1970's Walt Disney World photos.

Minnie1976

197710DWChuckampCharacte3r.jpg

sparky03

When my parents took us to WDW our first time in 1974, I remember driving our station wagon through what seemed like endless groves of orange trees to get there. That spectacle coupled with our day at the MK made Florida seem like paradise to a four year old boy from rural Kentucky.

ABQ

When my parents took us to WDW our first time in 1974, I remember driving our station wagon through what seemed like endless groves of orange trees to get there. That spectacle coupled with our day at the MK made Florida seem like paradise to a four year old boy from rural Kentucky.
I made my first trip in 1977. After taking a train, long ride, from Boston to Tampa, my mother renting a horrible Plymouth Hornet, vinyl seats, no A/C and driving the B Line Highway (I think it was called) with nothing but a die cast R2D2 to keep me busy, the MK WAS a paradise to me @ 7 years old.

ABQ

Since it's not in the park...that observation doesn't really mean anything. We also don't know the time of day it was taken or the time of year. But, yes, back in the 70's I don't believe that Disney even had strollers for rent. If they did they didn't have very many.
Where is that picture, if not in the Magic Kingdom park?

Minnie1976

Where is that picture, if not in the Magic Kingdom park?
If you are referring to the Country Bear picture in the rain with the 6 strollers. Yes, there were strollers in 1977 that Disney rented. There is no way we could have packed the trunk of the car with that big stroller in there. Disney rented them for $2 a day. When you returned it, you received a dollar back. I think to park your car was 50 cents. I can go back look at my old tickets. Yes, I'm a pack rat. I don't think back then you ever saw anyone with their own stroller. Back then there was only the Magic Kingdom.

ABQ

My mistake...I couldn't see the picture really well and thought it was the Hop Dee Doo Review building. Not doing well today.
Ahhh. I see. I wasn't trying to call you out or anything, just didn't know if the Jamboree may have run from a location similar to that of Pioneer Hall like the Hoop Dee Doo does still.

Goofyernmost

If you comment was directed at me, Minnmouse76, I have those moments too. Too many years back to remember. I have senior moments. HA! HA!
Tell me about it. This wasn't a senior moment (although it could have been) I just quickly glanced at the picture and for some reason Hoop Dee Doo jumped into my brain. :(

Minnie1976

Tell me about it. This wasn't a senior moment (although it could have been) I just quickly glanced at the picture and for some reason Hoop Dee Doo jumped into my brain. :(
Going to the Hoop Dee Doo this year. I haven't been since 1981. Can't wait. I will have to take a picture of the building. I was looking at picture of River Country. We only went once and I don't remember it. The only thing I remember is being so cold because it was early March and going to get in the heated pool.

Minnie1976

My parents have some photos from '79 you might like;
Disney_World___79_1_by_Dragonrider1227.jpg

Disney_World___79_2_by_Dragonrider1227.jpg

Disney_World___79_3_by_Dragonrider1227.jpg

Walt_Disney_World___79_7_by_Dragonrider1227.jpg

Walt_Disney_World___79_8_by_Dragonrider1227.jpg

Walt_Disney_World___79_9_by_Dragonrider1227.jpg

Walt_Disney_World___79_10_by_Dragonrider1227.jpg

Walt_Disney_World___79_11_by_Dragonrider1227.jpg

I have others but I decided to focus on the photos of things that are no longer there.

I love these pictures. Those were the days. No planning on where to go, no reservations days ahead a time, no spread sheets color coded(now we have an app for that on the iPhones we care). Oh and since no cellphones just enjoying the park. No scooters and there was no particular places to stroller park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom