1 - One Sentence Competition, Season Five Episode 3

DisneyManOne

Thanks!

I actually originally had this idea ages ago and never used for a dream park where the castle had a vague mickey shape (cheesy, I know. But I was still new at this haha). One ear would be BBBoutique, one ear would be the ballroom, and the "head" would be a walkthrough and a restaurant. And there could be a premium most of the day experience involving all three. So, tying it vaguely to a move/refresh of BBBoutique at WDW would be a perfect fit! And that Starlit Waltz show looks really neat!
You know, I was just looking at what the Magic Kingdom's Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique looked like, and the lobby even has a proclamation from the Grand Duke inviting all guests to a ball. They could easily keep that proclamation in there to fit with the new experience!

Also, I was just reminded of a one-time only special ticket Valentine's Day event that the Magic Kingdom held at 2004 called "This is Love". As part of the experience, one could meet the royal court dancers and their instructor, Darci. Maybe those characters could be worked in, as well.

D Hulk

gop-clock_1525095494.gif

D Hulk

200_d.gif

REVIEWS

Wow, this One Sentence Competition has gotten gonzo lately! So much controversy surrounding what constitutes a good sentence. As long as your idea is clearly communicated, I personally welcome any approach, from terse minimalism to epic run-on extravaganzas.

To keep this round all topsy-turvy, I’ll be reviewing in reverse chronological order.

Except the review for @gam3rprincess will be at the end. Perks of coming in customarily late. ;)

View attachment 490995Using the abandoned area left by Anaheim’s Peoplemover, the starlight diner combines the 1950s retro futurism aesthetic with American diners of that same time period, with a little bit of Tomorrowland's astronomical style thrown in, with traditional but quality diner food being served.
Starlight Diner
@Pufflefan

Tomorrowland already features American food like burgers, simply not as good as you can find beyond the parks. You’re simply improving (immensely) on what’s there. Because who doesn’t love a genuinely good hamburger? Mmm!

The ‘50s retro-futurist style works well, really well, for a Tomorrowland which began in 1955. This is a brilliant use of the abandoned Peoplemover platform, and a welcome compromise if we’re never seeing a ride up there ever again. With 360-degree views, great food, and a cool style, Tomorrowland’s bottlenecks are about to get a lot worse!

5180546cf1e6f90714f4730ad1ede605.jpg

Starlight Diner reminds me a whole lot of the defunct Encounter Restaurant which used to occupy the Theme Building at LAX. I bring this up because this was actually an Imagineering project (a rare case where they contracted outside of Disney). It had a mid-century Googie vibe much like yours in a similar elevated setting.​

-Orion ‘s Base-
Loosely named after the constellation; and coming to a Tomorrowland far from you, Orion’s Base is set in a former smuggler’s warehouse; once used to harbor exotic beasts, invaluable ores, and lucrative oils and operated by hunters seeking the most dangerous game and barons seeking the richest deposits; now in its hold are juicy barbecue meat (with a vegetarian’s alternative), aromatic spices and sweet beverages, where once darkness and decryption were a norm, bright color and patterns of beasts and worlds now line the walls and floors, and its operators are now culinarians crafting the best barbecue, waiters serving hungry patrons and storytellers spinning yarns about the other worldly planets in galaxies far far away.​
Orion’s Base
@Suchomimus

Here we see the elusive Suchomimus making an unexpected foray into competition. Rarely seen in the wild, this graceful Imagineer proves to be a formidable predator.

The proposal is extremely evocative. The adjectives & descriptions decisively satisfy the prompt’s two big criteria: theming & food. Even without an image, I have a visual image of this restaurant. You use a depth of world-building on par with Galaxy’s Edge to create a non-IP concept (YAY!) with a conceptual simplicity plus real depth. There seems to be a slight Satuli Canteen vibe here too, or Adventurer’s Club, though granted I haven’t visited those in person.

The food sounds like reason enough to visit Orion’s Base even if the setting didn’t interest me. That’s really what I wanted to see in this challenge! Exotic spiced barbecue, sweet drinks, this menu is unique & exciting without off-putting for being pickier guests. I love this proposal!​

D Hulk

Four Eye Corp. Con Cafe (Incredible Insurgent Instrument Industries Corporation)
View attachment 490666
Replacing the rather lackluster Star Wars Launch Bay in Anaheim, Tomorrowland in Disneyland Anaheim now sees a unique equivalent to the AA based table service restaurants in Tokyo Disneyland and Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom, which takes place in the cafeteria of the 'Four Eye Corp.' (Incredible Insurgent Instrument Industries Corporation), a wacky Aperture Science esque tech company that has created comedically dysfunctional products and almost failed that has finally figured out the one thing it's actually good at -- food products and has not since changed it's name, hosting a food based convention in it's cafeteria, which primarily relies on experiment themed specials with Adventurer's Club type shows and characters.
Four Eye Corp. Con Café (Incredible Insurgent Instrument Industries Corporation)
HONESTLY, WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THAT NAME?!
@Tux

First things first…that image! :hilarious:

This will go down as a classic moment in One Sentence Competition history. There are, like, eighteen additional sentences here!!! This competition format is very limiting, and it just cannot handle such out-sized passion. Of course as judge I have to completely disregard all of your handwritten passion…

Based on the write-up alone…you’re pulling in inspiration from a great many successful Disney eateries. At a glance, there’s Sonny Eclipse, Tony Solaroni, and Adventurer’s Club (could be a common thing in this round). There’re hints of a backstory involving a wild sci-fi corporation. The “fantastic theming” side of this challenge has absolutely been satisfied. The food is an afterthought (note I’m ignoring anything listed in your image), and that hurts. “Good food” was a big, big part this prompt.​

*********************OFFICIAL ENTRY**********************************************************************

THE SHIP YARD

Nestled in the back of Disneyland's Tomorrowland you can take a step back in time while visiting the vast world of tomorrow by grabbing a bite to eat at the THE SHIP YARD, a restaurant themed to a space junkyard for retired space ships where the tables are literrally the ride vehicles of past Tomorrowland attractions that no longer exist: peoplemover, rocket rods, bumper boats, etc where you can eat any past meal option no longer served at Disneyland propper, step back in time for a bite before heading back out to the future!
The Ship Yard
@1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

This is really quite good. You’ve covered both sides of the challenge. Theming: space junkyard. Food: discontinued Disney dishes. I really like how these sides complement each other. You’ve truly embraced nostalgia – a common Disney topic – and made it work for forward-facing Tomorrowland. The original Disneyland is the best park for The Ship Yard; all the recycled vehicles & meals would be embraced by locals. There’s not much more to say about this. You’ve succinctly answered the challenge in an imaginative, thoughtful way.​

D Hulk

End of Line Club coming to WDW's Magic Kingdom

View attachment 490618

Using the same "It's on the other side of the railroad" excuse Galaxy's Edge used to justify adding
a
bar to a castle park, The End of Line Club will be built connected to the new Tron Coaster with a focus on
incredible Bar Food (with creative twists to fit the sci-fi theme), unique and colorful mixed drinks, and a great
d
ance floor which only becomes more of party after night falls.
End of Line Club
@Pi on my Cake

A dance floor?! This is totally unexpected coming from you, Pi!

Looking over the best-themed restaurants in Castle Parks, from Blue Bayou to Be Our Guest, there’s always a strong specificity of place. That’s harder to do with Tomorrowland’s futuristic style. TRON has exactly that specificity, and not many of Disney’s sci-fi IPs do. Good choice. While the food/drink descriptions are no more elaborate than “Bar Food,” with this setting I can easily imagine a neon-lit hybrid between familiar fare and out-there molecular gastronomy. Let’s just hope the drinks are better (and cheaper) than in the Galaxy’s Edge Cantina.

61afe2f39981ce2a6eabf37d5c304d5b.jpg

Lastly, what the o_O:p:eek: is EMUGANITDS?!?!​

Perfect Park Acres
original.jpg

Replacing the Tomorrowland Terrace, Perfect Park Acres uses nostalgia history from the TTA, along with a combination of health-focused menu items and green futurism to set the stage for WDW's Tomorrowland transformation.
Perfect Park Acres
@spacemt354

In a sea of Used Future sci-fi proposals, you harken back to Tomorrowland’s Utopian futurist origins. This style, which even Disney has largely abandoned, is far trickier to do well. Walt’s futurism envisioned a tech-driven post-cultural world…so what food could go there? Your answer – “health-focused menu items” – recalls the “agrifuture” concept occasionally seen in Tomorrowland. It’s a good answer, it’s thematically fitting, even while I find other culinary concepts more appetizing. Getting some Land Pavilion vibes here too.

If I focus just on the write-up, your restaurant’s description goes no deeper than a reference to futurism and the TTA. If we’re to be eating in that curving space station, a little mention of it in the text is needed.​

D Hulk

a sleek space age inspired restaurant at the top of tomorrowland featuring a rotating menu that serves the newest dishes and drinks, inspired by cutting edge independent eateries.
Nameless Restaurant
@Imagineer Sroo

Don’t worry about accidentally duplicating another proposal. These things happen. Of course, outright plagiarism is punishable by catapult!

This is a rather vague proposal. It needs a name. It needs more physical description than “sleek.” It needs a type of food. Tomorrowland is vague like this sometimes. This challenge was about moving past that.​

The Visionarium
Taking up the former Innoventions building at Disneyland, this rotating steakhouse allows guests to take in the sights and sounds of our expanding universe.

------------------------

No picture. I just wanted to try to keep consistently submitting (though I missed last project.) And I'm still trying to figure out how much detail I can feasibly squeeze in without it being a paragraph of a sentence.
The Visionarium
@JokersWild

Here is another short, minimalist, image-free proposal. It’s nearing the level of a haiku, practically, which is a bold route to go, and I respect that.

Crucially, you’ve kept juuuuust enough content that there’s something there. Rotating steakhouse. Expanding universe. These quick drive-by ideas do paint a picture, suggesting something rather upscale for Disney a-la Milliways from Douglas Adams’ Restaurant at the End of the Universe. The note about replacing Disneyland’s Innoventions also adds some much-welcome specificity. Being this terse with your sentence is dangerous; in this case; it worked.​

D Hulk

Lunar Eats

View attachment 490574

Coming to Disneyland is Lunar Eats where you eat inside a lunar habitat with only healthy food options that promote healthy eating and show how astronauts have very limited eating options when going to space.
Lunar Eats
@NateD1226

Confronted with the gritty realism of space travel, eating becomes a completely utilitarian act. Freeze-dried astronaut food in a scientific outpost, this is the furthest possible cry from a romantic French bistro brimming with warmth. However, you have embraced and heightened these realities. Done right, eating in a lunar hab becomes an adventure! The focus is on the overall guest experience. The healthy food options being a good compromise to make Lunar Eats appetizing to day-tripping guests.

As long as Astronaut Mark Watney isn’t serving any organic potatoes, that is… :hungover:

You've stumbled upon a rouge S.E.A.S member's bustling headquarters- the jumping off point for the future explorers. You are taken to your seat and treated to a feast of food and drink presented in wacky ways , it's an ever changing menu- inspired by the explorers travels
S.E.A./S.K.Y. HQ
@Shannoninthemagic

S.E.A. is a beloved go-to option in Armchair Imagineering. It gets overplayed sometimes, but done right there is a wealth of lore to build from. (S.K.Y., as suggested by @Suchomimus, references a DisneySky project I’ve been procrastinating over.) In a Tomorrowland setting, S.E.A. conjures up Jules Verne and turn-of-the-century adventurers…this idea would particularly fit Paris’ Discoveryland. What exactly does their headquarters look like? A space station? An old fortress like in DisneySea? Salon dining aboard a submarine a-la Captain Nemo?

Technically, you used two sentences. I’ll forgive it…but be more careful. This proposal is simple enough that it could be condensed into a single sentence without difficulty.​

D Hulk

Astronomer's Club
45fad3933747c274d00dc4483c052319.jpg

Inspired by the Disneyland Paris concept, the Astronomer's Club is a grand hall of science, exploration, and good food, where the finest astronomers (i.e. the guests) can gaze upon the cosmos and constellations in a place of entertainment, education, and exploration, whilst being served delicious cuisine of French, Italian, and Mediterrenean origin.
The AstronomiClub
View attachment 490571

The numerous scientists and artists that call Tomorrowland their home meet in this upscale dining hall filled with lab equipment and numerous artistic models of the universe while stars twinkle and move above guests.
Astronomer’s Club
@Evilgidgit
AND
The AstroniClub
@mickeyfan5534

tenor.gif

Only six minutes separate these practically identical proposals, which share a concept, similar names, even the same image. (TinEye was no help. Guys, what’s the source of this image?!) This similarity highlights the difference that writing makes. Evilgidgit happens to paint a clearer picture with words, from the careful specificity of choosing Disneyland Paris on down. The starkest difference is food: Evilgidgit lists several European cuisines, making my mouth water, while mickeyfan merely says that the food is upscale.

The shared overall idea (of an observatory grand dining hall) is very appealing. This concept suggests images like steampunk brass rivets and surreal, Melies-style star views. As far as theming goes, few proposals have strengthened Tomorrowland as well as you two.
Tomorrowland Diner

The Tomorrowland Diner sits in what the 1970s thought a home of the future would be like, brimming with small, wacky animatronic set pieces that connect it to Carousel of Progress and Horizons, and serving up futuristic takes on American comfort foods that I imagine are what the Jetsons’ make for Sunday dinners.

View attachment 490552
Tomorrowland Diner
@InspectorSpacetime

Looking to the vintage Tomorrowland of 1970s Magic Kingdom, this retro-chic diner sounds both playful and welcoming. You have stuck with the American comfort food niche which Tomorrowland already features, but your descriptions subtly suggest higher quality dishes. This is one of the more family-friendly proposals, contrasted against some upscale bistros. With the Jetsons aesthetic, the menu, and even the animatronics, you’re sticking fairly close to what Tomorrowland already offers. It is an incremental improvement rather than a bold reinvention.​

D Hulk

Indeed, I legitimately had no idea that my idea was already done. Anyway, here's my submission for this week...

The Nuts and Bolts Cafe
View attachment 490520

The first restaurant for humans staffed entirely by robots, this quirky little eatery features a delightful cast of Audio-Animatronic characters that "make" fizzy drinks and scrumptious food before your very eyes, all while wisecracking droid C.O. Median entertains diners with stand-up comedy.
The Nuts and Bolts Café
@Brer Panther

Already tonight I’ve mentioned Tony Solaroni and Sonny Eclipse – audio-animatronic shows which elevate otherwise-bland Tomorrowland restaurants. This is proving a very popular approach to theming an eatery. There’s just enough unique personality in your robot-staffed spot to stand out. For some reason it reminds me of Japanese automated restaurants, the sorts of places with touchscreen menus, conveyor belts and pneumatic tubes. They’re totally memorable and 100% realistic!

With all this personality, the menu options get a little lost. The fizzy drinks are memorable; beyond that, I don’t know what sort of food gets served here.​

Space 220

Reutilizing Disneyland’s Carousel Theater (currently home to Launch Bay) Space 220 comes to Disneyland offering out of this world fusion cuisines and intergalactic gulps, make table service is sure to blast off with guest satisfaction; now do note the second floor will be the kitchen while the ground floor slowly spins (ala Garden Grill) around the Earth in this amazingly themed and realistically planned restaurant!

View attachment 490504
Space 220
@tcool123

I recognize that image as the proposed Epcot space restaurant. Let’s be careful when using Disney concept art! It’s very hard now to read your description and picture something that isn’t a mere clone (of an admittedly cool concept). *Ducks out briefly* Oh, and now that I’ve done my research…yeah, Space 220, that’s what they’re calling the Epcot restaurant! The One Sentence Competition demands originality.

With that out of the way, your write-up is carefully written with several memorable moments. The fusion cuisine menu sounds tasty. Recycling Disneyland’s Innoventions building (a popular choice) is a good call.​

D Hulk

The Milkyway Milkshake Stop

View attachment 490501

Mason Jar Milkshakes are all the buzz nowadays and Disney cashes in on that with bringing the galaxy's best milkshakes to their very own Tomorrowland; Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry, Oreo, and more milkshake flavours can be found at the quick service designed to be an astronaut pit stop on their never-ending quest through the universe!!
The Milkyway Milkshake Stop
@AceAstro

Milkshakes immediately have a retro ‘50s charm to them. Also, they’re delicious. This is the only quick service entry, which means it isn’t quite a restaurant…Not really a problem, since the allure of a frosty cold sweet is perfect for this type of spot.

Uniquely, I think you’re the only player who got the food element spot-on while somewhat whiffing on the theme. The astronaut pit stop setting is somewhat hard to picture – it’s not the mid-century setting I would imagine for a shake shack, nor is it especially spectacular or immersive. Theming options are more limited with quick service, lamentably.
The Edna Mode Experience
View attachment 490497
Enter the futuristic residence of eccentric fashion designer, Edna Mode, and keep an eye out for Jack Jack Parr, the infant child of Bob and Hellen Parr, as he unleashes his vast variety of superpowers (electricity, teleportation, etc.) in a collection of immersive dining rooms like Edna’s design studio, display room, main living room, and testing quarters as well as enjoy unique meals themed to different heroes like a Frozone themed ice cream that Edna herself would describe as “super”!
The Edna Mode Experience
@NigelChanning09

Please tell me they serve Pie a-la Edna Mode here! :hilarious:

For an Incredibles restaurant this elaborate, there really ought to be a whole E-ticket (even a miniland) to support it. But we’re just here for the restaurant today. This is definitely on the fancier end, what with the various themed dining rooms and in-depth theming & effects on par (Parr?! :hilarious: ) with Be Our Guest.

The Incredibles, and Edna Mode specifically, is a slightly awkward choice for a themed restaurant since eating doesn’t really go hand-in-hand with superheroism and fashion design. That might be the reason the food is under-described, aside from Frozone ice cream. I mean, which kind of restaurant is this?​

View attachment 491031

Cafe Caffeine, themed to wacky scientists and S.E.A. members Haley and Olivia and their crazy chemistry shenanigans making a variety of coffee drinks, pastries, and snacks such as fries and pretzels, as well as being a bar after dark.
Cafe Caffeine
@gam3rprincess

Something smaller scale than most, more of a coffee shot than a proper restaurant. These are common on Main Street, and I'm not sure how it would play in Tomorrowland.

The S.E.A. characters are the best element. That's the sort of potentially wild idea which the One Sentence Competition really isn't designed to handle. The food list adequately explains what goes on here. Overall it's a little underwhelming, maybe because the scale just isn't the same and because (S.E.A. tie-in aside) the cafe's physical appearance & ambiance aren't described.​

D Hulk

Challenge Four Results

It all came down to food. Pretty much everyone nailed the theming; the winners created a rumbly in my tumbly too.

Honorable Mention (0.5 points)

rosette-award-ribbons-2h3vyq.jpg

@JokersWild – The Visionarium
A haiku of a proposal which contains the essence of a good idea.

Bronze Medal (1 point)
25378926288_0282b49fa8_o_d.png

TIE!
@Pufflefan – Starlight Diner
&
@Evilgidgit – Astronomer’s Club
Sensuous descriptions paint a crystal clear picture of a fun underlying concept.

Silver Medal (2 points)
25378923678_32843d468b_o_d.png

@1HAPYGHOSTHOST – The Ship Yard
This restaurant’s nostalgic conceit informs both the menu and the atmosphere very nicely.

Gold Medal (3 points)
25378924938_877ca558df_o_d.png

@Suchomimus – Orion’s Base
Nails both theming and food in a very tactile way. Welcome to the game!

With dinner over, it’s time for a show…and Challenge Five.

D Hulk

CHALLENGE FIVE
FANTASYLAND

enhance

Fantasyland is the heart and soul of any Castle Park. This is where guests will find all their favorite beloved Disney characters! The only problem is there’s not enough room to do every character justice. Live shows can be a good way to spread the love around. Shows can range from extravaganzas like Mickey and the Magical Map, to the playful skits of Fantasy Faire. With so much variety, the options are endless!

Your task is to propose a new character-centric live show for Fantasyland.

-Rules-
Use only a single sentence to describe your idea. You may also use one image if you wish. The deadline is Sunday, August 16th, at midnight EST.

-Tips-

KISS – Keep is simple, silly! With only one sentence, you can’t get too detailed. Think of this as an elevator pitch.

-Judging Criteria-
Is it creative?
Is it realistic?
Does it fit visually/thematically?

Any questions, please ask! Now good luck everyone! Create!

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

The Ship Yard
@1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

This is really quite good. You’ve covered both sides of the challenge. Theming: space junkyard. Food: discontinued Disney dishes. I really like how these sides complement each other. You’ve truly embraced nostalgia – a common Disney topic – and made it work for forward-facing Tomorrowland. The original Disneyland is the best park for The Ship Yard; all the recycled vehicles & meals would be embraced by locals. There’s not much more to say about this. You’ve succinctly answered the challenge in an imaginative, thoughtful way.​
Aww thanks. Thay maybe the nicest compliment I have ever recieved on this site, so thank you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom