14yo alone for a while at WDW

The Mom

Premium Member
Why don't you go to a nice resraurant in one of the parks (Epcot?) She can explore the park for a few hours by herself but you will be close. After dinner check-in with her, then if everything is ok, send her to explore more and you and DH explore. I would think in the parks would be the safest place. I don't feel safe at DTD by myself but I do it the parks. My local mall is a far worse place to be by myself than WDW but I still go shopping. At 14 my mom let me go places by myself and it made me more indepedent.

This is exactly what I would suggest. Maybe you could let the younger one stay with her sister, give them money to get a burger or something, let them have a cell phone, and just have them check in with you every 30 minutes.

Epcot would be my first choice, but the Brown Derby at MGM would be another.

At 14, my daughter spent 3 weeks touring Europe with a student group, so I'm a bit more relaxed than some. ;) She has since been to India, Africa, and Europe (London and Rome, this time) with other college students.

I leave my son (14) alone all the time when we go out to dinner and he chooses not to join us, or isn't invited. He puts all the deadbolts on, and has a phone nearby.

He's bigger than I am now; he's more capable of protecting ME!

Msully

Night i am skecthy about letting a 14 year old due.. During the day i would definately let mine. You can't let what happened to others weigh you down unless WDW was #1 crime rated place.

Shere_Khan

I think that the people saying this is on the basis that they have a babysitter or a friend to stay with them when back home. I certainly wouldnt leave my 14 year old alone back here in the UK.

I think that if you are going to do anything other than taking her with you they letting her roam the park is probably the second in line - however if some wierdo also roaming the park was to spot her wondering here there and everywhere, ALONE, yes ok if shes kicking and screaming as hes/shes trying to take her out of the park folk would notice but whos to say they dont drag her in to the toilet, behind some bushes and/or a wall and commit some horrific crime? As much as i dont like to talk about this kinda stuff - this is what the worlds coming too.

Ok with a babysitter or friend, I can see that. But then again at 14 years old I was the babysitter for other people's kids so this is definitely a tough call. I just know that when I was a teenager and alone in my house I was much more scared then I would be in a small hotel room.
And you are right about the parks as well, but I find that would be the best bet to let her actually go somewhere. If they are deciding to not let her go anywhere, and she will actually abide by it, then I think she would be perfectly safe in the hotel room for two hours. Just if anyone else comes to the door she needs to not open it and call the front desk.

The only other thing I can suggest is let her go to the same restaurant as you and sit at a table that is not in sight or across the restaurant, so that she feels independant that she doesn't need to eat with you, and you can have alone time with your husband.

Uh...Natalie Holloway is a perfect example of exactly what I am talking about. She was in a foreign country, had too much to drink, and went off (willingly) with strange men she did not know. She made several stupid mistakes and put herself in a bad situation. Take the chains off a little at a time so your child is not so foolish by the time she is 18.

ummm you made my point for me.....even at 18 Natalie Holloway made poor decisions and bad mistakes that put her in danger......so how much more could a 14year old not be able to make right decisions, or realize a dangerous situation.

I don't understand the "wait until you get home to go out to eat alone" argument sorry.
I don't feel that your child is any safer in your home when you go out to dinner back home then she would be at a resort.
At a home there are several more places for someone to break in, and not as many people around at night to help her if this did happen.
If you tell her to stay in the room and you trust that she will do just that, I think she would be perfectly safe in the resort room. She should not answer the door for anyone but you.
Now I am not sure if I would let her roam the resort alone at night though. I feel a resort is less safe then a park like MK. At a resort you most of the time walk past several room doors in which a person could easily grab you when walking by. Even I feel a little uneasy at night in hotels.
I think if you took the bus with her to MK or Epcot and then let her go to the park for a couple hours and pick her up inside the parks to go back to the resort that would be just fine. No one can take her out of the park without her screaming and crying to attract attention. Just do not let her use transportation alone because once outside of the park bad things could easily happen without anyone knowing.
I agree with several of you that safety is best but I also do feel teenagers should be given a little inch. They will be more rebellious when they hit college years and finally get out on their own if they were never given trust.

I wouldnt let my 14 year old at home by theirselves also.....just for the record

bryPOD

ummm you made my point for me.....even at 18 Natalie Holloway made poor decisions and bad mistakes that put her in danger......so how much more could a 14year old not be able to make right decisions, or realize a dangerous situation.

The age doesn't matter as much: when I was 14 some of my best friends were 15,16,17, and 18 year olds, and when we would go out (mall, movies, theme parks, etc.) parents would be relieved that I was going because I was the most mature and clear headed, and would keep the others in line... At 23 this still happens when going out to the bars with my friends from home, their mothers get nervous when I'm not around.

Having said that, the OP simply asked for suggestion on what their 14 year old should do, and to be quite honest, from the responses, this group isn't who you should be asking, it is your daughter.

So to the OP, look over some of the suggestions given, ask your daughter what she wants to do, enjoy a night away from the kids, and most importantly have fun while your kids still want to have fun with you.

kirst_al UK

And you are right about the parks as well, but I find that would be the best bet to let her actually go somewhere. If they are deciding to not let her go anywhere, and she will actually abide by it, then I think she would be perfectly safe in the hotel room for two hours. Just if anyone else comes to the door she needs to not open it and call the front desk.

On our last trip to the world we decided to nip down to the beach at the Poly. We were actually staying offsite but decided that the beach would be a good place to watch wishes. I was really surprised that we could do this and ended up virtually get in the resort - as we walked down to the beach we obviously passed some stairs that looked like were leading to the internal corridors......im sorry but are all the resorts like this?? If there was any chance whatsoever that random people wondering about could actually get in theres no way on this earth i would leave a 14 year old alone. She may not even have time to call the front desk. Does the resorts not have babysitters - not full on babysitters but someone that could come and check on folks kids who wish to leave them alone in their room if going for a meal for example?

clareita

I understand people not wanting to let a solo 14 year old wander around DTD, but a 14 year old should be capable of staying in a locked hotel room. Don't most 14 year olds babysit - i.e. stay alone at someone else's home while looking after smaller children? I have several responsible young teenagers babysit my young children.

lilclerk

I understand people not wanting to let a solo 14 year old wander around DTD, but a 14 year old should be capable of staying in a locked hotel room. Don't most 14 year olds babysit - i.e. stay alone at someone else's home while looking after smaller children? I have several responsible young teenagers babysit my young children.

I babysat at 14. :shrug:
I'll say this. I don't have kids. But when I was 14, I would have been terrified being alone in a theme park. With friends or siblings is one thing, but totally alone? No way.
Maybe you should ask her if she's okay with it, and if she is, leave her in the resort room, locked every way possible, with some movies and snacks.

WDWBro

I'm 15 years old (boy) and I am allowed to go to a park by myself rather frequently, especially during ESPN: The Weekend, when I like to run around and do EVERYTHING. I know that my parents and older siblings are only a cell phone call and a bus trip away.

That said, I've been to WDW at least 20 times, and I am a GUY. Believe me, my sister (18 now) has experienced many a creeper in her time spent alone at the park. It's your decision.

Eyorefan

This is exactly what I would suggest. Maybe you could let the younger one stay with her sister, give them money to get a burger or something, let them have a cell phone, and just have them check in with you every 30 minutes.

Epcot would be my first choice, but the Brown Derby at MGM would be another.

At 14, my daughter spent 3 weeks touring Europe with a student group, so I'm a bit more relaxed than some. ;) She has since been to India, Africa, and Europe (London and Rome, this time) with other college students.

I leave my son (14) alone all the time when we go out to dinner and he chooses not to join us, or isn't invited. He puts all the deadbolts on, and has a phone nearby.

He's bigger than I am now; he's more capable of protecting ME!

Thank you! I couldn't agree more. I wasn't going to comment on this thread, because parenting is personnal, but I can't believe what I am reading. Do some of you acctually still get babysitters for your 14 year olds? I think the only time I would get a babysitter for someone that age would be if I was going to be gone over night, and then it would be to make sure they didn't throw a party in my house.

kirst_al UK

Seeing astho the thread starter has not posted since the 4th post and has not given us any idea of their thoughts i think this is just going to be one of those threads that going to to round and round in circles and will continue forever :rolleyes: !!

Obviously many people have posted their views but i think now its down to the parents. Only they know how mature, how reliable and how trustworthy their daughter is to either leave her in a hotel room or in a park.

:wave:

well i deal with 14 year olds all day I work as a police officer assigned to a middle school. And I can tell you some of your children might be capable of staying safe, and doing all the right things, but most of the ones I come in contact with on a daily basis are truely not capable of such as task.......

Of course I am not about to get into an argument here on the boards, I just offered my humble opinion which is my own. :rolleyes:

Shere_Khan

Seeing astho the thread starter has not posted since the 4th post and has not given us any idea of their thoughts i think this is just going to be one of those threads that going to to round and round in circles and will continue forever :rolleyes: !!

:wave:

I was just noticing this myself. Well at least the thread hasn't turn nasty yet. I feel we are still having a nice discussion. :)

well i deal with 14 year olds all day I work as a police officer assigned to a middle school. And I can tell you some of your children might be capable of staying safe, and doing all the right things, but most of the ones I come in contact with on a daily basis are truely not capable of such as task.......

Of course I am not about to get into an argument here on the boards, I just offered my humble opinion which is my own.

No you are right, alot of them aren't capable of it.
I think if this girl is trustworthy and has not been in trouble before, she should be given the opportunity to maybe visit a park or stay in the room alone for two hours.

bigtotoro

Right, so don't send your 14 year old to a bar in Aruba. Also, raise your child not to make stupid decisions. If Natalie Holloway had not had such a sheltered upbringing, maybe she would've known how to handle herself in that situation. If her stupid friends had not had similar upbringings, they would not have let her walk out of the bar with two strange men. I can maybe see the issue with DTD. It's pretty open to the outside, and is not the most controlled area. I'm okay with the parks. Give her a cell phone and a schedule of times to check in. If you won't leave her in a locked hot room...well...I don't know what to tell you. You are freakishly overprotective or you do not trust your daughter. If it's the former, you will be unleashing a young lady on a world that she is not prepared to deal in a few short years. If it's the latter...well...the two of you have issues.

kirst_al UK

I was just noticing this myself. Well at least the thread hasn't turn nasty yet. I feel we are still having a nice discussion. :)

Which is why i got in there fast :ROFLOL: i feel we are too - but you never know......i think the A-WORD (argument) may be just around the corner..... :(

*obviously not fast enough..........

kirst_al UK

Right, so don't send your 14 year old to a bar in Aruba. Also, raise your child not to make stupid decisions. If Natalie Holloway had not had such a sheltered upbringing, maybe she would've known how to handle herself in that situation. If her stupid friends had not had similar upbringings, they would not have let her walk out of the bar with two strange men. I can maybe see the issue with DTD. It's pretty open to the outside, and is not the most controlled area. I'm okay with the parks. Give her a cell phone and a schedule of times to check in. If you won't leave her in a locked hot room...well...I don't know what to tell you. You are freakishly overprotective or you do not trust your daughter. If it's the former, you will be unleashing a young lady on a world that she is not prepared to deal in a few short years. If it's the latter...well...the two of you have issues.

Over here in the UK i must say we dont know alot about Natalee Holloway - how do you mean "she had such a sheltered up bringing?"

Well yes its common sense to bring your kids up not to make stupid decisions.....do you have children? I must state i don't however i am aware that it is easier said than done !!

As i've said i dont know what happened to Natalee but if you are blaming a sheltered up bringing for her leaving with two strange men i'm sorry but that's not right....

happymom52003

Are you a parent? Just curious.
It does not matter how you raise your child. It is OTHER people you have to worry about. It is just like driving....you can be the safest, most careful driver in the world with a perfect driving record, but if a drunk idiot runs a red light and hits you then you are dead. There are so many girls and woman (and boys for that matter).....ALL ages....that are taken from Target parking lots, while jogging in "safe" neighborhoods, or even from their homes. It can happen anywhere to anyone, NO MATTER HOW CAREFUL you are. You make it sound like any bad thing that happens to kids or teenagers is their fault or their parents fault. Of course stupid decsions can put you at higher risk,. And I dont care how "trustworthy" you think a 14 year old might be....they do not have the knowledge or experiece to properly deal with all emergency situations...and anyone who works with them on a regular basis (like the police officer who posted before) would agree with this statement. I am a former teacher, and that is why I would never let a 14 year old babysit my children.....that is just too young. When I was 14, I THOUGHT I was mature, as most 14 year olds do. But I made stupid mistakes that I would NEVER make now. Heck, I made stupid mistakes when I was 20 that I would never make now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom