“Something major” coming to DHS???

RSoxNo1

Honestly if they just went with the classic animation style instead of Meth head Mickey I might not hate it so much but even if that were to change the dancing segment still makes me nauseous to the point in which I refuse to ride it again.
I think the animation style is befitting of the attraction. That doesn't mean they couldn't have done a different story with the classic versions of Mickey, but the attraction is in the universe of that version of Mickey.

I like MMRR and I wasn't a fan of GMR for the last 5-7 years of it's existence. That being said, I think at this point behind the scenes Disney would acknowledge that the park would be far better off with an updated GMR and MMRR built elsewhere in the park.

Last edited:

EricsBiscuit

Genuinely, if they just added a new Omnimover and a few flats to the parks that particularly need more capacity, it would make a huge difference. Encanto should 100% be a sensibly-budgeted Omnimover, it's designed well for the intimacy of touring a multi-floored home, and they can even explain the casita is moving the vehicles along like it does with people by moving the tiles. But you just know it's gonna be a trackless system with wide open rooms that costs a heap, takes a half-decade to build, and then doesn't move many people per hour. Similarly, DHS is gonna end up with some overpriced headliner project that doesn't address what it really needs.
Rat and MMRR have good hourly capacities.

MouseEarsMom33

I think they are saving their super heroes for a fifth gate (ie. Marvel + Incredibles & Big Hero Six). I think a "Heroes and Villains" park would be a great 5th gate. I think the villains talk at MK is a decoy for something else they have planned to gauge interest.
After the positive reaction to Villains, if Villains doesn't go in MK, then maybe that's a sign for a future park. However, I don't see MK expansion, DHS expansion, DAK Dinoland redo and possible E-ticket in addition to a 5th gate. Unless Disney is really worried about EPIC Universe and other rumored ride changes / expansions (Pokemon, Lord of the Rings) but I don't think they are that worried.

Bocabear

I really would be surprised if Villains Land actually ever happens.

There will be a demographic or two that completely skips it.
I don't think that is necessarily true... The reason they re-skinned Alien Encounter was because people kept bringing their toddlers in, regardless of the warning... I would see Villains land the same... It will still be heavily attended and being Disney, it will not be very scary....Matter of fact, I think the Villain meet and Greets would be extremely popular.

rd805

After the positive reaction to Villains, if Villains doesn't go in MK, then maybe that's a sign for a future park. However, I don't see MK expansion, DHS expansion, DAK Dinoland redo and possible E-ticket in addition to a 5th gate. Unless Disney is really worried about EPIC Universe and other rumored ride changes / expansions (Pokemon, Lord of the Rings) but I don't think they are that worried.

Not Sure how Possible this is - but a Villians Land with some sort of connection to Fantasmic in HS would be more of a preference for me. It would have to be a huge land though to really do it justice, so doubt that space is there.

A dark Centerpiece castle combination roller coaster attraction (like Journey to the Center of the Earth), cool dining experience, dark ride and this area would be a massive hit.

mattpeto

I don't think that is necessarily true... The reason they re-skinned Alien Encounter was because people kept bringing their toddlers in, regardless of the warning... I would see Villains land the same... It will still be heavily attended and being Disney, it will not be very scary....Matter of fact, I think the Villain meet and Greets would be extremely popular.

You ever see parents avoid It’s Tough to be Bug? I do or it’s a one and done. It’s hard for scarier rides to appeal to the masses. Snow White Scary Adventures and Stitch/Alien are examples.

Now picture a whole land of it.

denyuntilcaught

Agreed. Villains =/= scary, at least in most circumstances.

That is the problem parents don't read the warnings and their little daring's get scared and these parents complain and Disney reacts. There goes a great attraction and we all suffer. My 6 year old went on AE scared him --he got over it and never did it once entered my mind to complain.

Last edited:

Rich Brownn

If it had opened at Disneyland first it probably would have been fine. But our Magic Kingdom has the "kiddie park" reputation so parents expected it to be kid friendly, even with the warnings

James Alucobond

A villain land doesn’t even need to be scary. First, don’t actually name it Villainland (please), and second, just make it a town villains might visit. Include a tavern like the Snuggly Duckling, shops for sorcerers’ staves and witches’ grimoires, etc. The whole “twisted version of Magic Kingdom” thing feels very much like Disney adult wish fulfillment (especially as a complete fifth gate) and really isn’t in keeping with the attitude of the rest of the resort.

Rosso11

I don't think that is necessarily true... The reason they re-skinned Alien Encounter was because people kept bringing their toddlers in, regardless of the warning...
This is true but I can actually expand upon it. In 2002 when it was decided to close Alien Encounter I had a conversation with Lee Cockerell, who ran WDW at the time, and questioned him about it. He explained that the main reason they came to the decision to close it was because of its unfortunate location. The majority of people enter MK walk down Main Street and turn right into Tomorrowland. Their first attraction they would encounter was Alien Encounter. Unfortunately the fear from that attraction set the stage for the remainder of many guests day. And as you said too many small children were going in and getting frightened on their first attraction. He said if it was simply in the back of Tomorrowland it would have been a non issue. Good chance it would still be there today and probably would be being converted into an Alien movie tie in which was what the original plan was.

DisneyDodo

If they build a Villianland at MK, I would expect the concept to be in line with MNSSHP, which I believe is quite popular amongst kids of all ages. IOW it will have a scary/spooky theme but not necessarily a scary vibe.

Not to say that there won’t be some kids who are scared. I’m sure there are some who won’t ride TLM because of Ursula, for example. But it would probably appeal to the majority of kids.

Last edited:

Splash4eva

I think they are saving their super heroes for a fifth gate (ie. Marvel + Incredibles & Big Hero Six). I think a "Heroes and Villains" park would be a great 5th gate. I think the villains talk at MK is a decoy for something else they have planned to gauge interest.
They could have anchored a 5th park with Star Wars alone and chose not to… and lets not even talk about how all 4 parks are still under built and need capacity …

Bocabear

There have always been scary things at Disney Parks and it was never an issue... Snow White's Scary Adventures was one...Haunted Mansion, even Mr. Toad's Hell ending... Being a little scared is part of the fun... Like Alien Encounter...
When did kids become such snowflakes that attractions have to be all sugary sweet and fluffy to exist in the park?
You can have more than one emotion in the course of a day and still have the best time of your life...then there is also the the whole "right of passage" thing with more adult attractions that become milestones for kids... The parks should always be a mix of experiences for different age groups... not everything aimed at the 3-6 year old set.

James Alucobond

There have always been scary things at Disney Parks and it was never an issue... Snow White's Scary Adventures was one...Haunted Mansion, even Mr. Toad's Hell ending... Being a little scared is part of the fun... Like Alien Encounter...
When did kids become such snowflakes that attractions have to be all sugary sweet and fluffy to exist in the park?
You can have more than one emotion in the course of a day and still have the best time of your life...then there is also the the whole "right of passage" thing with more adult attractions that become milestones for kids... The parks should always be a mix of experiences for different age groups... not everything aimed at the 3-6 year old set.
The attraction content and queues obviously don't need to hold back any more than they have in the past, but an entire land (and most especially an entire park) shouldn't be uninviting, unattractive, or foreboding, in my opinion. It's supposed to be transportive, not oppressive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom