“Something major” coming to DHS???

UNCgolf

The only scene that reminds me of MMRR is the one at the beginning with Judy and Nick in the car. That's where the similarities end though.

Yeah, I don't think they're all that similar.

I also think the Zootopia ride looks significantly worse (and I'm not the biggest fan of MMRR, although it's fine). Every time there's a relatively decent physical scene, you follow it up by parking in front of a screen and watching a movie.

James Alucobond

The only ride system that deserves to have multiple rides at once in a single park is the omnimover, and that park is Peak Epcot (mid-80’s-mid-90’s)
There have always been examples of multiple omnimovers, boat rides, coasters, simulators, theater experiences, etc. per park. This is no different. Trackless technology can be used for a wide variety of applications. I'm not saying Zootopia is especially distinct (and I haven't experienced it in person to know), but there's no reason to say a park can only have a trackless attraction or two.

MerlinTheGoat

I haven't ridden and I've avoided any ride through videos so I have no idea. Just kind of going off of what others have said about the Zootopia ride.
I went ahead and watched a video as I don't expect to ever visit SDL in person. Other than the ride system and that one scene at the start, there's pretty much nothing that reminds me of MMRR at all. If anything, it reminds me more of Ratatouille. But even there, it's not that similar. I don't get the comparisons to MMRR...

Yeah, I don't think they're all that similar.

I also think the Zootopia ride looks significantly worse (and I'm not the biggest fan of MMRR, although it's fine). Every time there's a relatively decent physical scene, you follow it up by parking in front of a screen and watching a movie.
I'm the opposite. I don't think either ride is "good", but I think MMRR is downright bad, while Zootopia is okay. Not great, but there's much more in Zootopia that I like than MMRR.

UNCgolf

I went ahead and watched a video as I don't expect to ever visit SDL in person. Other than the ride system and that one scene at the start, there's pretty much nothing that reminds me of MMRR at all. If anything, it reminds me more of Ratatouille. But even there, it's not that similar. I don't get the comparisons to MMRR...

I'm the opposite. I don't think either ride is "good", but I think MMRR is downright bad, while Zootopia is okay. Not great, but there's much more in Zootopia that I like than MMRR.

Zootopia is like half of a good ride, but all the parking to watch movies just completely ruins it -- both from a flow standpoint and overall quality.

I wish MMRR was based around physical sets and AAs instead of projections, but the fact that it's consistent with that medium essentially all the way through makes it work better. Zootopia is like a series of letdowns where every time the ride starts to get interesting it grinds to a halt, which makes it more disappointing IMO.

doctornick

The only ride system that deserves to have multiple rides at once in a single park is the omnimover, and that park is Peak Epcot (mid-80’s-mid-90’s)

Ironically, as much as I enjoyed classic Epcot, I'd argue that it is the poster child for over-reliance on the same ride mechanism and similar experiences. Individually, the old Epcot rides were great but collectively there was definitely a sameness about them. If that style didn't appeal to a person, it is understandable that they could fine the park "boring". Having a wide variety of experiences is something that is a hallmark of a Disney park and something that I do think was an issue for classic Epcot.

Splash4eva

DHS is definitely the best park for Zootopia -- if that's what they're building, though, it's still unfortunate because the Zootopia ride doesn't look very good for what they'll likely spend on it. They could design something significantly better.

That said, it would still be a bigger help for the park than the Door Coaster (or really any kind of coaster/thrill ride). DHS doesn't need another of those right now between Tower of Terror, Slinky Dog Dash, and RNRC, unless they're planning to build multiple attractions.
I would hope major means at least 2 maybe 3….

Tha Realest

Original Poster
Individually, the old Epcot rides were great but collectively there was definitely a sameness about them. If that style didn't appeal to a person, it is understandable that they could fine the park "boring". Having a wide variety of experiences is something that is a hallmark of a Disney park and something that I do think was an issue for classic Epcot.
I don’t disagree I find myself constantly trying to mentally parse which scene was in WOM vs Horizons v SSE.

UNCgolf

I still think Shanghai POTC would be a perfect fit and bring that tech to the USA. High capacity, no height restriction and fits well in the "movie park". Then remove the Jack Sparrow stuff from the regular POTC to help differentiate the two rides.

I'd love to see them use the system, but I'd rather not have a clone of the Shanghai POTC because I think they could design a significantly better attraction with it. The Shanghai ride relies far too heavily on movies over physical set pieces -- it's still good, but it could easily be much better.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I generally don't get the argument about "too many of the same ride system in the same park". At least regarding ride systems that are multi-purpose enough to fit a number of different use cases. Trackless systems aren't some sort of highly specialized ride system like Test Track or Tower of Terror. They have a multi-purpose use case similar to classic bus-bar or omni-mover systems. And those systems don't get the same sort of complaints about being redundant.

I do have my complaints about modern trackless rides, but it's not so much about the ride system itself. More the way space and scenery is managed when creating thesee types of rides. Imagineers tend to rely heavily on video projection and/or shoving scenery tightly against a wall to make way for the large vehicle paths. Again though, this isn't really the ride system's fault but rather the imagineers not being able to manage space properly.

I can't imagine what the reaction would have been if the internet was around when Star Tours and Body Wars opened within a few months of each other.

BrianLo

The only scene that reminds me of MMRR is the one at the beginning with Judy and Nick in the car. That's where the similarities end though.

I don’t want to spoil myself, but ya.. MMRR and ROTR are nothing alike to begin with. Completely different experiences, physicality, audiences and tricks. I really never got the impression Zootopia was much like either otherwise.

If a slate of very similar bus bar fantasy rides or the original Epcot that people pine for are seen as desirable, there’s nothing egregiously redundant here.

Predominantly it saves design money, allows them to build an urban setting that can more easily cover up the myriad of backstage sight lines they’d have issue with and adds an already partially ready to go project with a non-height restricted headliner.

It’s not perfect, but I don’t really see how we have much better choices. While cool, I don’t think the Monsters coaster is much more than wishful thinking and it wouldn’t really improve the fact the park needs more everyone can ride draws.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom