“Something major” coming to DHS???

The Leader of the Club

And that's good for them. But there's also a lot of people who won't. Not everyone is a "Swiftie".
That’s true and it would probably make a lot of people upset (like any change in these parks does). However, I think more young people (kids, teens, young adults) would be on board. It would be a slam-dunk for Disney’s Target demo.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
In another thread, @MerlinTheGoat has shared that “something major” has been funded and it’s not what’s been rumored or slated for MK or DAK.

I thought it may be worthwhile to add some grist to this rumor mill in its own thread.

Any insight, speculation, or guesses here?

lips watson GIF by Teachers on TV Land

yep.

Bocabear

My ideal would be a giant ToonTown. I doubt that would happen because it would actually be cool and could add up to 5 attractions. Monstropolis would be okay. Carsland a little less so. Zootopia much less so.

Would prefer if it was something new we weren't hearing about.
Olivia Rodrigoland?
Toontown makes a ton of sense except the IP has not been used in Florida except for the ACME warehouse set from 20years ago... It was a fun movie...the shorts they were doing for a while after that were a lot of fun too... I would love to see them start making those again... and Toontown is a place all the toons can fit... So as you enter the park, the left side heading up the street could be all based on live action/adventure films, The right side could be cartoons and animated films... Adds some organization to the otherwise chaotically laid out park... Central Core The Hollywood that Never was....
Create an extended Toontown main street between the Animation Courtyard and the Sunset market running to RNRR...a Parallel to Sunset Blvd... Retheme RNRR to a cartoon franchise....It could work... Makes sense to me anyhow....

Brer Oswald

Olivia Rodrigoland?
Toontown makes a ton of sense except the IP has not been used in Florida except for the ACME warehouse set from 20years ago... It was a fun movie...the shorts they were doing for a while after that were a lot of fun too... I would love to see them start making those again... and Toontown is a place all the toons can fit... So as you enter the park, the left side heading up the street could be all based on live action/adventure films, The right side could be cartoons and animated films... Adds some organization to the otherwise chaotically laid out park... Central Core The Hollywood that Never was....
Create an extended Toontown main street between the Animation Courtyard and the Sunset market running to RNRR...a Parallel to Sunset Blvd... Retheme RNRR to a cartoon franchise....It could work... Makes sense to me anyhow....
There’s potential for several districts. Duckburg, Mickey’s Neighborhood , the Downtown Core with Roger Rabbit, an Oswald Trolley line, etc. So much potential.

Sir_Cliff

I'm in the camp of thinking the Shanghai Zootopia ride and MMRR are too similar for the former to open as a big new addition to DHS. Beyond the scene with Nick and Judy in the car being almost directly lifted from MMRR, they're both very much trackless rides that spin through physical sets then park you in front of a screen for some action sequence. I don't think it's too much of a problem to have similar rides in different parks at the same resort, but this seems a little too much like building Mission: Breakout somewhere else in the park as a new attraction.

DisneyDodo

I have a hard time believing that a company that seems to spend 80% of its domestic construction budget on DEI initiatives these days is going to bring in a police-chase ride. The backlash would be 10x Splash. And then they’d risk a Superstar Limo-esque fiasco with some high-profile police shooting derailing the ride completely.

PizzaPlanet

It’s not perfect, but I don’t really see how we have much better choices. While cool, I don’t think the Monsters coaster is much more than wishful thinking and it wouldn’t really improve the fact the park needs more everyone can ride draws.
What if we got both? Zootopia and Monstropolis could work next to each other if done right. That way you get an all ages ride plus something moderately thrilling.

co10064

Premium Member
I'm in the camp of thinking the Shanghai Zootopia ride and MMRR are too similar for the former to open as a big new addition to DHS. Beyond the scene with Nick and Judy in the car being almost directly lifted from MMRR, they're both very much trackless rides that spin through physical sets then park you in front of a screen for some action sequence. I don't think it's too much of a problem to have similar rides in different parks at the same resort, but this seems a little too much like building Mission: Breakout somewhere else in the park as a new attraction.
I would also say the elevator/drop scene is very similar to Rise (even if you're not actually changing levels).

BrianLo

What if we got both? Zootopia and Monstropolis could work next to each other if done right. That way you get an all ages ride plus something moderately thrilling.

I just don’t think it’s a real proposal; rather than a long dead blue sky project that’s 15+ years old and rattling around the rumour mill out of hope.

I’d refer to Bob’s DL Forward list of franchises in consideration right now: Frozen, Encanto, Coco, Zootopia, Moana. Wakanda is out for Florida and Indy is in. I’d also reference the planned removal of a Monsters Inc presence in DCA.

Something not mentioned and perhaps because it does have an anemic representation in DCA is Inside Out. If the sequel hits, Epcot’s prospects for a small project this decade would rise.

BrianLo

There is a long history of WDW lifting clones that don’t quite make 100 percent sense if it was actually developed for the park from scratch - and this is one of them. This is the company that parked Tron beside Space Mountain. It’s motivated by urgency and being a bigger project that could be enacted on a faster timeline.

Again, I’d argue you are all just getting hung up on the ride vehicle and one scene. the latter could be modified without throwing the timeline into disarray, if they cared, not sure if they do. I doubt they do from the company that happily kept the French language baked into Ratatouille. Which I actually find charming.

Otherwise “rides that spin through physical sets then park you in front of a screen for some action sequence” describes almost every ride out of either company these days. The only unique identifier is trackless.

Zootopia was not meant to be a literal menu replacement for SDL missing MMRR. Things like Tron and Guardians are actual menu replacements. The busbar collection exists in Disneyland and I don’t even think anyone would be upset if there was a proposal for another one there.

Brer Panther

Something not mentioned and perhaps because it does have an anemic representation in DCA is Inside Out. If the sequel hits, Epcot’s prospects for a small project this decade would rise.
Oh, jeez, they'll probably bring back those plans to shove it in the Imagination pavilion...

Sir_Cliff

There is a long history of WDW lifting clones that don’t quite make 100 percent sense if it was actually developed for the park from scratch - and this is one of them. This is the company that parked Tron beside Space Mountain. It’s motivated by urgency and being a bigger project that could be enacted on a faster timeline.

Again, I’d argue you are all just getting hung up on the ride vehicle and one scene. the latter could be modified without throwing the timeline into disarray, if they cared, not sure if they do. I doubt they do from the company that happily kept the French language baked into Ratatouille. Which I actually find charming.

Otherwise “rides that spin through physical sets then park you in front of a screen for some action sequence” describes almost every ride out of either company these days. The only unique identifier is trackless.

Zootopia was not meant to be a literal menu replacement for SDL missing MMRR. Things like Tron and Guardians are actual menu replacements. The busbar collection exists in Disneyland and I don’t even think anyone would be upset if there was a proposal for another one there.
I see your point and also agree, overall, that DHS would be the best spot for a Zootopia land should they want to build one at WDW. I also wouldn't be surprised if Disney didn't really care about any possible similarities and, Tron-style, just looked around for something that could be relatively easily lifted from one resort to the other tied to an IP that, in this case, they seem interested in promoting.

I suppose my feeling regarding the similarity of the experiences is that Disney does have to watch having basically one trick when designing new attractions, or it feeling that way. To me, anyway, this just looks a little too much like a MMRR/Ratatouille hybrid to sit alongside either of those attractions in the same park without it feeling like Disney is starting to just make slight variations on the same ride.

The busbar collection feels a bit different to me as they are relatively minor attractions and aimed at a younger audience. I feel like this would be a little bit more like if, after Pirate's success at Disneyland, the Western-themed replacement proposed for WDW opened up in Disneyland's Frontierland. The big criticism of Universal is that it has a lot of similar, screen-based experiences and one of the issues with EPCOT Center when it opened was that it offered a lot of very similar ride experiences. Cloning Zootopia at DHS wouldn't rise to that level yet, but personally I do feel guests may start to notice that a lot of the recent attractions had a very similar format to the point they would be better off trying something else.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm all for them re-theming RNRC to a super popular artist...every few years and, I honestly don't know if I could name a single Taylor Swift song, they would get a LOT of people in line for that and I know she has a wide appeal and is family friendly.

However, in my example, people would be mad when she eventually gets replaced. Aerosmith hasn't had a hit song in....2 decades? It's just way past time for them to have a new band or theme.

BrianLo

I see your point and also agree, overall, that DHS would be the best spot for a Zootopia land should they want to build one at WDW. I also wouldn't be surprised if Disney didn't really care about any possible similarities and, Tron-style, just looked around for something that could be relatively easily lifted from one resort to the other tied to an IP that, in this case, they seem interested in promoting.

I suppose my feeling regarding the similarity of the experiences is that Disney does have to watch having basically one trick when designing new attractions, or it feeling that way. To me, anyway, this just looks a little too much like a MMRR/Ratatouille hybrid to sit alongside either of those attractions in the same park without it feeling like Disney is starting to just make slight variations on the same ride.

The busbar collection feels a bit different to me as they are relatively minor attractions and aimed at a younger audience. I feel like this would be a little bit more like if, after Pirate's success at Disneyland, the Western-themed replacement proposed for WDW opened up in Disneyland's Frontierland. The big criticism of Universal is that it has a lot of similar, screen-based experiences and one of the issues with EPCOT Center when it opened was that it offered a lot of very similar ride experiences. Cloning Zootopia at DHS wouldn't rise to that level yet, but personally I do feel guests may start to notice that a lot of the recent attractions had a very similar format to the point they would be better off trying something else.

Very much so. It’s a trade off and it’s a bit unfortunate MMRR is so close. Kind of an all or none situation. They can rush a pretty good project or back burner for something else. Which would probably put off the project another 4+ years. I too think DHS would highly benefit from water. But it seems like the sentiment on this forum is they need to start rushing projects.

At the very least Disney has done a set of indoor coasters, a princess flume, presumably Indy, whatever Encanto is (which could very well be trackless, different feeling), probably Test Track in between the trackless additions. Plus a large smattering of entertainment. Universal was burning itself not by Transformers, but by the aggressive close timing of Kong and F&F. The latter feeling disingenuous to the franchise and highlighting the problem. It also took until same-same attraction 4/5 in USF before the complaints kicked into high gear.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom