‘We’re putting people who are visiting Disney in danger.’ Firefighters say they are short-handed at theme park

Lilofan

Odd how we never hear about it when they aren’t in negotiations. Guess “safety” only matters when a check book is involved.
Sadly safety also matters moving forward when someone loses a life ( ie 2 year old boy, fatal gator attack at the Grand Floridian beach ). Increased warning signage 🐊🐍 / by bodies of water, concrete walls built around Seven Seas Lagoon resorts, etc.

Goofyernmost

So you think that a department with around 130 first responders (not all of whom are assigned to firefighting or EMS, ie fire prevention and administrative tasks) split between three platoons (assuming that they are fully staffed for each tour) is sufficient for a 40 sq mile area with a population of hundreds of thousands, which has hundreds of high hazard and specialized life safety challenges is sufficient and they’re just playing cry baby….

How many FF were on that first due engine? I only counted 3. The bare minimum. They can do better.
That 40 sq. mile argument is grossly over estimated. Not very much of that is flammable. There's a lot of swamp, lakes and lagoons in that property and the majority of the areas that might need a quick response are all in the same sightline in the middle of that square footage. If it was 40 square miles fully occupied 24/7 with apartments and permanent residences like a city that size would have, then yes it is sorely understaffed. But, if they can spare that much equipment for a burning bush it almost seems like they are overstaffed. Perspective is the key word here. I'm sure that they have, like everyone else, staffing shortages but it is not a serious problem. It is, however, a good more pay justification if it is contract time.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
That 40 sq. mile argument is grossly over estimated. Not very much of that is flammable. There's a lot of swamp, lakes and lagoons in that property and the majority of the areas that might need a quick response are all in the same sightline in the middle of that square footage. If it was 40 square miles fully occupied 24/7 with apartments and permanent residences like a city that size would have, then yes it is sorely understaffed. But, if they can spare that much equipment for a burning bush it almost seems like they are overstaffed. Perspective is the key word here. I'm sure that they have, like everyone else, staffing shortages but it is not a serious problem. It is, however, a good more pay justification if it is contract time.
Reedy Creek Improvement District (AKA) Walt Disney World has a transient population of how many hundreds of thousands of people every day and evening? How many high rise buildings, low rise high density buildings, high life hazard locations, miles of highway, non-standard mass transit systems are located in those 40 square miles?

hosekiller

Had there been a fire in the castle as was initially reported, it could’ve been a disaster. If there’s a fire in any one of the many high or mid rises, it’s going to be a disaster. If the Skyliner has an issue, it’s going to be a disaster. I remember a car fire in one of the parking lots a few years ago, that was a disaster (although I’m not privy to the details outside of what I read). Sounds like they’re having issues running “routine” medical calls, and that’s a 1 engine/1 ambulance response at worst.

They’re extremely fortunate to have that many people on property without any major issues. Odds are that will change at some point, and you’ll see changes when it does.

Goofyernmost

More than a decade ago they were running 30K calls a year. I can only imagine what it is now. BTW how many high rise buildings and expansion have been added in the past decade at WDW?
It is common practice to do the just in case situation when it comes to dispatching equipment and people. Even in local cities, if someone had a fender-bender and calls 911 you will get designated first responders, fire equipment, EMS, police and many more rubberneckers usually preventing those people from getting to the scene. Once there the first responders will call a cancelation for those that are not needed. It still is recorded as an official call to all of them. The one thing that those systems always have is redundancy. 10 people are initially sent out when only two are needed.
Reedy Creek Improvement District (AKA) Walt Disney World has a transient population of how many hundreds of thousands of people every day and evening? How many high rise buildings, low rise high density buildings, high life hazard locations, miles of highway, non-standard mass transit systems are located in those 40 square miles?
I'm not sure what you are asking. A 40 square mile city would be more populated then that and would also have people going in and out of that area the didn't actually live within that area. WDW, like a business has transits, of course, but it also has paid staff stationed there at all hours that the area is transit filled. That means that most of the highly dangerous situations are few and far between because the hot areas as highly supervised. Nothing like an actual city where occupants are free to do dangerous things with no one watching or there to get ahead of a serious problem.

wutisgood

I don't seem to hear about staffing issues at universal. Everything seemed to be running smoothly on my recent trip.

Disney would have never make such a sprawling property if they got to create the whole resort again.

Goofyernmost

Had there been a fire in the castle as was initially reported, it could’ve been a disaster. If there’s a fire in any one of the many high or mid rises, it’s going to be a disaster. If the Skyliner has an issue, it’s going to be a disaster. I remember a car fire in one of the parking lots a few years ago, that was a disaster (although I’m not privy to the details outside of what I read). Sounds like they’re having issues running “routine” medical calls, and that’s a 1 engine/1 ambulance response at worst.

They’re extremely fortunate to have that many people on property without any major issues. Odds are that will change at some point, and you’ll see changes when it does.
For heavens sake, crossing they road can be a disaster. Every breath we take can be our last. We can expend tons of energy with glume and doomsday scenarios or we can do our best to anticipate what would be a normal situation and prepare for that. We have no way of knowing exactly what a disaster is going to look like.

hosekiller

It is common practice to do the just in case situation when it comes to dispatching equipment and people. Even in local cities, if someone had a fender-bender and calls 911 you will get designated first responders, fire equipment, EMS, police and many more rubberneckers usually preventing those people from getting to the scene. Once there the first responders will call a cancelation for those that are not needed. It still is recorded as an official call to all of them. The one thing that those systems always have is redundancy. 10 people are initially sent out when only two are needed.

I'm not sure what you are asking. A 40 square mile city would be more populated then that and would also have people going in and out of that area the didn't actually live within that area. WDW, like a business has transits, of course, but it also has paid staff stationed there at all hours that the area is transit filled. That means that most of the highly dangerous situations are few and far between because the hot areas as highly supervised. Nothing like an actual city where occupants are free to do dangerous things with no one watching or there to get ahead of a serious problem.
It comes down to do you want the job done right, or are you happy with mediocrity? I’m betting if you’re the one in need, you likely want things done correctly.

IMO, it’s sad that a company with the resources available to Disney can’t handle basic needs such as fire/emergency medical protection. And from my point of view, there are glaring deficiencies.

hosekiller

For heavens sake, crossing they road can be a disaster. Every breath we take can be our last. We can expend tons of energy with glume and doomsday scenarios or we can do our best to anticipate what would be a normal situation and prepare for that. We have no way of knowing exactly what a disaster is going to look like.
A cardiac arrest is a daily occurring event all over the world. And waiting that long for a “routine” event is inexcusable, especially when you’re talking about a real person.

monothingie

Premium Member
'm not sure what you are asking. A 40 square mile city would be more populated then that and would also have people going in and out of that area the didn't actually live within that area. WDW, like a business has transits, of course, but it also has paid staff stationed there at all hours that the area is transit filled. That means that most of the highly dangerous situations are few and far between because the hot areas as highly supervised. Nothing like an actual city where occupants are free to do dangerous things with no one watching or there to get ahead of a serious problem.
During all hours of the day, you can have a transient population of more than 300K within that 40 square mile area. This is being served by 4 Houses and maybe 30-40 First responders providing Fire and EMS services. In any other location in the world you would have a significantly more response capacity.
The majority of RCFD calls are EMS calls. You have no idea what you're talking about.

monothingie

Premium Member
Always plan for the worst.

Goofyernmost

It comes down to do you want the job done right, or are you happy with mediocrity? I’m betting if you’re the one in need, you likely want things done correctly.

IMO, it’s sad that a company with the resources available to Disney can’t handle basic needs such as fire/emergency medical protection. And from my point of view, there are glaring deficiencies.
I've seen no evidence that they are not doing the job right. If you base it on a union spokesman than that is not knowing exactly how things are run or how effective they are. In my opinion, that guy is fighting for his union members which is what he is supposed to do. We cannot and should not have any window into what the reality is as we sit here as armchair management without any real, hands on knowledge. I saw a parade of firefighters and equipment going to a grass fire. That is hardly mediocrity. The reports that have been hashed around (castle fire, etc.) in this thread have been nothing other than what they thought was going on. We have no idea of exactly what was communicated in actuality. The responders arrived in numbers much larger then needed for the situation. Again... Hardly mediocre.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
I don't seem to hear about staffing issues at universal.
They definitely have them - but because they don't have the degree of control over their property that Disney does (ie, being merely private land vs being a privately-owned quasi-government entity), they don't have the same level of responsibility as Disney.

ie- they can use Orlando and Orange County Firefighters and Paramedics, vs Disney who has their own.

Goofyernmost

During all hours of the day, you can have a transient population of more than 300K within that 40 square mile area. This is being served by 4 Houses and maybe 30-40 First responders providing Fire and EMS services. In any other location in the world you would have a significantly more response capacity.

The majority of RCFD calls are EMS calls. You have no idea what you're talking about.
And you do? That is exactly what I was saying. EMS calls are what would be the majority of what would be needed at WDW, however, I'll bet that even when only EMS is called there will be a firetruck or two either there first or right behind them. That is how they prepare for the worst. Every time someone breaks a finger nail or trips over a curb is not something to get headlines about. However no matter how many things are sent out you can only plan for a reasonable amount of need. A worst case scenario situation would require an EMS unit for every single person in the parks at any given time. At what point do we decide that we don't need that many there all the time. If you have 20 random injuries, heart attacks, etc. and that is how many EMS units would be reasonable to have staffed constantly. 20 perhaps? What if you never in the history had more then 20 calls at any one time and by some weird turn of events, the 21 person chokes on a hot dog. Are they then being mediocre?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom