Main Street USA

I got some for Thursday and Friday, wish i could gotten the saturday ones
Early Friday may be the best ones to get. It says on Disney's page that they will be filming the "opening" of the show during this four hour stint, and that people with tickets to this time slot will be asked to "be a part of the show," and be asked to participate in some simple dance moves, etc. Ha. Should be interesting.

Depends on what you're after, I guess.

steveford

Hi any news or rumours as to the guests or performers of this years parade. Don't hear anything over in the UK, nor do we get a chance to watch it on Christmas morning! Over in MK a few years ago and watched Beyonce in front of the castle, amazing! oly 5 days to go and we are back in the magic!

prberk

No problem WDWFREAK! Enjoy! :xmas:

And let us all please stay on topic in this thread. It would be greatly appreciated. :lookaroun

In case you are implying that WDW1974 was off topic, I disagree. The name of the thread is "WDW Christmas parade taping," which he is discussing, and comparing to Disneyland's version and especially prior years for WDW's parade.

I used to love the Christmas morning LIVE parade, and always wanted to be there one year. Well, the year my family all decided to go for Christmas (about 10 years ago) was the first time it was not live. And I remember being completely disappointed when TV Guide said that the parade was at 10 a.m., but the parks guidemap said that it was at 3 p.m. I asked someone at the resort and they confirmed that they tried doing a taped parade this year. I had left my VCR to tape it that day (expecting to be in the crowd). But, of course, I was not in the crowd...

But what I did notice at the time, and continue to see today, is how slick and commercial the taped parade was, compared to the live one. A wonderful, fun, live event which mimicked the live atmosphere of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, had turned into a slick commercial that just was nothing compared to the live parade's atmosphere.

If you are not old enough to have seen the live parade, you will never be able to understand the difference, except perhaps by watching the Macy's parade...

I completely agree with WDW1974.

Paul

jakeman

In case you are implying that WDW1974 was off topic, I disagree. The name of the thread is "WDW Christmas parade taping," which he is discussing, and comparing to Disneyland's version and especially prior years for WDW's parade.

I used to love the Christmas morning LIVE parade, and always wanted to be there one year. Well, the year my family all decided to go for Christmas (about 10 years ago) was the first time it was not live. And I remember being completely disappointed when TV Guide said that the parade was at 10 a.m., but the parks guidemap said that it was at 3 p.m. I asked someone at the resort and they confirmed that they tried doing a taped parade this year. I had left my VCR to tape it that day (expecting to be in the crowd). But, of course, I was not in the crowd...

But what I did notice at the time, and continue to see today, is how slick and commercial the taped parade was, compared to the live one. A wonderful, fun, live event which mimicked the live atmosphere of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, had turned into a slick commercial that just was nothing compared to the live parade's atmosphere.

If you are not old enough to have seen the live parade, you will never be able to understand the difference, except perhaps by watching the Macy's parade...

Paul
While the title was vague, the first post clearly spells out the intent of the thread; which is to provide information for those wanting to participate in the Christmas parade taping.

It gave no mention to comparing the parade taping to the live shows of years pass. So other than using the same words, 74's post was off topic. The originator of the thread simply asked that it not be derailed into yet other post about how Disney was better in the past.

Apologies to the OP if I misinterpreted the intent of this thread and I hope that everyone who is seeking tickets to taping are able to obtain them. :wave:

Frank Stallone

Continuing to have a Christmas Parade Taping on the busiest day of the year at the most popular theme park in the world, would be absolutely moronic, and unsafe.

60,000 people unable to walk up and down main street because of Regis' hair. I'll take sleek and well edited over live and jumbled

WDsMouse

Continuing to have a Christmas Parade Taping on the busiest day of the year at the most popular theme park in the world, would be absolutely moronic, and unsafe.

60,000 people unable to walk up and down main street because of Regis' hair. I'll take sleek and well edited over live and jumbled

I completely agree that it should not be taped live on Christmas Day and I am fine with them taping in segments over several days, but it has DEFINITELY turned into one huge commercial for WDW with just bits and pieces of a parade thrown in. I would love to see more of the actual parade!

:xmas:

prberk

I completely agree that it should not be taped live on Christmas Day and I am fine with them taping in segments over several days, but it has DEFINITELY turned into one huge commercial for WDW with just bits and pieces of a parade thrown in. I would love to see more of the actual parade!

:xmas:

That is exactly why live was much better -- anything else IS a slick commercial.

Can you imagine the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade not being done live? And having a few minutes of SCRIPTED, TICKETED people on the side of the street thrown in every so often between pre-taped "remotes" from the luggage department at Macy's with a pop queen showing off decorations inside the store before tossing it back to Matt Lauer in a fake booth?

The live parade worked wonderfully and had so much live excitement to it. The MK has crowd control down. They just had people walking behind ropes, and could always use the backstage passageway as they already do when crowds are too massive anyhow.

They also were forced more to be like a parade when it was live, i.e., more marching bands and genuinely excited participants, as opposed to a string of "remotes" from Disney Channel stars calling in from a ride or attraction (or, worse, from a Disneyland full of "real" crowds, even thougth it wouldn't even be open at that time of day).

The best part of the live parade was that the crowd's energy was real! And that made a better advertisement than the slick stuff does. Maybe you can find one on YouTube and see the difference. It was much more exciting.

Paul

RiversideBunny

There isn't an actual parade.
Not the way they film it.

They run one float or one group of dancers, etc. down Main Street at at time, with long time intervals in between.

Funny thing from the past-
One year, on Christmas Day, we were in our hotel room at POR watching the 'parade' on TV. On TV it was bright and sunny in the Magic Kingdom.
Looking out the window of the resort room, however, you see a heavy downpour of rain.

:xmas::xmas:

jakeman

That is exactly why live was much better -- anything else IS a slick commercial.
The live parade was also a commercial. It just wasn't slick.

For everyone postive of the live parade, I can think of one for the taped. Same for negatives and I've been watching both since I was a child.

RiversideBunny

What day are they filming the WDW parade?

LAS VEGAS, NV -- Regis Philbin soon will have a part swapped out.
He announced on "Live and Regis with Kelly" that he's having a hip replaced because he's "been limping around here and it really is painful."

The surgery is set for next Tuesday, December 1, after the show returns to New York.

Philbin and Kelly Ripa are broadcasting from Las Vegas this week.
Philbin, who's 78, says after his hip heals he'll be back on the show next year.

:)

prberk

The live parade was also a commercial. It just wasn't slick.

For everyone postive of the live parade, I can think of one for the taped. Same for negatives and I've been watching both since I was a child.

The live one was definitely commercial, just as Walt Disney's own use of the "Disneyland" TV series to promote his new park was commercial; but the "slick" side of the equation made all of the difference, in my opinion. It turned it from being a live parade that had a commercial benefit, to being a commercial (or info-mercial) that had a little bit of a "parade" in it....

I know that there are benefits to pre-taping some things, but not a parade, in my opinion. Just takes the excitement out of it.

Thanks for listening.

jakeman

The live one was definitely commercial, just as Walt Disney's own use of the "Disneyland" TV series to promote his new park was commercial; but the "slick" side of the equation made all of the difference, in my opinion. It turned it from being a live parade that had a commercial benefit, to being a commercial (or info-mercial) that had a little bit of a "parade" in it....

I know that there are benefits to pre-taping some things, but not a parade, in my opinion. Just takes the excitement out of it.

Thanks for listening.
I think that is a fair assessment of the current state of the parade.

Disney_Freak429

To the person wondering who Steve Rushton is. He has a song on the G Force soundtrack "Ready To Rock", sings the theme song to The Suite Life On Deck on Disney, & sings a version of "Santa Clause Is Coming To Town" which is a featured music video on the new Santa Buddies dvd. The last of those of coarse will be what he is performing for the parade taping I'm sure.

xSdude

Im going to the taping on Fri. Dec. 4th, but i couldn;t get a ticket, even tho i have year passes, but anyone is allowed in, its just the ticket holders get in earlier, but the taping lasts all day.

WDW1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by psheeder
No problem WDWFREAK! Enjoy! :xmas:

And let us all please stay on topic in this thread. It would be greatly appreciated. :lookaroun

Thanks and that is what I was doing. Some folks get very (wish I could blame it on the holidays!):xmas::eek::xmas: when you attempt to have a discussion or expand something from a very narrow viewpoint.

Folks are free to respond or not respond to posts in kind, yet some simply can't help themselves.

Paul

I'd also say, Paul, that there's something uniquely special about a holiday event that actually happens on said holiday. It's kind of like celebrating your birthday on a different day. Sure, you can. But something gets lost.

Disney's parades have always been 'commercials' for the parks (as well as properties/franchises that are new). But it didn't matter when it was woven into the excitement of a live broadcast on Christmas morning.

Now?

They tape some segments as early as summer and early fall.

It's just not the same. It's like watching a slick music video instead of being in the audience at a concert.:xmas:

WDW1974

Yep. Disney isn't broadcasting the parade live due to concerns over guest safety. Sure.

It's amazing no one died during all the years they did it live.:rolleyes::xmas::rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom