“Something major” coming to DHS???

MerlinTheGoat

You could do far worse than Moana for Adventureland. At least as far as IP goes. Doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would cause much rage, even from hyper critical people. If it was a Tiki Room replacement (which was a pitch some years ago), that would be another story. But I assume this is meant to be the DAK boat ride and a proper expansion on new land. If true anyway.

I assumed the horribly unfitting attraction was Frontierland though...

DisneyDean97

You could do far worse than Moana for Adventureland. At least as far as IP goes. Doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would cause much rage, even from hyper critical people. If it was a Tiki Room replacement (which was a pitch some years ago), that would be another story. But I assume this is meant to be the DAK boat ride and a proper expansion on new land. If true anyway.

I assumed the horribly unfitting attraction was Frontierland though...
If I recall correctly, isn't Moana (at least the concept for AK) was a smaller version of Splash Mountain??

UNCgolf

The blue sky artwork looked like that, but also recall that there were patents for a domed sailing simulator of some kind that appeared around the same time.

I'm hoping they stick with the blue sky artwork or something totally different -- the domed simulator never sounded very fun/interesting.

James Alucobond

I'm hoping they stick with the blue sky artwork or something totally different -- the domed simulator never sounded very fun/interesting.
If it goes in Adventureland, I do think they need to be cognizant of the fact that it's in a land where the other two core attractions (Pirates and Jungle Cruise) are already water-based, plus it's adjacent to the land containing Bayou Adventure. Utilizing a simulator element, even if it's only a small part of the ride, would at least differentiate it.

BrianLo

If it is, that's fine, but it would need more than one attraction. DHS is in desperate need of "more things to do" moreso than needing another headliner.

Edit: I'd prefer Cars Land if they are going to clone an entire land from somewhere else

The pandora DCA land speaks to me that they are making concerted efforts to keep the domestic parks more unique.

DCA is probably the weakest park in their portfolio sentiment wise right now. Objectively is a different matter, but DHS seems to be incredibly popularly perceived at this juncture.

mickEblu

The pandora DCA land speaks to me that they are making concerted efforts to keep the domestic parks more unique.

DCA is probably the weakest park in their portfolio sentiment wise right now. Objectively is a different matter, but DHS seems to be incredibly popularly perceived at this juncture.

This is an interesting thought and I'm inclined to agree. DCA being a few feet from Disneyland doesn't help its case in this matter either.

That DCA Avatar land concept art makes me optimistic for the future for a few reasons. First it’s beautiful, grand and full of kinetic energy. It hits all three in a way I don’t think we’ve seen since what? Cars Land? Maybe even more so as Cars Land doesn’t have the water. Of course the end result remains to be seen and it’ll come down to the execution but I like what I’m seeing.

Then you also have to love that they’re not going with a clone of Pandora at AK. At first that thought worried me as my trust in WDI/ Disney has diminished over the last few years so I figured a clone would have been a safer bet especially without Rohde there. But I’m starting to get the sense that this might be the start of another good era when it comes to the parks. I guess it always a cycle. They a really rough patch the last few years and those poor results is what propels change. Epic Universe helps too.

Lastly, the decisions surrounding this project are earning my trust back. Choosing the right park and right land to build? Check (if rumors are true). Acknowledging DCAs biggest need? Check. The park needs a family friendly boat ride big time. Going above and beyond? Check. (Assuming it stays close to the concept art and it is indeed the Shanghai POTC ride system).

BrianLo

This is an interesting thought and I'm inclined to agree. DCA being a few feet from Disneyland doesn't help its case in this matter either.

That DCA Avatar land concept art makes me optimistic for the future for a few reasons. First it’s beautiful, grand and full of kinetic energy. It hits all three in a way I don’t think we’ve seen since what? Cars Land? Maybe even more so as Cars Land doesn’t have the water. Of course the end result remains to be seen and it’ll come down to the execution but I like what I’m seeing.

Then you also have to love that they’re not going with a clone of Pandora at AK. At first that thought worried me as my trust in WDI/ Disney has diminished over the last few years so I figured a clone would have been a safer bet especially without Rohde there. But I’m starting to get the sense that this might be the start of another good era when it comes to the parks. I guess it always a cycle. They a really rough patch the last few years and those poor results is what propels change. Epic Universe helps too.

Lastly, the decisions surrounding this project are earning my trust back. Choosing the right park and right land to build? Check (if rumors are true). Acknowledging DCAs biggest need? Check. The park needs a family friendly boat ride big time. Going above and beyond? Check. (Assuming it stays close to the concept art and it is indeed the Shanghai POTC ride system).

We are both very much co supporters of this project. 😊

Maybe Adventure Isle at Shanghai Disneyland, which is low key a really great land. Pandora in AK doesn’t meet your kinetic energy parameter.

mickEblu

We are both very much co supporters of this project. 😊

Maybe Adventure Isle at Shanghai Disneyland, which is low key a really great land. Pandora in AK doesn’t meet your kinetic energy parameter.

I actually thought of it when writing my last post. Don’t remember loving the aesthetics at the level of lands like Pandora or Cars Land. But that’s more of a subjective thing. Then again I’m not usually a fan of the desert aesthetic but Cars Land/ Cadillac Mountain range is so great/grand it doesn’t matter.

DisneyDodo

Disney isn’t building a new Avatar ride at DCA because they’re trying to keep the parks different (and there are rumors that this same attraction may make its way to DAK too). For better or worse, that’s not something Disney is concerned with. I think they are reserving the FoP ride system for the Avengers E-ticket, hence necessitating a different direction for Avatar.

DisneyDodo

If I hear the words "Blue Sky" in another D23 presentation, I'm going to throw my computer up into the actual blue sky.
I wouldn’t mind if they included some blue sky concepts in the panel if it was meant to supplement the concrete plans. The problem in 2022-23 was that “Blue Sky” was all they offered. They were trying to have their cake and eat it too by generating hype for things without making any commitments.

mickEblu

Disney isn’t building a new Avatar ride at DCA because they’re trying to keep the parks different (and there are rumors that this same attraction may make its way to DAK too). For better or worse, that’s not something Disney is concerned with. I think they are reserving the FoP ride system for the Avengers E-ticket, hence necessitating a different direction for Avatar.

No probably not but the outcome is welcomed nonetheless. The driver is that it’s what the park needs. A big draw and a family friendly (boat) ride. I hope that’s true about Avengers and they don’t go with the Transformers on a motion base ride system. The last concept art certainly looked more like Transformers but things may have changed. If the Avengers ride system is what was driving this whole thing then I feel like we’d be hearing more about Avengers and less about Avatar.

HMF

I am assuming the "California" theme in Disney "California" Adventure is a non-sequitur?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom