180 day ADR booking window to return

Pooh Lover

Like Fievel, I loved, loved, loved the 180 days! My planning for next trip starts as soon as I get home from WDW, so the 180 days was no problem and I always felt like I had a bit of an edge on those who hadn't booked yet or didn't plan that far out. Waiting for the day mark this year, for me, was killer.

MissM

If overseas guests (me) can successfully plan a schedule for parks and dining 6 months ahead of schedule then there's no reason why the locals can't plan their dining requirements this far out either.
That's the most nonsensical argument I've ever heard. Of COURSE someone international will know the exact day they're going to be at the park! It's a HUGE deal to get there. Someone who lives an hour away on the other hand is NOT planning to the day where they will be six months in advance! Do you personally know what you're going to cook for dinner six months out? Of course not! Same thing about what exact day I'll be or not be at Disney.a

I think 180 days out is absurd. Remembering to call in and book in August for a February birthday for example is just ridiculous. It also ties up reservations that might turn out that we don't need. Say we decide to go somewhere else. Say February comes along and we don't have the cash for a Disney trip. Say we get sick and are stuck in bed that weekend. Whatever. It's a long time out for someone who's not making a special vacation just to go there to know 100% they're going to use the booking.

I hate the whole ADR system just because it prevents any shred of spontaneity. Zip, zero, zilch. Even people who do plan their vacations out and get their reservations months in advance my arrive and realize they don't want that much food, or they over scheduled their days or that they rather try some place different. Or the menu's changed since you booked and your favorite item's not offered anymore. Too bad, so sad. Eat where you booked or get a burger.

Blah. I just think the whole thing stinks.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I am sure that this is going to make MissM really mad. I think that they should allow those staying on park to make ADR before others as they did a few years ago. We are good WDW spendersl paying more to stay on park, we use magical Express so we do not have cars, and we need somewhere to eat.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Suits me if it does, dont see a problem with long term planning, after all If I want to go to a gig or resturant thats popular I know I have to book in advance.

Bluewaves

I vote for no Disney Dining BS and a return of good food at Disney not the crap that we get now, maybe then I could get a waiter that cared just a little bit or more than 4 options for an appetizer, 4 for an entree and all uninspired and made as cheaply as possible.

I miss being able to go to a TS in any of the parks and manage to get a ADR for that day. After being to WDW many many times I don't feel the need to plan every moment of every day and just like to sort of go with the flow a bit, wake up in the morning and go to the bus stop and say whatever bus comes first thats we're going today type of thing. Unfortunately with the Dining Situation that usually means a burger at lunch time or dinner because god knows if you can walk into a park in the morning and get a reservation.

Carolwood

i vote for no disney dining bs and a return of good food at disney not the crap that we get now, maybe then i could get a waiter that cared just a little bit or more than 4 options for an appetizer, 4 for an entree and all uninspired and made as cheaply as possible.

I miss being able to go to a ts in any of the parks and manage to get a adr for that day. After being to wdw many many times i don't feel the need to plan every moment of every day and just like to sort of go with the flow a bit, wake up in the morning and go to the bus stop and say whatever bus comes first thats we're going today type of thing. Unfortunately with the dining situation that usually means a burger at lunch time or dinner because god knows if you can walk into a park in the morning and get a reservation.

Agreed!!!!

Captain Chaos

I think the 180 is a good thing; i always book my airfare, accomodations etc at least that far out. My next trip is 8/21 and I called exactly 90 days out and was shut out for any seating in canada and could not get a fantasmic dinner/show seating before 3pm.
I agree it's a lot of planning however once you have been there once you know all the restarants and the menu really does not change or vary much; especially for kids.

1. Airfare is normally CHEAPER a year in advance.

2. Hotels are normally booked a year in advance since you know the time frame you are taking your vacation already. Tell me tonight that you know you will be in the mood for a certain kind fo food on January 16, 2010, and I will call fraud. :)

3. Whether it is 90 or 180, you will find it hard to get certain places. Just because it is 180 days out doesn't mean it will be easier to book Le Cellier. Or in your case Fantasmic Dinner Show. I tried several times to book Le Cellier at the 180 day mark and failed. This year, yes at 90 days, I was able to secure am ADR during Food and Wine.

Captain Chaos

I don't travel 2600 miles to visit WDW and then hit restaurants that could be on my neighborhood corner.
These places could offer comp stretch limo service and free meals...................................No thank you.
I'll stay and pay on property.

Think what you want about off property places, but, the food is just as good, if not better... And cheaper too...

CAPTAIN HOOK

That's the most nonsensical argument I've ever heard. Of COURSE someone international will know the exact day they're going to be at the park! It's a HUGE deal to get there. Someone who lives an hour away on the other hand is NOT planning to the day where they will be six months in advance! Do you personally know what you're going to cook for dinner six months out? Of course not!

Its not non-sensical :-

1) It doesn't matter where you live - If you want to eat at a particular restaurant for a special occasion and know you have to book in advance to secure it, then thats what you do

2) No, I don't know whats for dinner in 6 months time unless I'm going to be in WDW

and finally,

3) I have just as much chance of being ill on that day as the rest of the world - if I can't go, I can't go :shrug:

Scar Junior

Remember how fun it used to be when you would walk into Epcot ... ride Spaceship Earth, exit and walk over a few feet and talk to a computer screen with an interactive customer service video hookup ... and 5 minutes later be thinking about how delicious the teppanyaki Mitsukoshi Dining Room will taste in a few hours?

Craig & Lisa

When it was 90 days out it was a hassle sometimes to get what you wanted, 180 days gave you more time to find something if what you didn't originally want was available. We are not locals living here in NJ, but we still have to plan ahaead. It's part of the excitment, the thrill of getting things set for the vacation too. And this year it ws a bit more difficult getting what we wanted, so I like the 180 days, and again if it's too much of a hassle, then don't go. And looking at reality, with so many people going to WDW how in your right mind do you think you can actually walk up to a place and think you can be seated right then and there??? :confused::shrug:

durangojim

And looking at reality, with so many people going to WDW how in your right mind do you think you can actually walk up to a place and think you can be seated right then and there??? :confused::shrug:

Prior to free dining, it wasn't that uncommon to be seated within 30 minutes of walking up to a restaurant. I can remember back in the 80s and early 90s of having to go to guest services in the park as soon as they opened to make reservations for the day. I wish there was a greater ability to be spontaneous at WDW when choosing a sit down restaurant.

PirateFrank

Does anyone have an idea when they might switch back to 180 days? Between the rumors of free dining being extended through december and now this, I'm scared to death that I'm going to have a bloody impossible time getting my ADRs at the end of August.

I'm actually hoping that a general free dining for december doesn't happen until after my 90 day mark in late august...and that the 90 day window doesn't get extended before that.

Knowing my luck, they'll extend the window when I'm away at the end of July! :(

GothMickey

Remember how fun it used to be when you would walk into Epcot ... ride Spaceship Earth, exit and walk over a few feet and talk to a computer screen with an interactive customer service video hookup ... and 5 minutes later be thinking about how delicious the teppanyaki Mitsukoshi Dining Room will taste in a few hours?

Those were the days.

GothMickey

When it was 90 days out it was a hassle sometimes to get what you wanted, 180 days gave you more time to find something if what you didn't originally want was available. We are not locals living here in NJ, but we still have to plan ahaead. It's part of the excitment, the thrill of getting things set for the vacation too. And this year it ws a bit more difficult getting what we wanted, so I like the 180 days, and again if it's too much of a hassle, then don't go. And looking at reality, with so many people going to WDW how in your right mind do you think you can actually walk up to a place and think you can be seated right then and there??? :confused::shrug:

Hate to tell you, 180 days won't make it easier to get a dining option. Let's get that straight. Whether it is 90 or 180, the most popular places will book up first. What's next? Complaining you can't get dining at 180 so Disney should make it 360 days?

GothMickey

Does anyone have an idea when they might switch back to 180 days? Between the rumors of free dining being extended through december and now this, I'm scared to death that I'm going to have a bloody impossible time getting my ADRs at the end of August.

I'm actually hoping that a general free dining for december doesn't happen until after my 90 day mark in late august...and that the 90 day window doesn't get extended before that.

Knowing my luck, they'll extend the window when I'm away at the end of July! :(

Hopefully they don't extend it at all. In fact, they should do away with ADRs and just do the walk up like they used to do. Of course, this would mean getting rid of free dining, which I am all for getting rid of.

Some people do plan their vacations only 5 months in advance of going, maybe even four. So now you are all saying that these people should be left out of dining cause they didn't know if they could go to Disney 6 months prior? Again, 90 days out is sufficient. No need for 180 days.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
As a semi local who loves to make last minute weekend trips I would love for the return of being able to do last minute table service dining. But.....those days are long gone and there is a simple reason why.

To maximize the profits of the restaurants.

For a restaurant to make as much money as possible you must have ever table filled for every second of every day that restaurant is open. It is simply impossible to do that if you do not take reservations. Reservation force people to eat at off times. Without them restaurants would be all but vacant from 11-12 and from 3-5 and so on. Disney is doing exactly what they need to do make sure that their cash cow produces as much milk as possible.

If you think for one second that a publicly traded company is going to take a sharp reduction in profits to make spontaneous TS dining possible for 2% of its clientele all I can say is that you will find fantasy land just behind the big castle at the end of Main St.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom