“Something major” coming to DHS???

UNCgolf

I have no idea what Cosmos is.

I assume he's talking about the Carl Sagan docuseries from the early 80s, which had two sequel docuseries with Neil DeGrasse Tyson in the past decade.

The original series was on PBS, the first follow-up was on Fox, and the most recent one was on National Geographic, so Disney presumably would have the rights due to the Fox purchase (which included NatGeo).

doctornick

I assume he's talking about the Carl Sagan docuseries from the early 80s, which had two sequel docuseries with Neil DeGrasse Tyson in the past decade.

The original series was on PBS, the first follow-up was on Fox, and the most recent one was on National Geographic, so Disney presumably would have the rights due to the Fox purchase (which included NatGeo).

Yes. And the new FOX ones appear on Disney+ so at least own the rights to those shows, just not sure if they own the "name" to be able to use as branding.

Edit: Hmmm, apparently it was removed from the service last month so who knows.

DisneyDodo

Not sure if anyone has posted about this (a perfunctory search suggests it was at least not mentioned on this thread), but I just heard a rumor of another IP that is apparently in contention for the Animation Courtyard project, whenever it happens: Inside Out.

I’ve previously only ever heard IO attractions rumored for Epcot, but Disney obviously does not pigeonhole properties to specific parks, so an IO land in DHS wouldn’t surprise me (especially in light of the upcoming relocation of the Joy M&G to there). I’m curious if anyone else has heard anything of this nature?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Not sure if anyone has posted about this (a perfunctory search suggests it was at least not mentioned on this thread), but I just heard a rumor of another IP that is apparently in contention for the Animation Courtyard project, whenever it happens: Inside Out.

I’ve previously only ever heard IO attractions rumored for Epcot, but Disney obviously does not pigeonhole properties to specific parks, so an IO land in DHS wouldn’t surprise me (especially in light of the upcoming relocation of the Joy M&G to there). I’m curious if anyone else has heard anything of this nature?
I certainly hope that this isn't an attempt to make a "Pixar Land."

But I do like IO...

Gusey

With Joy moving out of Imagination to Hollywood Studios this Summer, I can see them trying to add something Inside Out to Pixar Place

LSLS

I certainly hope that this isn't an attempt to make a "Pixar Land."

But I do like IO...
It just feels like IO fits so well into Epcot. I mean, DHS is broad enough it would fit there too, but I'd rather see another IP that can't (or I should say shouldn't) have representation in another park get that spot. I agree though, I love IO, and it definitely needs some park stuff.

FettFan

Zootopia. Star Wars launch bay and custodial.

View attachment 773611

If we’re really lucky Little Mermaid and Disney Junior get some better facades.

See, that would be the area to build a proper 1930s-style Toontown, complete with “Mr. Toad’s Fire Follies” and “Oswald the Lucky Rabbit’s Trolley Troubles”.

Plus meet and greets for some of the lesser known characters like Horace Horsecollar.

doctornick

See, that would be the area to build a proper 1930s-style Toontown, complete with “Mr. Toad’s Fire Follies” and “Oswald the Lucky Rabbit’s Trolley Troubles”.

Plus meet and greets for some of the lesser known characters like Horace Horsecollar.

If I were in charge, I absolutely would build a "Toontown" in that current Animation courtyard area. I think that is the type of environment that would fit DHS well and allow for a lot of flexibility to add or change attractions (or shows, MGS, etc) over time. The Roger Rabbit ride from DL would be a great option to use as one of the offerings (if it is allowed, since there was some question about control of the IP with Amblin).

wedenterprises

If I were in charge, I absolutely would build a "Toontown" in that current Animation courtyard area. I think that is the type of environment that would fit DHS well and allow for a lot of flexibility to add or change attractions (or shows, MGS, etc) over time. The Roger Rabbit ride from DL would be a great option to use as one of the offerings (if it is allowed, since there was some question about control of the IP with Amblin).
I agree, DHS needs one more thing for smaller kids. An old school omnimover ride would be a great addition to that park.

Bocabear

Roger Rabbit's CarToon Spin would be an awesome addition.... add an outdoor spinner to match the toontown theme, and then maybe something else....with shops and a couple quick-serve locations.....

Tha Realest

Original Poster
Roger Rabbit's CarToon Spin would be an awesome addition.... add an outdoor spinner to match the toontown theme, and then maybe something else....with shops and a couple quick-serve locations.....
WFRR is a titanic artistic achievement. Sadly, there’s a lot of bad blood between Disney and Spielberg* in terms of how the character was handled and used after that film, which is largest why there’s not been any major movement with this IP since. And while it’s a great film, I don’t know it has the same cultural cache as the Golden Age films (or the ability to move merchandise).

*I also wonder how his ability to bless the use of RR this project via Amblin - if he even wanted to, which there’s no indication he does - is hamstrung by his exclusivity deal with Universal Parks. That said, the RogerRabbit attraction opened in the mid-90’s, a decade after he formed that partnership with Universal Parks and while the tension between Disney and Spielberg was more fresh.

FettFan

Roger Rabbit would be a hard sell, since he, Jessica, and Baby Herman all belong to Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment.

BUT...you could use the ride system for a new adventure with Fire Chief J. Thaddeus Toad in a spiritual sequel to MTWR.
Toadintoontown.webp

And if they were REALLY smart about it, they'd build it the same way as the original, with two track paths in the same building.
mr-toads-wild-ride-magic-kingdom-disney-ride-layout.png

That way, one track would be for standby queuing, while the other would be for Lightning Lane.

Rosso11

Roger Rabbit would be a hard sell, since he, Jessica, and Baby Herman all belong to Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment.
Amblin and Disney both share ownership which complicates things since both need to sign off. However Disney exclusively holds the merchandising rights so they have the motivation to keep Roger relevant where Amblin does not, since they have no financial gain. In my opinion they should negotiate giving Amblin a small piece of the merchandising revenue in exchange for a controlling interest over the characters.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

WFRR is a titanic artistic achievement. Sadly, there’s a lot of bad blood between Disney and Spielberg* in terms of how the character was handled and used after that film, which is largest why there’s not been any major movement with this IP since. And while it’s a great film, I don’t know it has the same cultural cache as the Golden Age films (or the ability to move merchandise).
Yes, it is a shame the IP has been allowed to more or less die, but I think that's where we are. Whenever people float scenarios where Disney could possibly negotiate ways to incorporate RR in the parks further, I can only image an executive being pitched this idea wondering aloud why they would bother going to such efforts when they have so many other IPs available to them around which to base new attractions that they own outright and are more popular.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No

Just so long as they rethink the current Jessica Rabbit walk around character if they go in that direction... would seem inappropriate for her to be a face character (unless they give her a radically different outfit), but the current masked character they are using is kinda nightmare fuel...

eddie104

My Dream vision…
  • They go ahead and do a complete tear down of all possible facilities and move them to a new location
  • Do a Fantasy Springs level type expansion with Monstropolis/Zootopia and maybe something with the Incredibles.
  • That way we can get 3 major headliner attractions with maybe additional two B or C ticket rides.
  • Now I understand the trackless concern but DHS needs all the additional capacity it can get.

LSLS

My Dream vision…
  • They go ahead and do a complete tear down of all possible facilities and move them to a new location
  • Do a Fantasy Springs level type expansion with Monstropolis/Zootopia and maybe something with the Incredibles.
  • That way we can get 3 major headliner attractions with maybe additional two B or C ticket rides.
  • Now I understand the trackless concern but DHS needs all the additional capacity it can get.
They also don't really need major headliner attractions. The park is devoid of the smaller people eating rides, they have like 4-5 major attractions already out of like 9 total.

doctornick

They also don't really need major headliner attractions. The park is devoid of the smaller people eating rides, they have like 4-5 major attractions already out of like 9 total.

Agreed. While any expansion would surely involving a larger E-ticket to market, Disney should take this opportunity to build a slew of smaller attraction to help balance the park. Somethine like one E-ticket and then ~3 smaller rides (flat rides or small scale dark rides) plus maybe a continuously running show (AA or 4D). would really do wonders for the park's capacity and balance.

Rockishcoco

All the talk of 21st Century Fox IP has me thinking about other potential wildcards from that purchase.

Considering it has a legacy at the park and also was almost an attraction in its own right (before Alien Encounter) what are the chances that one day we see some kind of Alien presence at Hollywood Studios? If they decide to angle HS as the "adult" park with an edgier Villians land I think it could complement the offerings quite well. Of course, there is always the issue of small kids being scared, as seen in Alien Encounter, but I think if the height requirement was high enough it might be mitigated. Such an R-rated experience might not belong at a Disney Park but it does seem like quite an IP to just let rot away with no love.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom