13 year old - sit down dinner

Club Cooloholic

The alternative is a family deciding not to eat at a restaurant if not everyone would eat from the menu. From what I've seen of kids menus, the offerings are hardly high dollar plates.
Exactly. So adults tucking in to two 10 dollar entrees are not helping that restaurant all that much. And if we are talking about WDW from what I hear there are plenty of people willing to go into the restaurant.

HRHPrincessAriel

Almost everyplace we went to over NY let my 11 year old order off the kids menu. We ate at Sci Fi, Space220 Lounge, Coral Reef, Tusker House, and Plaza. Only place that made her order off Adult Menu was Hollywood and Vine for dinner. Thankfully she cleared her plate of Salmon and Broccolini.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Almost everyplace we went to over NY let my 11 year old order off the kids menu. We ate at Sci Fi, Space220 Lounge, Coral Reef, Tusker House, and Plaza. Only place that made her order off Adult Menu was Hollywood and Vine for dinner. Thankfully she cleared her plate of Salmon and Broccolini.
Generally speaking…nobody would care except at the buffets…and they don’t carbon date you there either

im a rule follower by nature…so it I just pay and don’t think much of it…but it is an absurd policy for such limited, high prices menus to be applied to a 10 year old.

sometimes “insanity”’is just too insane

Club Cooloholic

Right…so many restaurants in distress there 😳
I'm confused, so what is the reason an adult would order of a kids menu? Again I am not talking anyone under 18...kids don't get to pick the restaurant their parents usually bring them into.
And let me add, I have been a waiter and believe me they aren't happy you're ordering off a kids menu.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm confused, so what is the reason an adult would order of a kids menu? Again I am not talking anyone under 18...kids don't get to pick the restaurant their parents usually bring them into.
And let me add, I have been a waiter and believe me they aren't happy you're ordering off a kids menu.
Generally speaking…I don’t really pay much mind to it.

but the simple answer is: to not eat that much. Do we have to shovel salt and sugar? Even at wdw?

my point is the standard “the restaurant business is tough” is blunted there more than really anywhere else on the planet. Not hard to see. So the restaurants aren’t struggling with this tactic.

the only concern would he diminished tips…they do the work and don’t set the prices.

Club Cooloholic

Generally speaking…I don’t really pay much mind to it.

but the simple answer is: to not eat that much. Do we have to shovel salt and sugar? Even at wdw?

my point is the standard “the restaurant business is tough” is blunted there more than really anywhere else on the planet. Not hard to see. So the restaurants aren’t struggling with this tactic.

the only concern would he diminished tips…they do the work and don’t set the prices.
Here is a question to ask....if everyone did it, would the restaurant be in business? No. It's called a kids menu because it is meant for kids and I will even expand that to kids of parents seating at the restaurant.
And if you don't like the adult menu, don't eat there.
Portion too big? Order one and split it then.

DisAl

Maybe because they want kid size portions. Why order an expensive meal if you know you are going to throw half of it away? Rarely but occasionally I just prefer an item on the kids meal. When I do though I tip as though it had been a "full price" meal.

Club Cooloholic

Maybe because they want kid size portions. Why order an expensive meal if you know you are going to throw half of it away? Rarely but occasionally I just prefer an item on the kids meal. When I do though I tip as though it had been a "full price" meal.
I'm going to guess that when you are on the Dining plan you have never ordered a kids meal for yourself. Wonder why that is?
Again split the meal or don't eat there, you can get hot dogs and burgers anywhere.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Here is a question to ask....if everyone did it, would the restaurant be in business? No. It's called a kids menu because it is meant for kids and I will even expand that to kids of parents seating at the restaurant.
And if you don't like the adult menu, don't eat there.
Portion too big? Order one and split it then.
why is a split “better” For the struggling restaurants than adults on kids meals? (Which I’d again like to point out I never do)

and for the billionth time…these restaurants aren’t struggling mom and pops…75% owned and operated as part of behemoth several billion dollar annual operation. And even the outsourced ones know they are getting at least 25% more in pricing because of the land they’re on (paid for) and that it goes away if they step across I-4

when’s the last time a restaurant went out of business as you seem to think is possible? Restaurants groups fold/disengage and sometimes Disney asked for too much in concessions for Re-upping contracts or renovations (which they Dictate and don’t pay for…by the way)…but it’s never because they don’t make payroll.

I'm going to guess that when you are on the Dining plan you have never ordered a kids meal for yourself. Wonder why that is?
Again split the meal or don't eat there, you can get hot dogs and burgers anywhere.
That plan is crap…so thanks for getting a shovel and digging it up.

its what they used to mask massive price escalation and Jack some menus in the 200-250% range in a decade.

or is that still a secret?

Club Cooloholic

why is a split “better” For the struggling restaurants than adults on kids meals? (Which I’d again like to point out I never do)

and for the billionth time…these restaurants aren’t struggling mom and pops…75% owned and operated as part of behemoth several billion dollar annual operation. And even the outsourced ones know they are getting at least 25% more in pricing because of the land they’re on (paid for) and that it goes away if they step across I-4

when’s the last time a restaurant went out of business as you seem to think is possible? Restaurants regroups fold/disengage and sometimes Disney asked for too much in concessions for Re-upping contracts or renovations (which they Dictate and don’t pay for…by the way)…but it’s never because they don’t make payroll.

That plan is crap…so thanks for getting a shovel and digging it up.

its what they used to mask massive price escalation and Jack some menus in the 200-250% range in a decade.

or is that still a secret?
Splitting a $60 steak is still better for the waiter and the restaurant, and it's manager and GM who have to show receipts for the night. Than 2 people ordering 15 dollar kids meals steaks. I got to ask when one does this, do they actually ever complain about the way it's cooked? "waiter my kids meal steak is over cooked, send it back!" Do you get the sippie cup style 6 oz soda or the milk?

I don't disagree that the DDP is a rip off, but I bet you tried it once or twice and I bet you never ordered off a kids menu.
And what you are saying is, it's ok to subvert the rule because the company can afford it? Why stop there can we try hopping the turnstyles at WDW because the company can afford it?
I know people will order off the kids menu

Restaurant managers people serving they are all expected

Anyway, I am sure there will be people that do this, and thats fine just don't get angry someone is pointing out its wrong. Now I am going to order a movie ticket for the kids price, because I might fall asleep and plan to skip the previews.

BTW I really like your commentary @Sirwalterraleigh usually, we just have a different viewpoint on this topic and thats ok.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Splitting a $60 steak is still better for the waiter and the restaurant, and it's manager and GM who have to show receipts for the night. Than 2 people ordering 15 dollar kids meals steaks. I got to ask when one does this, do they actually ever complain about the way it's cooked? "waiter my kids meal steak is over cooked, send it back!" Do you get the sippie cup style 6 oz soda or the milk?

I don't disagree that the DDP is a rip off, but I bet you tried it once or twice and I bet you never ordered off a kids menu.
And what you are saying is, it's ok to subvert the rule because the company can afford it? Why stop there can we try hopping the turnstyles at WDW because the company can afford it?
I know people will order off the kids menu

Restaurant managers people serving they are all expected

Anyway, I am sure there will be people that do this, and thats fine just don't get angry someone is pointing out its wrong. Now I am going to order a movie ticket for the kids price, because I might fall asleep and plan to skip the previews.

BTW I really like your commentary @Sirwalterraleigh usually, we just have a different viewpoint on this topic and thats ok.
I never order off a kids menu…and I don’t really see why I would?

but I can see why others aren’t interested in some of those exciting, dull menus

I just think it’s a weird hill for you to die on…try little round top next time 👍🏻

Club Cooloholic

I never order off a kids menu…and I don’t really see why I would?

but I can see why others aren’t interested in some of those exciting, dull menus

I just think it’s a weird hill for you to die on…try little round top next time 👍🏻
What's your opinion of Prix Fixe restaurants at WDW, because you can expect more of them.... probably because of folks that order kids meals

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What's your opinion of Prix Fixe restaurants at WDW, because you can expect more of them.... probably because of folks that order kids meals
I could see that being referred to as a reason…

but do i buy it? Not really

the prix fixe are egregious cashgrabs that also help move “expectations”…which are what the Bob’s Wharton lower class men have done for years…

but there is nothing stopping them from doing that if they want to. Certainly not the customers.

$200 lunches in Epcot…simply absurd.

Club Cooloholic

I could see that being referred to as a reason…

but do i buy it? Not really

the prix fixe are egregious cashgrabs that also help move “expectations”…which are what the Bob’s Wharton loser class men have done for years…

but there is nothing stopping them from doing that if they want to. Certainly not the customers.

$200 lunches in Epcot…simply absurd.
I hope now that more people are renting cars and taking ubers anyway do to the end of Magic Express, they realize there are great places to eat just beyond the Kingdom. My daughter actually requested we eat at Columbia in Celebration again after we had a great Thanksgiving Day meal there before.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I hope now that more people are renting cars and taking ubers anyway do to the end of Magic Express, they realize there are great places to eat just beyond the Kingdom. My daughter actually requested we eat at Columbia in Celebration again after we had a great Thanksgiving Day meal there before.
Speaking of…anyone heard of these “automatic” parking charges being applied to hotel folios if you don’t have “magical express” listed in your itinerary??

is that a real thing?

NelleBelle

I'll just add why my to teen boys tend to order off the kids' menu. We are vegetarian and having ONE menu choice that isn't a salad often really sucks. I myself often have to have the chef come out to discuss what can be done because more often than not there are mushrooms in that entree (have severe allergy to mushrooms). So if my kids want an adult portion of Mac n cheese, we will ask for an adult portion and expect to be charged an adult price. I don't see what the issue is if you're ordering something off another menu and being charged appropriately. I can see how trying to order off the kids menu in a table-service restaurant to get smaller portions at a kid's price should not be allowed. What really needs to be provided is a "senior" menu that provides smaller portions at adult-appropriate prices.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I hadn't heard of that from friends who always rent a car for the day... (grocery stop)
If I understand the complaint…it’s has happened to people who booked travel packages without airport transfers listed…ie assuming you drove.
It’s a rumor…I was curious if anyone had something more concrete?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom