“Something major” coming to DHS???

mattpeto

There have always been scary things at Disney Parks and it was never an issue... Snow White's Scary Adventures was one...Haunted Mansion, even Mr. Toad's Hell ending... Being a little scared is part of the fun... Like Alien Encounter...
When did kids become such snowflakes that attractions have to be all sugary sweet and fluffy to exist in the park?
You can have more than one emotion in the course of a day and still have the best time of your life...then there is also the the whole "right of passage" thing with more adult attractions that become milestones for kids... The parks should always be a mix of experiences for different age groups... not everything aimed at the 3-6 year old set.
The attraction content and queues obviously don't need to hold back any more than they have in the past, but an entire land (and most especially an entire park) shouldn't be uninviting, unattractive, or foreboding, in my opinion. It's supposed to be transportive, not oppressive.

A land and dark castle with a gargoyle of Chernabog sounds great but you will get people to skip it. Not easy to pull off…

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

This is true but I can actually expand upon it. In 2002 when it was decided to close Alien Encounter I had a conversation with Lee Cockerell, who ran WDW at the time, and questioned him about it. He explained that the main reason they came to the decision to close it was because of its unfortunate location. The majority of people enter MK walk down Main Street and turn right into Tomorrowland. Their first attraction they would encounter was Alien Encounter. Unfortunately the fear from that attraction set the stage for the remainder of many guests day. And as you said too many small children were going in and getting frightened on their first attraction. He said if it was simply in the back of Tomorrowland it would have been a non issue. Good chance it would still be there today and probably would be being converted into an Alien movie tie in which was what the original plan was.
It probably didn’t help that for much of its last years it was the only attraction in the front of Tomorrowland.

Brer Oswald

I just don’t think it’s a real proposal; rather than a long dead blue sky project that’s 15+ years old and rattling around the rumour mill out of hope.

I’d refer to Bob’s DL Forward list of franchises in consideration right now: Frozen, Encanto, Coco, Zootopia, Moana. Wakanda is out for Florida and Indy is in. I’d also reference the planned removal of a Monsters Inc presence in DCA.

Something not mentioned and perhaps because it does have an anemic representation in DCA is Inside Out. If the sequel hits, Epcot’s prospects for a small project this decade would rise.
Wakanda is out? Damn. I really wanted to ride the Shuricopter.

Bocabear

A land and dark castle with a gargoyle of Chernabog sounds great but you will get people to skip it. Not easy to pull off…
So...Some people don't like slow moving dark rides and avoid them, some people don't like rollercoasters and avoid them... a majority of guests I think would be excited about a Villain's Lair type area with some spooky areas...It's Disney, so the level of actual fright will be pretty tame... If you have toddlers that are afraid, Fantasyland is 100 feet away...no problem.

JD80

You ever see parents avoid It’s Tough to be Bug? I do or it’s a one and done. It’s hard for scarier rides to appeal to the masses. Snow White Scary Adventures and Stitch/Alien are examples.

Now picture a whole land of it.

Artists Point is a pretty good example of what they can do with a Villains land. I know that's one of your favs. Don't have to all be jump scares.

Bocabear

Of course not, and this is a Disney version of Villains that are all perfectly acceptable in shows and events all the time... They are not graphic or terribly frightening.... Why now people are reacting like it is going to be Halloween Horror Nights I have no idea... It will be Disney... Hopefully beautiful, creative, immersive, and silly scary family-friendly fun...

Andrew25

Of course not, and this is a Disney version of Villains that are all perfectly acceptable in shows and events all the time... They are not graphic or terribly frightening.... Why now people are reacting like it is going to be Halloween Horror Nights I have no idea... It will be Disney... Hopefully beautiful, creative, immersive, and silly scary family-friendly fun...
Even Universal's monsters land at Epic will be "tame" compared to things like HHN. The "bone-chilling" type of scary is fine for year round operations, not the "terrifying" type of scary.

Bocabear

And, being Disney and Magic Kingdom, "Bone Chilling" is not even close to what we would get...
I think it could be as terrifying as Hogsmeade Village is at Island Of Adventure... Nothing too scary... All G rated fun...but a nice break from Princesses...something a little edgier.... and if some people want to skip the area....that is fine. Not everything has to appeal to every possible demographic. ..but I wager there are an awful lot of paying guests that would really love something like this...

JMcMahonEsq

And, being Disney and Magic Kingdom, "Bone Chilling" is not even close to what we would get...
I think it could be as terrifying as Hogsmeade Village is at Island Of Adventure... Nothing too scary... All G rated fun...but a nice break from Princesses...something a little edgier.... and if some people want to skip the area....that is fine. Not everything has to appeal to every possible demographic. ..but I wager there are an awful lot of paying guests that would really love something like this...
I am not sure I get the point/demographic you're going for here. Nothing too scary, and all G rated fun...but a little edgier? What is that? Is it PG, PG 13? It seems like going with this idea you wind up with something that is scarier than some of the younger kids may want, but not scary/adventurous enough to appeal to any new/different demographic. Or you just end up with the same type of rides/experiences, just focusing on different characters. If that's the case what's the point?

As to a break from Princesses, as the dad of 2 boys, where does MK feel overly princessy? Space/Thunder/7d/Pirates/HM/PP/Small world/Buzz/People Mover/CoT/HoP with all that and more you still think there needs to be a "break" from Princesses?

Bocabear

There are concerns that if Disney did attempt a Villains based land that is would be too scary and a hard sell for the parks. I do not believe it would be...I feel they would balance it out...Edgier but not violent and gory like a Halloween Horror Nights type area. That is what I am trying to convey. The Disney properties all have a lot of Princess stuff in my opinion...But maybe that's my take. When they shut down an actual ride to make a big Princess Meet and Greet, I think it has gone too far towards the Princesses.... I think something edgier but not so scary it would frighten away most guests would be a welcome addition...

Tha Realest

Original Poster
Watch this space for a future development.
see bird box GIF

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom