14yo alone for a while at WDW

Jesùs_Carioca

If you feel bad over letting her stay at Downtown Disney for the night, specifically inform her to stay INSIDE Disney Quest for the time that she is alone. It is a fairly safe place inside, much more heavilly guarded than the parks in general, and very very very few places to exit.

I do recall my uncle doing that to me before at 14 or so. I mean, it isn't bad at all... just so long as she stays entertained at Disney Quest. Which, isn't too hard at all for just one night.

Nemo14

wow...when I was fourteen, all of 5 years ago, my parents were putting me on the Long Island Railroad into Jamaica Queens (anyone not familiar with the area, it's "fiddy" cent's hometown, where he got shot as many times as he brags) where i would then wait on a street corner for an MTA bus, across the stree from a meth clinic every day to get to school....all of this is my catholic school uniform. and my parents are both retired from the NYPD so they've pretty much seen the worse. at t 14 i was also allowed to go into manhattan with friends to hang out. I guess opinions on this stuff varies a lot...:lookaroun

i think disney is a fine place to let her explore some independence
You might feel differently when you have kids of your own.....

chels26

I don't think its the best idea. I think if your two kids were together, i think thats a different story. Alone at night can be scary, even for an older woman, or man for that matter. I would also suggest having her go one of the parks instead.

wickedfan07

I know that my parents would have never let me or my younger sister out alone in a park when we were 14. On our trip this year we did have some limited time in the parks by ourselves, but we were a month shy of 18 and 16, respectively. Most of the time when we were "by ourselves" our parents were somewhere else in the park. We were having our own fun, but they were around and minutes away if we needed them for any reason.

Something else for you to consider: Whatever you choose, make sure its something you're completely comfortable with. If you're not totally confident it will work out, your evening will be more about worrying about your daughter and less about spending some "alone time" with your husband.

If I were a parent, I wouldn't let my 14 year-old be alone in a park, but that's just my opinion. But its probably a good idea to see what your daughter would like to do with that time. See what she has in mind and see if you can't agree on something that she'll enjoy and you'll feel comfortable. Maybe both your kids will want to hang out together? Talk to both of them and try to get some ideas from what they think.

I hope you have an excellent trip! :)

MattBoom

I think if she stayed inside DisneyQuest until you personally came to get her, she'd be fine. You could even let some of the staff there know what you were doing. You could even have dinner right next door at House of Blues, Wolfgang Puck's or Bongos.

gardenia

Absolutely not!!!!

Agree!!! Read the newspapers, watch the news. No one should leave a minor (under 18) by themselves, in an area that attracts millions of people of ALL KINDS from all over the world. Unless they are willing to end up in the headlines, like the McCanns did.

I'mtheonlyone

I agree with everyone about not letting her be alone. I have brought multiple high school marching bands to the parks and they are always REQUIRED to be in groups of at least two (preferrably three) or more. (remember the "buddy"system?)

In addition DTD at night is usually a little more adult orientated. Leaving her at that time probably would not be the best idea.

DABIGCHEEZ

I would not let her stay anywhere but in your room, no DTD, parks, or pools. Too many wackos in the world and their at WDW too. If there was more than one teenager it might be different. Is a steak dinner together wherever, worth the risk of something happening, slight as it may be? IMHO, I think not.

accord99cutie

Premium Member
At 14 I remember going on vacation and going to the pool without my mohter, I was very VERY independent (still am) and looked older than I was at 14... I have a 2 yr old daughter and if she is anything like me I will let her go to the pool, or walk around the parks when she gets to be 14. Again, i think it is personal preference. If the hotel/resort pool is close to the room, and it is a fairly busy area that she would be walking I say let her stay at the resort... I would not let a 14 year old go to DTD tho later in the night alone. I think whatever you would be confortable with and She would be comfortable with is what you should do.

accord99cutie

Premium Member
I agree with everyone about not letting her be alone. I have brought multiple high school marching bands to the parks and they are always REQUIRED to be in groups of at least two (preferrably three) or more. (remember the "buddy"system?)

In addition DTD at night is usually a little more adult orientated. Leaving her at that time probably would not be the best idea.
I think i was safer being alone at 14 at a resort pool, then when I was in HS at Disneyland with our marching band, with my group of friends. We were, how to say this without making myself look bad..., well, we were a little revealing with our clothes, and quite the flirts. (the word I was gonna use was not family friendly). Im not sure comparing a 14 yr old girl to HS groups of girls is a good idea atleast in my opinion.

StitchFan21

Why don't you go to a nice resraurant in one of the parks (Epcot?) She can explore the park for a few hours by herself but you will be close. After dinner check-in with her, then if everything is ok, send her to explore more and you and DH explore. I would think in the parks would be the safest place. I don't feel safe at DTD by myself but I do it the parks. My local mall is a far worse place to be by myself than WDW but I still go shopping. At 14 my mom let me go places by myself and it made me more indepedent.

CoffeeJedi

Good lord you people are paranoid!
She's 14, that's high school right? She's firmly a teenager. In another 2 years she'll be able to DRIVE. Good grief, let her have some fun at Disney World for crying out loud.
DTD? Ok, sure, there are drunken idiots there. But what in the world is wrong with the theme parks?!?

People are so paranoid about their kids nowadays. I was just talking to a coworker about this. She won't let her 9 year old out of the house in the summer time while she's at work. I remember being 9, and I wasn't allowed INSIDE the house during summer. We had bikes and a creek and woods to explore. The worst part is, she had a similar experience growing up, yet could not justify why her son is denied the same joy.

I saw a graph recently about the "roaming area" of the average kid by generation. It shrank consistently over the decades. This is incredibly sad IMHO. Don't give in to the media hype about everyone out to get your children. Let them have unstructured play time outside in the world, its GOOD for them.

RayLaVeau

She's 14, that's high school right? She's firmly a teenager. In another 2 years she'll be able to DRIVE. Good grief, let her have some fun at Disney World for crying out loud.
DTD? Ok, sure, there are drunken idiots there. But what in the world is wrong with the theme parks?!?

People are so paranoid about their kids nowadays. I was just talking to a coworker about this. She won't let her 9 year old out of the house in the summer time while she's at work. I remember being 9, and I wasn't allowed INSIDE the house during summer. We had bikes and a creek and woods to explore. The worst part is, she had a similar experience growing up, yet could not justify why her son is denied the same joy.

I saw a graph recently about the "roaming area" of the average kid by generation. It shrank consistently over the decades. This is incredibly sad IMHO. Don't give in to the media hype about everyone out to get your children. Let them have unstructured time outside in the world, its GOOD for them.

I agree with you but, be sure to have them check in with you frequently, even if it does invade your time...I have a teen or two and do "Worry" but am not overly concerned that they will make bad judgements...In WDW?
well....hey the world does have its share of freaks, but with proper training in the parenting dept....its really a personal call. Do you trust them?
I let my 13 year old free at WDW but at home? no way! :)
honestly use you judgement of them...just my 2¢ worth
Peace
R

bigtotoro

I saw a graph recently about the "roaming area" of the average kid by generation. It shrank consistently over the decades. This is incredibly sad IMHO. Don't give in to the media hype about everyone out to get your children. Let them have unstructured play time outside in the world, its GOOD for them.
Yes. What you said. 14 is not a child. Let go. Yes, there are people in the world that would do her harm. They will be there in 3 years, too. Take the chains off and let her learn to take care of herself.

mickeymouse2818

I believe I was around 14 when my parents allowed me to roam the parks on my own for a few hours. I would suggest you ask your daughter if she feels comfortable being in the one of the parks by herself. If she is, then I would suggest that you tell her to have her cell phone on at all times and check on her maybe every hour or so. She'll probably spending alot of time in line then anything else. If she isn't, then she has the option of shopping or swimming at the resort. I personally wouldn't recommend leaving her at DTD unless you are going to be in the same area. In that case you can give her time to shop at some of the stores and possibly meet you later on that evening for dessert. Personally, I don't think it is wise to keep her locked up in the hotel room for several hours, especially if she doesn't want to.

Just my 2¢

saltmom1

Why don't you let her bring a friend with her to WDW ? That way there would be two and you would probably feel a lot better about letting her on her own.- not DtD at night, though.

sweetpee_1993

Everyone is entitled to their own safety zones when it comes to their children. Each parent is clearly trying to make the best decisions they can to be the best parent(s) that they can.

IMO, and this is just me, there's a time and place for independance. When we go to Target, Walmart, Best Buy, Bass Pro Shops, or some other large, interesting store I allow my sons (ages 9 & 11) to go off together in the same store I am in as long as they have their cell phone and stay together. We even sneak around every now and then to check that they are staying together. It gives them the independant time and us a chance to see how well they listen and think on their feet. I personally wouldn't be cool with one of my sons going to DisneyQuest alone at this age or most likely 14 years old. DisneyQuest is loud, bustling, and has a lot of dark corners, etc. I would be afraid. Call me paranoid but I grew up in Central Florida. I have family who still live there. You should hear how they lecture me when I take my family to WDW now that I'm an adult about all the little "safe" things to remember. How many people walk out of their rooms on property in the morning anxious to get to the park in time for EMH or a Priority Seating and walk off before the room door has shut all the way and they have checked to make sure it's secure? Some pick-pockets are masters at what they do. In a crowded bus or line they could easily do the bump-n-grab technique and you would know nothing. And what better place for a pedophile to hang out looking for their next target than WDW where it's absolutely loaded with kids??? They don't have to snatch a kid and run out of the park with them. There are lots of corners, little areas they can take a kid and do what they please before you've even realized your child is missing. People on vacation let their guards down because they are in that "zone" of all things good in the Disney life. It's a fact that makes life easy for those seeking out the weak to prey upon be it theft or worse. If you think these things don't go on at WDW, think again. Do you really think you would know it if it did? How damaging to WDW business would that be?

My point is this: don't knock people for operating within their safety zones. Some are more cautious than others. Perhaps some should be more cautious than they are. It's not for us to judge each other. We need to take care of ourselves the best we can with as much info as possible. The OP asked for opinions and thoughts on the matter. Nobody here is right or wrong. They're just people entitled to their different thoughts and feelings. Different isn't wrong. It's just different. :eek:

bigtotoro

Everyone is entitled to their own safety zones when it comes to their children. Each parent is clearly trying to make the best decisions they can to be the best parent(s) that they can.

IMO, and this is just me, there's a time and place for independance. When we go to Target, Walmart, Best Buy, Bass Pro Shops, or some other large, interesting store I allow my sons (ages 9 & 11) to go off together in the same store I am in as long as they have their cell phone and stay together. We even sneak around every now and then to check that they are staying together. It gives them the independant time and us a chance to see how well they listen and think on their feet. I personally wouldn't be cool with one of my sons going to DisneyQuest alone at this age or most likely 14 years old. DisneyQuest is loud, bustling, and has a lot of dark corners, etc. I would be afraid. Call me paranoid but I grew up in Central Florida. I have family who still live there. You should hear how they lecture me when I take my family to WDW now that I'm an adult about all the little "safe" things to remember. How many people walk out of their rooms on property in the morning anxious to get to the park in time for EMH or a Priority Seating and walk off before the room door has shut all the way and they have checked to make sure it's secure? Some pick-pockets are masters at what they do. In a crowded bus or line they could easily do the bump-n-grab technique and you would know nothing. And what better place for a pedophile to hang out looking for their next target than WDW where it's absolutely loaded with kids??? They don't have to snatch a kid and run out of the park with them. There are lots of corners, little areas they can take a kid and do what they please before you've even realized your child is missing. People on vacation let their guards down because they are in that "zone" of all things good in the Disney life. It's a fact that makes life easy for those seeking out the weak to prey upon be it theft or worse. If you think these things don't go on at WDW, think again. Do you really think you would know it if it did? How damaging to WDW business would that be?

My point is this: don't knock people for operating within their safety zones. Some are more cautious than others. Perhaps some should be more cautious than they are. It's not for us to judge each other. We need to take care of ourselves the best we can with as much info as possible. The OP asked for opinions and thoughts on the matter. Nobody here is right or wrong. They're just people entitled to their different thoughts and feelings. Different isn't wrong. It's just different. :eek:
Except for the fact that she'll be 17 in three years with no concept on how to handle herself. These are the kids that goto college and in end up in the hospital with alcohol poisoning. They've never had any independence and don't know how to deal with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom