“Something major” coming to DHS???

Disstevefan1

In another thread, @MerlinTheGoat has shared that “something major” has been funded and it’s not what’s been rumored or slated for MK or DAK.

I thought it may be worthwhile to add some grist to this rumor mill in its own thread.

Any insight, speculation, or guesses here?
I am not falling for it.

I have NO FATH in Disney doing anything "major" in DHS.

Lets say its true, if they started tomorrow, it would take 3 to 6 YEARS to complete something "major".

As we know, they must first talk about it for a year or two before a shovel goes in the ground.

Moth

i was sniffing copium thinking it was something in epcot bc of the "not DAK or MK" hint but oh well.

me thinks cars.

UNCgolf

It would at least be the least offensive place for Zootopia to go, though I still think if they’re going to duplicate an existing land, Carsland makes the most sense since a Hollywood to Route 66 connection actually kind of works thematically. Only problem is the Radiator Springs / Test Track overlap, but perhaps that can be mitigated by the TT redo.

DHS is definitely the best park for Zootopia -- if that's what they're building, though, it's still unfortunate because the Zootopia ride doesn't look very good for what they'll likely spend on it. They could design something significantly better.

That said, it would still be a bigger help for the park than the Door Coaster (or really any kind of coaster/thrill ride). DHS doesn't need another of those right now between Tower of Terror, Slinky Dog Dash, and RNRC, unless they're planning to build multiple attractions.

Last edited:

doctornick

DHS is definitely the best park for Zootopia -- if that's what they're building, though, it's still unfortunate because the Zootopia ride doesn't look very good for what they'll likely spend on it.

That said, it would still be a bigger help for the park than the Door Coaster (or really any kind of coaster/thrill ride). DHS doesn't need another of those right now between Tower of Terror, Slinky Dog Dash, and RNRC, unless they're planning to build multiple attractions.
The other problem with Zootopia - assuming it would be a copy of the SDL land - is that it is only one ride. DHS desperately needs a number of smaller additions more than it needs any headliners (if one consider the Zootopia ride one). That's why off the cuff I'd prefer a full blown Cars Land because it has three rides and DHS could use those smaller ones, even if Mater's is similar to the Alien ride.

doctornick

As an aside about any DHS expansion... is it possible that some additions to Galaxy's Edge could be considered? Like adding a third attraction (we know there is expansion space allocated) or the table service restaurant?

James Alucobond

As an aside about any DHS expansion... is it possible that some additions to Galaxy's Edge could be considered? Like adding a third attraction (we know there is expansion space allocated) or the table service restaurant?
Added rides should be in the cards for multiple lands, Galaxy’s Edge and Pandora chief among them. A massive playground in Toy Story Land would be a solid idea as well to simultaneously absorb more people, add more set pieces to Slinky Dog Dash, and create more explorable area.

DisneyDean97

DHS is definitely the best park for Zootopia -- if that's what they're building, though, it's still unfortunate because the Zootopia ride doesn't look very good for what they'll likely spend on it.

Isn't sad how we're just accustomed to Disney building new lands with just 1 ride, lol we're not even expecting more than 1 attraction anymore 😂
Although a Zootopia land could easily add some flat rides to its lineup, and probably blend in well.

JustInTime

I don't think there's any particular reason to think that just because Zootopia is going into the ToL theater that it couldn't also go into another park. Plenty of examples (BatB, Little Mermaid, Frozen etc.) of them using the same IP in different parks.

Actually, there was someone who brought up that the Door Coaster plans were being dusted off and considered so that might be something under consideration.
That’s my hope!!

SirLink

I know people are saying put Zootopia in DHS, however, it would have to be a new ride system if it was. The ride in Shanghai is basically ROTR with furries Park Ops is still having PTSD over the reliability of that attraction. So.... there was supposed to be one of those fabled 'black box' attractions spaces that WDI was peddling in Launch Bay.

James Alucobond

I know people are saying put Zootopia in DHS, however, it would have to be a new ride system if it was. The ride in Shanghai is basically ROTR with furries Park Ops is still having PTSD over the reliability of that attraction. So.... there was supposed to be one of those fabled 'black box' attractions spaces that WDI was peddling in Launch Bay.
It's just trackless. Runaway Railway and Ratatouille seem to be fine in terms of reliability. The issues with Rise seem to be the result of a confluence of potential points of failure.

rct247

Highly doubt it will be Zootopia and also hope it isn't. I also don't think if there is anything to this rumor that it would be that big of an expansion. That expansion pad is a great location, but remember whatever goes there will have a giant Animation office building, the giant Coaster soundstage building, and Tower of Terror within sightlines on all sides.

MerlinTheGoat

Eh, I mean its another trackless dark ride... but if its built at DHS, that would be 3 trackless dark rides in one park... a bit too repetitive imho.
I generally don't get the argument about "too many of the same ride system in the same park". At least regarding ride systems that are multi-purpose enough to fit a number of different use cases. Trackless systems aren't some sort of highly specialized ride system like Test Track or Tower of Terror. They have a multi-purpose use case similar to classic bus-bar or omni-mover systems. And those systems don't get the same sort of complaints about being redundant.

I do have my complaints about modern trackless rides, but it's not so much about the ride system itself. More the way space and scenery is managed when creating thesee types of rides. Imagineers tend to rely heavily on video projection and/or shoving scenery tightly against a wall to make way for the large vehicle paths. Again though, this isn't really the ride system's fault but rather the imagineers not being able to manage space properly.

doctornick

I generally don't get the argument about "too many of the same ride system in the same park". At least regarding ride systems that are multi-purpose enough to fit a number of different use cases. Trackless systems aren't some sort of highly specialized ride system like Test Track or Tower of Terror. They have a multi-purpose use case similar to classic bus-bar or omni-mover systems. And those systems don't get the same sort of complaints about being redundant.

I do have my complaints about modern trackless rides, but it's not so much about the ride system itself. More the way space and scenery is managed when creating thesee types of rides. Imagineers tend to rely heavily on video projection and/or shoving scenery tightly against a wall to make way for the large vehicle paths. Again though, this isn't really the ride system's fault but rather the imagineers not being able to manage space properly.

In this case, I think the argument/concern if that it might feel too similar to MMRR in terms of an experience. I think if (say) they were adding Pooh or BatB from Tokyo, they would be different enough from the other trackless rides at DHS to seem more unique.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom