13 year old - sit down dinner

KrzyKtty

Original Poster
My 13 year old isn't picky really, but I know none of the adult entrees at Space 220 or BOG for example are something he would like. I have no problem still paying the full adult price for him, but would they let him order his entee selection from the child section? He really isn't picky, but he also isn't used to those sort of fancy flavors.

DHoy

Here's an old forum, I believe same policies apply today. You should have no issue with him ordering off the kids menu.

KrzyKtty

Original Poster

Here's an old forum, I believe same policies apply today. You should have no issue with him ordering off the kids menu.
I did see that 1 and read through it, but it was so old, with everything that has changed lately I wasn't sure if it's still applied anymore. Ty.

DHoy

Funny, I saw this. Had a conversation with a family member earlier tonight about how coworkers ordered off the kids menu from Chipotle when we do group orders on Fridays.

Hcalvert

My son is the same age. I ordered him the $29 kids meal at the Space 220 lounge (spaghetti). They charged us $29 for the meal. If you have a lounge reservation, you have a choice to do prix fixe or order off the lounge menu. While we opted for the prix fixe for our son, my husband and I ordered off the lounge menu. This was during Christmas week.

Last edited:

KrzyKtty

Original Poster
My son is the same age. I ordered him the $29 kids meal at the Space 220 lounge (spaghetti). They charged us $29 for the meal. If you have a lounge reservation, you have a choice to do prix fixe or order off the lounge menu, while we opted for the prix fixe for our son. My husband and I ordered off the lounge menu. This was during Christmas week.
Thank you very much for this!!

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I’m a family of 4. Sometimes DW walks up and orders 3 kids meals. It’s not a question of price. It’s portion. And whether or not we’re looking to just tide things over until a TS.

You should have no problem. Most CMs aren’t there to “enforce”. They just want to make it through their shift. And if they are waiting on you - they want no barrier that’ll impact their tip

correcaminos

Sometimes the portions at the sit downs are too much for my kid - I expect to change as he's 14 now, but earlier this summer (he was 13 then) we asked for a kid's meal a couple times at a sit down without issue. For prix fixe expect the adult price instead.

nickys

Premium Member
I’m a family of 4. Sometimes DW walks up and orders 3 kids meals. It’s not a question of price. It’s portion. And whether or not we’re looking to just tide things over until a TS.

You should have no problem. Most CMs aren’t there to “enforce”. They just want to make it through their shift. And if they are waiting on you - they want no barrier that’ll impact their tip
I would agree for most restaurants. But where it operates a prix fixe, like the buffets, I think you would have to pay the adult price.

If you turn up at Chef Mickey’s and tell them that your 15 yo daughter doesn’t eat much and will just eat from the kids buffet, they will still charge the adult price. I’d be very surprised if things were different at anywhere that has a fixed price.

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
Question for those adults who go to table service restaurants and only order the childs menu. Do you tip at a dollar value consistent with what you would have spent if you’d ordered an adults meal? If not, you are short-changing the service staff whose tip is now lower and as a result, their income is now lower even though they needed to spend the same amount of their time serving you during the time you occupied the seat.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Question for those adults who go to table service restaurants and only order the childs menu. Do you tip at a dollar value consistent with what you would have spent if you’d ordered an adults meal? If not, you are short-changing the service staff whose tip is now lower and as a result, their income is now lower even though they needed to spend the same amount of their time serving you during the time you occupied the seat.
Yes, and the same if we split a meal.

nickys

Premium Member
I've eaten off the child's menu often in quite a few places, as I'm an adult on my own it's obviously for me and never had a problem.
Absolutely.

But the OP was asking about restaurants that have a fixed price. Like with buffets you usually have to pay the adult price if you’re over 10. I’ve yet to hear anyone who paid a kids price for an adult to dine at a buffet or prix fixe TS restaurant.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I would agree for most restaurants. But where it operates a prix fixe, like the buffets, I think you would have to pay the adult price.

If you turn up at Chef Mickey’s and tell them that your 15 yo daughter doesn’t eat much and will just eat from the kids buffet, they will still charge the adult price. I’d be very surprised if things were different at anywhere that has a fixed price.

Yes. Buffets would be different. But ordering off of a QS or TS menu should be okay. Unless the entire party went Child menu. Which I suppose could happen.

KrzyKtty

Original Poster
Absolutely.

But the OP was asking about restaurants that have a fixed price. Like with buffets you usually have to pay the adult price if you’re over 10. I’ve yet to hear anyone who paid a kids price for an adult to dine at a buffet or prix fixe TS restaurant.
In all fairness, I have absolutely no problem paying the adult price. I was just curious for example at BOG for dinner, If my son could order something off of the kid's menu, but I still pay the adult price for it. I really don't care about the money, I just want to find something he can eat. I think I got around the Space 220 issue, because I'm pretty sure he'll enjoy their burger on their lunch menu. So we will go for lunch instead of dinner. But I didn't see a whole lot on BOG's dinner menu that he would really enjoy.

correcaminos

We tip excessively as a whole. I will sometimes split a meal or get kid portion myself and we'll add that in to the tip. Much like at home if I go to a place with a $10 or so lunch special I tend to double the tip.

correcaminos

In all fairness, I have absolutely no problem paying the adult price. I was just curious for example at BOG for dinner, If my son could order something off of the kid's menu, but I still pay the adult price for it. I really don't care about the money, I just want to find something he can eat. I think I got around the Space 220 issue, because I'm pretty sure he'll enjoy their burger on their lunch menu. So we will go for lunch instead of dinner. But I didn't see a whole lot on BOG's dinner menu that he would really enjoy.
Tbh I'd skip BOG. Since the prix fixe I don't think it's worth the stress of booking or the price. Especially if paying adult price for a kids meal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom