10 days of Magic, Mickey, and Memories

Hi all!

And so it has come to an end. All the months of planning and preparing resulted in the best 10 days for my husband and I! Here are the basics:

Who: My DH and I
What: 10 days of Memories and Magic at Walt Disney World
Where: Port Orleans Riverside
When: September 13 to the 22
Why: A trip for resting and relaxing after a very long and hard year and in preparation of starting another personal journey.

Some background: My DH and I have traveled to Disney every year since we were married. So this marked our 8th trip in a row. Now the last two trips, I went solo. I went to Disneyland in 2010 and went for a girls getaway with my mom in May 2011. Since we started going to WDW together, a lot has happened. We moved twice, went through some very hard times, and have struggled with infertility. So this trip was focused on reconnecting and putting all of that "stuff" behind us. In the past, we have stayed either offsite (in 2005 and 2006) and then onsite at Deluxe Resorts. Since 2007, we have been able to drive to WDW since we lived only 4 1/2 hours away from the World. Okay, we are pretty much up to speed so now, on with the show! Or as Peter Pan would say...Here we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was the first time we stayed at POR as well as using DME. I will say to both, I would definitely recommend and stay/use again. We left very early on Thursday, September 13 and flew AirTran. It was a great flight and we got exceptional prices! We will definitely fly with AirTran again! The flight was smooth and on time so we arrived around 10 am at MCO and DME was ready and waiting for us! We did not have the fancy blue and cream DME bus which I was a tad disappointed about as I had never ridden on one! But we had a Mears bus and we were just ready to get to WDW!

IMAG0310.jpg

Excited to get to WDW!

IMAG0311.jpg

Super happy!

We arrived!
IMG_20120913_105550.jpg

Arriving at POR!
IMAG0315.jpg

We went ahead and did the online check in which didn't seem to make a difference. It was not busy, we still had questions, and we still talked to an agent. I will do it again, but didn't really notice that it made that much of a difference. We had called and requested a corner room on a higher floor and paid for garden view Royal Room. We got everything we asked for, except, our corner room faced a parking lot and was as far from everything as possible. So immediately called the front desk and I explained that I paid for garden view and would like garden view. We were moved to another room, that was near the pool, and a good location. It was not a corner room. The reason for the request for the corner is that I understand that the rooms can be quite dark so a corner room would let in more natural light. It would have been nice for that corner room but it didn't really bother us much at all.

IMG_20120913_120424.jpg

View from the room

IMG_20120913_120248.jpg

We first ate lunch since we were starved! We headed down to Riverside Mill. The DH tried to the pasta bar with cheese cake and I the burger and red velvet cake! All were delicious!!!!

IMAG0316.jpg

IMAG0317.jpg

IMAG0318.jpg

The Royal Rooms were so nice! We really liked them a lot! They were beautiful!!

IMG_3446.JPG

IMG_3449.JPG

IMG_3451.JPG

IMG_3452.JPG

IMG_3455.JPG

IMG_3458.JPG

Yep, that's Stacy! The Must-Do's! Unt Beer???

IMG_3460.JPG

IMG_3462.JPG

IMG_3464.JPG

IMG_3465.JPG

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Original Poster
This was a fantastic TR! We have similar touring styles (although you have more Disney experience) and your pictures were amazing! As others said, the pic of Mary Poppins was artistic and everything Disney is about! Loved your dresses, too, especially the green stripe. I so enjoyed this report that I checked out your blog, and I hope you don't mind that I left a comment about my experiences with long term infertility. Thank you again for a fantastic read that has made me even more anxious for my 12/13 reservations!

Thank you so much! And yes, please leave comments. :) I hate two think that anyone is going through or has gone through infertility or any trouble starting their family. But at the same time, it means so much to know that we are not alone. Thank you so much!!! :)

ginadee

I have just learned recently about this trip report forum.Your trip was fantastic. Loved all you wrote and the fantastic pics. I learned some new things I will see and eat when I go in november. This was a very special report. Thanks for sharing.

disneygirl76

Original Poster
I have just learned recently about this trip report forum.Your trip was fantastic. Loved all you wrote and the fantastic pics. I learned some new things I will see and eat when I go in november. This was a very special report. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you so much! I hope you have an amazing trip!!!!

Bama14

On to Japan. Okay - this one was tough. I don't do sushi and i'm a pretty picky eater so we came up with a plan. Sake (shudder) and japanese candy. While at the Fancy Food Show, I had some Japanese candy so I all about that. It was pretty good. But the sake... (Shudder)

IMG_4622.JPG

IMG_4632.JPG

all i have done so far...is smell it...

IMG_4635.JPG

tasting it

IMG_4636.JPG

reaction one

IMG_4638.JPG

reaction 2

IMG_4640.JPG

reaction 3

IMG_4639.JPG

This goes without saying...I still don't like Sake.

IMG_4644.JPG

IMG_4646.JPG

It was getting later so many of the demonstartions and groups to see and listen to had stopped for the day. So we just walked around the shops and then headed to Morocco.

Morocco

IMG_4653.JPG

We went through the shops and I will be honest, the smell of incense was getting to me. I have gone through them before but this time, it seemed really strong.

IMG_4656.JPG

Short and sweet stop in Morocco for Sangria and Baklava. Now this was confusing...we though Baklava was Greek. So... not sure how authentic this was...but it counts!

IMG_4663.JPG

IMG_4662.JPG

We sat by the fountain that we never noticed before!

IMG_4668.JPG

We were disappointed that we missed Mo'Rockin. We have not ever seen them before!!
Haha! I love the sake reaction! I hate it too! I would rather drink the nasty green nyquil than try sake again, and I HATE the nasty green Nyquil. I'm clearly very late on this report, but love it! You guys look like you had a wonderful time. That drink, or was it a dessert, from Italy looked amazing!

disneygirl76

Original Poster
Haha! I love the sake reaction! I hate it too! I would rather drink the nasty green nyquil than try sake again, and I HATE the nasty green Nyquil. I'm clearly very late on this report, but love it! You guys look like you had a wonderful time. That drink, or was it a dessert, from Italy looked amazing!

It was a dessert! It was a strawberry ice cream thingy! A- MAZING! I just started our new trip report from last week! :) Thank you!! Oh yes - don't like green nyquil either! BLAH!

disneygirl76

Original Poster
I loved this trip report, thanks so much for sharing. Going in July and your report and photos nearly tripled my excitement! Sending pixie dust your way :)

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the pixie dust!! We completed that cycle in October and it was unsuccessful. We have started again with some great results thus far and it will continue on April 15. We are hoping this is it!!!! We so badly want our little prince or princess...or both! :) Have a wonderful trip in July!!!!! Can't wait to ready your trip report!!!!

heatherkatheleen

Hee hee I can imagine! My DH just laughs and laughs at me when I get all teary watching Disney videos! :) I just can't help it! Its Disney!! :)
Neither can I! I used to laugh at my mom--she'd cry during fireworks, and sometimes even during Disney commercials and I just never got it. Fast forward a few years and now I'm the one getting emotional over literally everything Disney!

disneygirl76

Original Poster
Neither can I! I used to laugh at my mom--she'd cry during fireworks, and sometimes even during Disney commercials and I just never got it. Fast forward a few years and now I'm the one getting emotional over literally everything Disney!

I love that! Do you remember the commercial with the little boy who kicked his legs up in the air while sitting on his sisters bed and said "i'm too tired to sleep?" Oh, my favorite! And I cant watch the current one that they are showing about the teenage girl with her dad. I lose it! LOSE IT! :)

heatherkatheleen

I love that! Do you remember the commercial with the little boy who kicked his legs up in the air while sitting on his sisters bed and said "i'm too tired to sleep?" Oh, my favorite! And I cant watch the current one that they are showing about the teenage girl with her dad. I lose it! LOSE IT! :)
I do remember that commercial! Too stinkin' cute.
My boyfriend and I are going to the parks for two days from May 23-25, and then on the morning of the 25th we cruise for a week on the Fantasy... I've been talking about it since we booked it last year but the past few weeks, every single time I bring it up I get emotional... He laughs because he never went to Disney as a kid so get doesn't quite 'get' it (yet... in 8 or 9 years when we have kids to bring along I'm sure he'll grasp it). My family are DVC members so literally the only family vacations we've ever known are those to WDW. My mom passed away a year and a half ago and ever since then I've been extra emotional about it, I get thinking about all the time I spent with her in the parks and on certain rides.... Certain places really jog my memory and THAT'S when I lose it. Its such a special place and will always have a huge place in my heart, especially for all the incredible memories with my mom.
Ps- speaking of kiddos, I wish you and your partner the best! My parents struggled with what you are going through now, and eventually adopted my brother in '88 and myself in '93. It was such a blessing for them and for my brother and I as well! I have every faith that everything will work out for the two of you exactly how its meant to be and I'm sure your family will create equally as awesome memories with your kids just as my parents did with my brother and I! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom