10 days of Magic, Mickey, and Memories

Hi all!

And so it has come to an end. All the months of planning and preparing resulted in the best 10 days for my husband and I! Here are the basics:

Who: My DH and I
What: 10 days of Memories and Magic at Walt Disney World
Where: Port Orleans Riverside
When: September 13 to the 22
Why: A trip for resting and relaxing after a very long and hard year and in preparation of starting another personal journey.

Some background: My DH and I have traveled to Disney every year since we were married. So this marked our 8th trip in a row. Now the last two trips, I went solo. I went to Disneyland in 2010 and went for a girls getaway with my mom in May 2011. Since we started going to WDW together, a lot has happened. We moved twice, went through some very hard times, and have struggled with infertility. So this trip was focused on reconnecting and putting all of that "stuff" behind us. In the past, we have stayed either offsite (in 2005 and 2006) and then onsite at Deluxe Resorts. Since 2007, we have been able to drive to WDW since we lived only 4 1/2 hours away from the World. Okay, we are pretty much up to speed so now, on with the show! Or as Peter Pan would say...Here we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was the first time we stayed at POR as well as using DME. I will say to both, I would definitely recommend and stay/use again. We left very early on Thursday, September 13 and flew AirTran. It was a great flight and we got exceptional prices! We will definitely fly with AirTran again! The flight was smooth and on time so we arrived around 10 am at MCO and DME was ready and waiting for us! We did not have the fancy blue and cream DME bus which I was a tad disappointed about as I had never ridden on one! But we had a Mears bus and we were just ready to get to WDW!

IMAG0310.jpg

Excited to get to WDW!

IMAG0311.jpg

Super happy!

We arrived!
IMG_20120913_105550.jpg

Arriving at POR!
IMAG0315.jpg

We went ahead and did the online check in which didn't seem to make a difference. It was not busy, we still had questions, and we still talked to an agent. I will do it again, but didn't really notice that it made that much of a difference. We had called and requested a corner room on a higher floor and paid for garden view Royal Room. We got everything we asked for, except, our corner room faced a parking lot and was as far from everything as possible. So immediately called the front desk and I explained that I paid for garden view and would like garden view. We were moved to another room, that was near the pool, and a good location. It was not a corner room. The reason for the request for the corner is that I understand that the rooms can be quite dark so a corner room would let in more natural light. It would have been nice for that corner room but it didn't really bother us much at all.

IMG_20120913_120424.jpg

View from the room

IMG_20120913_120248.jpg

We first ate lunch since we were starved! We headed down to Riverside Mill. The DH tried to the pasta bar with cheese cake and I the burger and red velvet cake! All were delicious!!!!

IMAG0316.jpg

IMAG0317.jpg

IMAG0318.jpg

The Royal Rooms were so nice! We really liked them a lot! They were beautiful!!

IMG_3446.JPG

IMG_3449.JPG

IMG_3451.JPG

IMG_3452.JPG

IMG_3455.JPG

IMG_3458.JPG

Yep, that's Stacy! The Must-Do's! Unt Beer???

IMG_3460.JPG

IMG_3462.JPG

IMG_3464.JPG

IMG_3465.JPG

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Original Poster
Excellent photopass pics! I am on page 11, but the grandkids have noticed and all they want to do is have me talk to them now about our upcoming trip to the world so I will have to continue later. I am so glad I found your trip report! Love it!

Thank you!!!!! I love talking about WDW too! :)

disneygirl76

Original Poster
haha me too, if I am there that late, I care less about the crowds, but I CARE about Illuminations.. I think it is my favorite firework display

My DH and I prefer the older version of Illuminations. Its the pre-millenium version. I would sob it was so beautiful and amazing. This newer one - which really isn't newer anymore - we just don't have the same love for. :)

jlsHouston

Is it planters factitious? That is a common foot problem. I hear ya! Nothing will stop me at WDW!

yes that is the word for it! I had never heard of such a thing but when the pain wouldn't stop I googled pain in heel of foot and there it was..no cure. Wear shoes that cushion the heel..

disneygirl76

Original Poster
hmm.. I never knew that either, we parked at the POLY all the time over the 4th of July holiday on 2011 since we drove and were staying at POP and the only park we did was MK. I thought if you put your parking thing on the window they left you alone.. now I knew the GF was particular about cars from other resorts or outsiders using their parking lot for anything but dining but I had no idea the POLY was the same way..:(

They all are like that - Contemporary too. The parking lot is for dining guests and those at the resort. It isn't to be used as a parking lot for those who are staying on property at another resort instead of parking at the park you are attending. They "may" tow you. What that means is that they have the right to. Its just not a chance worth taking in my opinion. Nothing would be worse then having a great day at the parks and finding out your car has been towed.

disneygirl76

Original Poster
yes that is the word for it! I had never heard of such a thing but when the pain wouldn't stop I googled pain in heel of foot and there it was..no cure. Wear shoes that cushion the heel..

A tip (my mom has it) - get a cushioned pair of shoes that are only for wearing inside. Don't walk bare foot ever. Also, stand on a step and do an exercise where you stand on the edge of the step, and lower yourself down - so you are stretching your heel - and then raise yourself up onto your tip toes. Its a great stretch and will help relieve the pain.

jlsHouston

My DH and I prefer the older version of Illuminations. Its the pre-millenium version. I would sob it was so beautiful and amazing. This newer one - which really isn't newer anymore - we just don't have the same love for. :)

yah, I am a "late comer" to the magic of Disney.. and I am enthralled with illuminations. I have found there is alot I have missed out on since I arrived at this website and it's kind of sad...

Cassie S.

what an amazing journey you had, Carey!!! LOVED reading this. I had read through it earlier but missed a couple of spots. Now I can say I have read every single bit. :) Your enthusiasm for WDW is catching... I am even more excited for my trip in May! Oh, and that pp+ pic with the balloons chasing you... just classic ;)

disneygirl76

Original Poster
Thanks for an awesome trip report. I do have one question. When do you start the countdown to your next trip?:)

I don't know. :) We were planning on doing a trip in Feb/March for a room only. We still might. However, we have to replan due to the IVF situation. We have to take a very expensive step this next time around and I just don't know if we are going to be able to swing it. We were also planning on going to DL in the fall but I am not sure that is going to work either. I hope to get there - even to just the resort - for a night. :)

disneygirl76

Original Poster
what an amazing journey you had, Carey!!! LOVED reading this. I had read through it earlier but missed a couple of spots. Now I can say I have read every single bit. :) Your enthusiasm for WDW is catching... I am even more excited for my trip in May! Oh, and that pp+ pic with the balloons chasing you... just classic ;)

Pretty hilarious right! Did you see how it looks like the Castle has been bombed too??? Its the weirdest most hilarious picture. Thank you for reading! I loved sharing my story!!

jlsHouston

A tip (my mom has it) - get a cushioned pair of shoes that are only for wearing inside. Don't walk bare foot ever. Also, stand on a step and do an exercise where you stand on the edge of the step, and lower yourself down - so you are stretching your heel - and then raise yourself up onto your tip toes. Its a great stretch and will help relieve the pain.

Are you kidding, I cannot walk barefoot.. well I will in the sand and that is it. I always wear shoes in the house now, use to be flipflops or houseslippers, now I have a pair of inside crocs I wear... And girl I probably have 50 pairs of shoes and boots and sandals and its pretty much 3 pair I can wear to be on my feet for any length of time without agony... and here I am going on another vacation that requires major walking and standing.. I am going to try this exercise right now. Thanks for sharing and lovely trip report with fantastic pics!:)

disneygirl76

Original Poster
Are you kidding, I cannot walk barefoot.. well I will in the sand and that is it. I always wear shoes in the house now, use to be flipflops or houseslippers, now I have a pair of inside crocs I wear... And girl I probably have 50 pairs of shoes and boots and sandals and its pretty much 3 pair I can wear to be on my feet for any length of time without agony... and here I am going on another vacation that requires major walking and standing.. I am going to try this exercise right now. Thanks for sharing and lovely trip report with fantastic pics!:)

You are so welcome! Its so fun to go through it and relive our trip!!!

Minnie Sue

This was a fantastic TR! We have similar touring styles (although you have more Disney experience) and your pictures were amazing! As others said, the pic of Mary Poppins was artistic and everything Disney is about! Loved your dresses, too, especially the green stripe. I so enjoyed this report that I checked out your blog, and I hope you don't mind that I left a comment about my experiences with long term infertility. Thank you again for a fantastic read that has made me even more anxious for my 12/13 reservations!

ginadee

Hi all!

And so it has come to an end. All the months of planning and preparing resulted in the best 10 days for my husband and I! Here are the basics:

Who: My DH and I
What: 10 days of Memories and Magic at Walt Disney World
Where: Port Orleans Riverside
When: September 13 to the 22
Why: A trip for resting and relaxing after a very long and hard year and in preparation of starting another personal journey.

Some background: My DH and I have traveled to Disney every year since we were married. So this marked our 8th trip in a row. Now the last two trips, I went solo. I went to Disneyland in 2010 and went for a girls getaway with my mom in May 2011. Since we started going to WDW together, a lot has happened. We moved twice, went through some very hard times, and have struggled with infertility. So this trip was focused on reconnecting and putting all of that "stuff" behind us. In the past, we have stayed either offsite (in 2005 and 2006) and then onsite at Deluxe Resorts. Since 2007, we have been able to drive to WDW since we lived only 4 1/2 hours away from the World. Okay, we are pretty much up to speed so now, on with the show! Or as Peter Pan would say...Here we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was the first time we stayed at POR as well as using DME. I will say to both, I would definitely recommend and stay/use again. We left very early on Thursday, September 13 and flew AirTran. It was a great flight and we got exceptional prices! We will definitely fly with AirTran again! The flight was smooth and on time so we arrived around 10 am at MCO and DME was ready and waiting for us! We did not have the fancy blue and cream DME bus which I was a tad disappointed about as I had never ridden on one! But we had a Mears bus and we were just ready to get to WDW!

IMAG0310.jpg

Excited to get to WDW!

IMAG0311.jpg

Super happy!

We arrived!
IMG_20120913_105550.jpg

Arriving at POR!
IMAG0315.jpg

We went ahead and did the online check in which didn't seem to make a difference. It was not busy, we still had questions, and we still talked to an agent. I will do it again, but didn't really notice that it made that much of a difference. We had called and requested a corner room on a higher floor and paid for garden view Royal Room. We got everything we asked for, except, our corner room faced a parking lot and was as far from everything as possible. So immediately called the front desk and I explained that I paid for garden view and would like garden view. We were moved to another room, that was near the pool, and a good location. It was not a corner room. The reason for the request for the corner is that I understand that the rooms can be quite dark so a corner room would let in more natural light. It would have been nice for that corner room but it didn't really bother us much at all.

IMG_20120913_120424.jpg

View from the room

IMG_20120913_120248.jpg

We first ate lunch since we were starved! We headed down to Riverside Mill. The DH tried to the pasta bar with cheese cake and I the burger and red velvet cake! All were delicious!!!!

IMAG0316.jpg

IMAG0317.jpg

IMAG0318.jpg

The Royal Rooms were so nice! We really liked them a lot! They were beautiful!!

IMG_3446.JPG

IMG_3449.JPG

IMG_3451.JPG

IMG_3452.JPG

IMG_3455.JPG

IMG_3458.JPG

Yep, that's Stacy! The Must-Do's! Unt Beer???

IMG_3460.JPG

IMG_3462.JPG

IMG_3464.JPG

IMG_3465.JPG
This room looks fantastic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom