Trip Report 🎶 Everything is 'going to Disney to get a passholder magnet' Awesome! 🎶

tenor.gif

How this all came about:

And Disney said, “let there be annual passholder magnets, and there were magnets, and it was good.”

Laura said, “I need to get that Donald passholder magnet before June 29, and Sean booked Old Key West, and it was good.”

What does this all mean, you ask? Are @imahistorygeek and @lostpro9het really going to Disney for a magnet?? Why, yes, that’s exactly what we are going to do! Why??

🎶Because Everything* Is Awesome! 🎶

*By awesome, I mean visiting Disney again, getting a magnet, escaping work, eating at new restaurants, and staying at Old Key West!

Here’s our plan:

June 22 – Leave the kid in charge of the cats. Drive to Disney. Check in at OKW. I’ve requested a refurbed area. Eat at Homecomin.
June 23 – Park stuff and eating. I believe tonight’s dinner is Brown Derby. Catch some fireworks.
June 24 – More park stuff and more eating. I think we may have lunch at MK at The Diamond Horseshoe. Dinner is Ale and Compass.
June 25 – Tiny bit park stuff and then going back home.

I was able to do alright on fastpass selections. The only things that I can remember not being available were 7 dwarves and FoP. The other Pandora ride had plenty of FPs available, but I said nah.

It’s a super-short trip. Disney knows how to get us to come back. Offer up some flimsy thing to stick to the fridge.

I’m posting this as a pre-trip report if you want to follow along on IG. This will not be a full-fledged trip report, but just a following along of what we are going to do on a particular day. If you’d like to follow along, my IG username is the same as here. I’ll post pictures of the park, food, drinks, and other stuff, especially the magnet!

If you have any favs at the places I mentioned above for food and drink, please share.

Last edited:

lostpro9het

Finished up at A&C. The food was ok, the service was so-so and, again, for a place with “ale” in its title the beer selection was poor. If we come back it would need to be at lunch as the dinner menu is weak for those that dont fancy seafood. I went with a maple old fashion and the veggie ravioli. DW had a glass of red, the chorizo/leek flatbread, and the baked goat cheese. Ill let her share the nemo tissue story. We’re in the Soarin’ staging area now, center carriage top row!
ECFB0B9E-A589-4B4F-A0EB-5CE334A8E4B6.jpeg
C171F476-AA3C-407E-80D5-7F9188398341.jpeg
CFEB838E-CB73-4D58-A09D-C76FAE8443E2.jpeg
60EF8358-4C7F-42C3-AA01-679BEA6188BF.jpeg
73BAC528-7ED3-4654-A2CA-CE623C2DE5C3.jpeg
0568D987-4B7D-416E-A7AD-2EE3C1DBFF40.jpeg
E1FB67F6-EAAD-4A69-9691-8816C74686B6.jpeg
6BB877A3-52F5-4185-B21E-0F7DC56D4D3D.jpeg
D95D9BFA-1E55-4171-8C27-EB7F4D228B25.jpeg
31B2CDCE-27D7-49CF-99C8-CF653AF06CB1.jpeg

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
And this is why they continuously have to tell folks to keep their shoes on...Morons. What the hell is wrong with people, this aint your house.
Do these people buy shoes that are so uncomfortable that taking them off feels good? And while Disney does a decent job of keeping things clean, I would not walk around barefoot in a carpeted lounge which the bottoms of peoples shoes (shoes that have no doubt touched public bathroom floors) have been leaving germs and fecal matter all over it.

Tony the Tigger

Do these people buy shoes that are so uncomfortable that taking them off feels good? And while Disney does a decent job of keeping things clean, I would not walk around barefoot in a carpeted lounge which the bottoms of peoples shoes (shoes that have no doubt touched public bathroom floors) have been leaving germs and fecal matter all over it.

I don’t even like wearing just socks in a carpeted hotel room for that reason. Sometimes I throw them out rather than bring them home.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I don’t even like wearing just socks in a carpeted hotel room for that reason. Sometimes I throw them out rather than bring them home.
Wife makes me wear flip flops in hotel rooms. Heaven forbid if I step out of the shower and don't put the flip flops on. She is serious about contamination prevention. I could seriously wear a haz mat suit and she would probly be turned on.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Wife makes me wear flip flops in hotel rooms. Heaven forbid if I step out of the shower and don't put the flip flops on. She is serious about contamination prevention. I could seriously wear a haz mat suit and she would probly be turned on.

I bring slippers with me when I travel, and I use them. In the hotel room, and sometimes on airplanes. 😬

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
Following up with Ale and Compass - I liked it. The menu is limited and it's a lot of seafood.

The goat cheese was excellent as was the flatbread. The leeks were supposed to be charred, but they were just cut up on thrown on there. The chorizo was a tiny bit spicy. I would eat here again, but I'm in no rush to do so. Homecomin' I could eat just about every week. It definitely lived up to its hype.

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
Just got caught up with this report. I am curious to hear your final thoughts on Old Key West as I will be staying 8 nights there in August.

Well, it was good and bad.

Good
parking right at room
refurbed room
building 42 - right next to turtle pond pool
larger rooms
easy drive to all parks
two queen beds in the studio
good food at turtle pond pool quick service
beautiful landscaping and buildings

Bad
more magic bands not working issue
no pot for the coffee pot
the shades for the patio door do not block out light
AC is on a sensor and if you don't move for a while, it doesn't run
did not replace the TV with the larger TV now found in refurbed studios
the angle of the TV - one queen bed is not going to have a good view
AC was very loud when it turned on - this could be just this room issue
no separate lane for returning guests when entering the resort
leaf blowers or some type of lawn care at 6 am right outside the room
one sink in the bathroom - again, this may be a HA room feature to accommodate a wheelchair in the bathroom

We were assigned an accessible room, but didn't request one. Maybe this is why the room was just ok for us. On the plus side, this meant there were a lot of bars for draping clothes and towels.

Will we stay here again? We will not choose to stay here again unless nothing else is available.

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
I forgot I had some stuff to say.

Brown Derby - I had the infamous cobb salad. It was good, but not outstanding. I'd only order it again at the lounge.

Photopass pictures - what the heck is going on with all these borders?

Star Wars show (I can't remember the name) - I remember these really awesome fireworks from a few trips ago. What happened? The new show...
tenor.gif

lostpro9het

Ok, some closing thoughts on this short, but very fun, trip since I need to get back to #tonyfromspain

Homecomin' is another jewel in the DTD showcase. Cant wait to go back.

Ale & Compass probably wont see me again. There are far to many other choices with better menus, and beer offerings.

Hollywood Brown Derby is very repeatable but might be a sig as much as LeCel is or BOG will be a sig.

Despite the hobbit feet, the DVC lounge is still a wonderful member benefit that I wish they would expand to other parks.

That avatarland water ride was about as imaginative as the land itself. I would love to have a time machine so I could go back and see how much blacklight and glow paint stock Iger purchased before building this area.

For as much as I dont care for this new "expansion" Satu'li Canteen was a huge surprise. While, again, the beer failed the food more than made up for it. SC is now in direct competition with FTB for our go-to lunch at AK.

FotLK...so much is good about this experience and even if you don't care for the movie you can enjoy this show..a lot.

Nomad Lounge, still an excellent place to relax mid day or evening and enjoy some people watching and drinks. I only wish they would rotate their taps, same beer offering as day one.

Speaking of rotating taps, that's another great thing about Baseline Tap House. They've changed their offerings a few times and its nice going in knowing you can try something new. PLUS, their food there is excellent.

The new churro sandwich...soooo.....gooood! If you're a churro fan this is a must. I can take or leave a churro but this is something I'd go back for over and over.

Tangierine Cafe is still the best

@DisneyJeff my take on OKW is...my own:
For a recently refurbished room it was an overall let down. The bathroom was very nice and I did enjoy the walk in shower. The tv in room was a joke, the back patio had a nice view right into our neighbor's living room area. The two beds will be great for families with 4-5 folks. We half lucked out with our room and its proximity to the pool we could have easily been five times the distance away and still be in the same pool area. Food offering is difficult at OKW because of the layout. If you wanted an early morning or evening snack you would have to drive or take a bus to the main area if you are not housed in the hospitality area. Parking in front of your room is VERY nice and obviously convenient. The themeing at OKW is very sterile, IMO, I just cant look around and not think retirement community. BUT at the end of the day the beds were comfortable and the AC worked, a little loud at time but worked. The location of OKW made drives to every park and DTD very easy. We had zero issues driving anywhere this trip, mostly because we avoided Victory Way/Osceola. I would build in some additional time in the morning for buses. Depending on what area of the resort you are in you might get on the bus and then have to drive around and pick up at four other stops before actually heading to the park. Would I stay there again, probably not. We really only booked OKW this time because of the last minute planning and it being the only place with DVD availability.

115 days til we return!

Last edited:

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
Homecomin' is another jewel in the DTD showcase. Cant wait to go back.

Hollywood Brown Derby is very repeatable but might be a sig as much as LeCel is or BOG will be a sig.

That avatarland water ride was about as imaginative as the land itself. I would love to have a time machine so I could go back and see how much blacklight and glow paint stock Iger purchased before building this area.

For as much as I dont care for this new "expansion" Satu'li Canteen was a huge surprise. While, again, the beer failed the food more than made up for it. SC is now in direct competition with FTB for our go-to lunch at AK.

FotLK...so much is good about this experience and even if you don't care for the movie you can enjoy this show..a lot.

Speaking of rotating taps, that's another great thing about Baseline Tap House. They've changed their offerings a few times and its nice going in knowing you can try something new. PLUS, their food there is excellent.

The new churro sandwich...soooo.....gooood! If you're a churro fan this is a must. I can take or leave a churro but this is something I'd go back for over and over.

I'll piggyback off this post.

Homecomin' is amazing. I really had to drag Sean to this one. He was resistant from day one. I thought all the flight options were amazing and had no idea this even existed. It was a nice surprise. I couldn't believe the amount of food on my plate. Side note: I've been having a little intolerance for deep fried food (i.e. whole fried fish from Tiffins :hungover:) and I half feared I would feel the same after this meal. Luckily, not one single issue. I grew up in the South, so all of this food is really like being at home. The whole menu is in my wheelhouse.

I've made my thoughts clear on HBD, but I will reiterate what Sean said, it's a TS at best. The food is good, but not outstanding.

If there is one ride in all of WDW I will never ride again, it's the river ride in Pandora. That's 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back. I thought the new green mission space would be something I'd never ride again, but the river journey secured that top spot. Don't waste a FP on this. I did make one observation about the ground in Pandora. For those living in the South and experience pollen, the ground at Pandora looks like dried pollen after a rainstorm.

Satu'li Canteen - it was so good. It's the best part of Pandora. The beer selection was fine. They're mass audience beers.

Festival of the Lion King - I'm so glad we saw this show. If you haven't see it, just do it.

Baseline Tap House - I could go here every single day. I love the beer and the food and it's such a great people-watching spot in HS.

Y'all...that churro sandwich. It is SO GOOD.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom