1970's Walt Disney World photos.

Minnie1976

Summer 1979

MagicKingdomMickey.png
What a sweet picture!

The Empress Lilly

Does anyone else find themselves scanning the backgrounds of these pictures to see if they are in the pictures also?
Always! I must be in countless pictures. One day, one day, I'm going to dicover my family in the background.

I'm pretty sure some clever people in some garage somewhere are developing facial recognition software that will scan the entire internets for pictures of you. :cool:

EvilQueen-T

December 1972

Found our box of slides from our December ‘72 trip. Most of the slides are poor quality, very dark once scanned. These were a couple that turned out ok. Certainly nothing as good as the quality of some of the others on this thread.

6045481293_c5814c91e2_b.jpg

I am rockin’ those red knee highs and shoes!

6045388885_56cb49a05d_b.jpg

Mom was classic for cutting our heads off in photos!

6045414003_61208f679b_b.jpg

6045939300_a658c38980_b.jpg

Our first trip was only 2 months before your pics were taken (oct 72 for us) and we have the same problem with our old pics. my mom always had the kodak slides and then we'd come home and watch them on the big home projector with the wheel and my mom clicking away and explaining each pic.

disney9752

There were probably a number of reasons. The three I can think of was that the high class society of teenagers that are produced today have been accused of spitting on people below, just for fun. Also with this current society, if you don't guarantee that no one will be stupid enough to climb over the rail and fall to the ground below you are asking for a major lawsuit. That leads us to the probable real reason and that is that the lawyers told them along with the insurance companies, that because of the mental abilities of the aforementioned guests, it needed to be shut down. The only other (forth) is that is was an incredibly slow loading attraction and more of a burden then an wonderful attraction. And it also (fifth) totally exposed the backstage, roof tops, air conditioners and warts of MK. Other then that, I can't think of a reason. :hilarious:

lots of reasons, a cm death... heard ada compliance issues, plus the antique "computer" that ran it wouldn't survive the y2k chaos....

Goofyernmost

lots of reasons, a cm death... heard ada compliance issues, plus the antique "computer" that ran it wouldn't survive the y2k chaos....
I don't think that the CM death had anything to do with it. That was more of a coincidence that it happened just when the world (i.e. Lawyers) were becoming alarmed about the possibility of a Guest, under the influence, might find themselves falling to their deaths. Computer? Probably not, everything there was under older pre-Y2K technology. All they had to do was change it if they wanted the attraction to continue on.

WendyTinkerbell

Another reason the parks seem so empty, is that many of the pictures are in the fall/winter when Disney had "slow" season. This is before the marathons, competitions, and prolonged special events filled up the "slow" season. That was a period of time when families went on a Summer vacation. Many drove (visiting places on the way) and stayed for at least a week. Think National Lampoons Vacation. (In fact, I think I see the station wagon in the really pretty Contemporary photo).

Scuttle

Original Poster
Another reason the parks seem so empty, is that many of the pictures are in the fall/winter when Disney had "slow" season. This is before the marathons, competitions, and prolonged special events filled up the "slow" season. That was a period of time when families went on a Summer vacation. Many drove (visiting places on the way) and stayed for at least a week. Think National Lampoons Vacation. (In fact, I think I see the station wagon in the really pretty Contemporary photo).
I can't imagine what it was like in the 70's in Jan and Sept.

durhay

We used to spend New Years at WDW ('83,'84,'85,'86,'87). We would spend four days in the parks, usually from the 30th to the 2nd. We would switch hotels after New Years (we stayed on International Drive) because rates dropped dramatically, almost %50. The crowds dropped quite a bit too. Towards the end of that run everybody caught on and the rates didn't drop as much and the crowds stayed.

Mouse_Trap

I don't think for a second Y2K on a computer would have closed it, more likely a rumour because of when the ride closed. The ride computer wouldn't care what date it was, and even if it thought it was 1900 suddenly it wouldn't matter. So much Y2K was so overblown, in truth on a small number of critical systems were fixes actually important for.

I don't believe the safety angle because we get so many similar systems operational today, just think of the vast majority of ski lifts where you can raise the bar at any time.

Low capacity certainly, ADA would be a myth - especially as you could easily modify a car to accommodate a wheelchair. Even cost would surprise me as the systems are pretty basic engineering wise, I suppose they may have been at the point that the cabs needed replacing, I would assume a cable change happens more frequently.

The views of off-stage are certainly a valid point and definitely not in keeping with Walt theming - however wasn't it an opening day attraction? Making it initial installation a little out of keeping....

I would have thought a few incidents of projectiles being dropped/thrown coupled with a major overhaul requirement would have been the most likely explanation when coupled with the off-stage and low capacity issues.

loveofamouse

crazy to see how empty these pics look compared to nowadays. People did also dress a lot better. Now, travelling across the country and around the world is so much easier so there are more guests. Like an old post said, then you factor in all of the "junk" disney has added to the walkways, like food carts and decor. Fashion has just gone downhill for centuries. Every generation bares a little more than the last. By the 2100s, we'll be wearing just strips of cloth and even saying someone's name will be sexual harassment. lol. Looking at these old photos makes me realize why WDW has made the changes it has. There are WAY more people with very different attitudes about vacationing. Our society is so pressed for time and forward movement that we don't just chill, take our time, and enjoy our surroundings. Now, we expect to be entertained at all times. We can't even wait in line without expecting an interactive queue or an app. We can't wait in line period. There's too much to see and do in such a short amount of time before we get back to the office and school so we need fast passes. Now, we can't even let that be a random time. We need to know before we even start our vacation what time we will be riding rides.

Back when I was in school, we had year round schedules. Honestly, even as a kid, I loved it. I loved getting all of the breaks throughout the school year. It made planning trips so much easier. We could do fall break, christmas break, spring break week, a few weeks later at spring break session or summer. Now, kids only get christmas and summer, making us have to crunch our plans even more. So we rush to the parks, we rush from ride to ride, we rush for our food, and we have our rides and meals planned in advanced so there's no waiting so we can maximize our time. Now that I'm a parent, I see the pressure to be like this. Schools want to scream truancy if your kid misses 10 days in a whole year! That's ridiculous! My kids are all straight A students but I know my son's MAW trip and our 1 week family vacation will have them screaming at me. Kids can't be sick. Families get one week out of the school year for a vacation. I was in awe that I had to write an explanation to the school for taking my kids out the last day before chirstmas vacation because we were travelling out of state. Really? I need permission to travel with my children? Anyway. I digress. lol. The 70s were definitely a simpler time.

blueboxdoctor

I don't know about awesome clothes, but the times were great. I am a 70's/80's kid. Wouldn't change it for the world. The only thing cooler would to have been a 60's kid. I have two words for you: no technology - and we didn't know any better so we didn't care. :)

Corrected: no modern technology. You guys still had technology and probably couldn't imagine not having a record player, arcade games, etc.

But I digress, the one thing I do like somewhat more in terms of WDW from the past is the lower tech rides, I'm still a little disappointed they don't have the classic Snow White ride anymore. Yes, it was kind of lame, but it had a lot of Disney charm to it. The new coaster, to me, isn't anything special.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Corrected: no modern technology. You guys still had technology and probably couldn't imagine not having a record player, arcade games, etc.

But I digress, the one thing I do like somewhat more in terms of WDW from the past is the lower tech rides, I'm still a little disappointed they don't have the classic Snow White ride anymore. Yes, it was kind of lame, but it had a lot of Disney charm to it. The new coaster, to me, isn't anything special.
All the more reason to visit Disneyland where they have that ride AND Mr Toads still!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom