Trip Report ‘Tis The Season For More Disney! *COMPLETED*

Fa la la la la
la la la LA

But let’s be honest.
Which season isn’t the season for more Disney?
In 2017 I have been fortunate to experience winter, spring and summer in the world.
And now the holidays!
Since December is such a festive time of year at the parks, I think two trips are in order....don’t you?

Trip #1
Cast:
Tuvalu and Em
When: December 1-4, 2017
Where: Port Orleans Riverside
Why: A Jingle BAM Birthday 2.0

A4132369-7260-4635-89F6-C4FB66018B71.jpeg

Join us as we attend our first MVMCP, wander around World Showcase like a couple of newbies, meet a forum friend and intentionally watch LOTS of fireworks....did we get to Illuminations this year?

You’ll have to wait and see.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Finding Chip’s wreath in Norway was easy-peasy.
A7421B39-2444-4A41-A097-EC660C97D233.jpeg

One more country to search!
CEDF5AD8-A765-4A4C-84B0-E132D9801E96.jpeg

Look who was out greeting guests!
86B70335-DB8B-4D5D-8DEE-9E037190F55B.jpeg

After scouring the lobby, Kidcot station, gift store and village marketplace without spotting the wreath, we took a serene boat ride with the Three Caballeros in order to bring our blood pressure down.

Then we started our second search.

It was Canada all over again!

“I think they made Canada and Mexico intentionally difficult,” Em complained. “Most people would begin the hunt in either of those countries without knowing what they are looking for.”

“Well we know it’s a wreath and we still can’t find it!” I added.

We were determined not to give up as we had two stickers left with a 50/50 chance of putting them in the wrong slots. We had to do this!

The minutes clicked by. If we were contestants on The Amazing Race we would have been fighting not to be eliminated.

Then a big smile swept across Em’s face.
This wreath was NOT near any merchandise for sale, @dryerlintfan.
AF6CDF41-F7A7-4441-BFC0-2B85D904DBF8.jpeg

Hard to spot, isn’t it?

We placed the Mexico ornament sticker in its slot. Then we did the unthinkable ~ placed the Canada ornament sticker down on the map even though we hadn’t found that wreath. And I promised Em that I would find it when I returned with Woody!
7CB94DAC-345B-4EC5-A342-3A232E49C07C.jpeg

We returned to the Redemption Center to claim our major award. Em had a choice of three button packs and this was her selection:
A6ACBAE7-128B-4C23-BC28-25E80A128D2C.jpeg

Em and I were spent. It was hot; we were tired of being on our feet. There was a treat I had been anticipating all day and it was time to go to Promenade Snacks and get it.

Frozen S’mores
B0A088E5-156E-49AB-BDF8-EBC89A4B3448.jpeg

What. A. Letdown.

It tasted like bad frozen yogurt with stale graham cracker crumbs mixed in. Thankfully we’d only purchased one to share because this is as far as we got before pitching it in the trash:
1DE34F26-AF7E-47D1-8006-40FE79C13DB6.jpeg

Note: Cup was much smaller than it appears

The best thing about taking this snack break was being able to sit down out of the sun for awhile.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
“Are you ready to walk again?” Em asked.
“Yup,” I replied.

We discussed the best way to get to the Studios with the fewest steps ~ through Future World to catch the bus, or through World Showcase to the International Gateway to catch the boat.

We did this.
64F8BC33-8CB5-4E4D-B0C8-3A1F04306099.jpeg

It was a pleasant ride. Security lines at DHS were short and we were inside the park in no time. (Shirley was disappointed the red carpet was not out for her.)

Em spied this adorable shirt.
77C2FD96-99FC-4F0C-B42F-4336FC9B5044.jpeg

We didn’t have a lot of time before our dinner ADR....so no rides....but we wanted to see the new old-timey Christmas decorations.

Through Em’s lens:
9B2F4B97-5574-4182-A6A6-9E9B88F26093.jpeg

1E996815-114F-489C-94A9-1803C99AF7D3.jpeg

36FD8A80-E4D3-48EA-A3C0-EA38D360C85C.jpeg

BF44645C-FC06-425F-A078-F968B73284A6.jpeg

AA2059DA-2601-49C7-A667-5E37B867BDC0.jpeg

0186AC03-223F-4607-BA42-81116651D019.jpeg

5FDAC0CF-CFA0-4C62-A82D-1BA1CE2FDF2F.jpeg

and my favorite
6184AF9B-9DA5-4CF5-91C0-9C73334AB236.jpeg

Sillysidewalker

“Yup,” I replied.

We discussed the best way to get to the Studios with the fewest steps ~ through Future World to catch the bus, or through World Showcase to the International Gateway to catch the boat.

We did this.
View attachment 257425

It was a pleasant ride. Security lines at DHS were short and we were inside the park in no time. (Shirley was disappointed the red carpet was not out for her.)

View attachment 257415

We didn’t have a lot of time before our dinner ADR....so no rides....but we wanted to see the new old-timey Christmas decorations.

Through Em’s lens:
View attachment 257416

View attachment 257417

View attachment 257418

View attachment 257419

View attachment 257420

View attachment 257421

View attachment 257422

and my favorite
View attachment 257423
Em’s pictures are gorgeous. Mine look like a bad Ad for Christmas decor. I have no eye. She has a gift.

krisri18

“Yup,” I replied.

We did this.
View attachment 257425

View attachment 257415

Through Em’s lens:
View attachment 257416

View attachment 257417

View attachment 257418

View attachment 257419

View attachment 257420

View attachment 257421

View attachment 257422

and my favorite
View attachment 257423
Love those Christmas pics Em! Gertie looks good !

Figgy1

Sunday, con’t

We’d made it halfway through the ornament hunt.
View attachment 257084

View attachment 257093

Before looking for those pesky chipmunks, I told Em I wanted to see the gingerbread US Capitol. We checked inside the Liberty Inn (not Liberty Tree Tavern, @LadyBelle 😉) because the restaurant had featured gingerbread displays in previous years. Nothing there, so we headed into the rotunda of The American Adventure.

Success!
View attachment 257091

View attachment 257089

View attachment 257090
What a labor of love! Such intricate (and tiny!) details! I think I may be more impressed by this display than I was by the GF gingerbread house. (Unlike the couple in the top left of the first picture who don’t even seem aware of the impressive creation next to them. :in pain:)

We did glance around for another wreath before making our way to the gift shop.....where I was immediately distracted by new “state-themed” merchandise.

View attachment 257085
I’m sorry but this shirt made me LOL. But you have to understand that I grew up with a dad who mercilessly mocked New Jersey (he was from Long Island) and teased my mom about being raised in the town with the State Penitentiary (to this day my mother insists the prison is in Woodbridge, NOT Rahway.)

Lest anyone think I am anti-Jersey, I have fond memories of summers with my grandparents, trips to the Jersey shore and fun with my cousins. (I was even a resident of the state as a toddler.)

This has been home for the last 30 years.
View attachment 257086
Look, it’s Chip and Dale! But holding a peach, not an ornament.

Nothing says the South like a Mason jar!
View attachment 257087

Ahh, there’s the wreath!
View attachment 257088
Your mom was right, small world I had a few relatives that lived there, and the people from the shore show were from NY!

93boomer

Premium Member
Finding Chip’s wreath in Norway was easy-peasy.
View attachment 257389

One more country to search!
View attachment 257396

Look who was out greeting guests!
View attachment 257392

After scouring the lobby, Kidcot station, gift store and village marketplace without spotting the wreath, we took a serene boat ride with the Three Caballeros in order to bring our blood pressure down.

Then we started our second search.

It was Canada all over again!

“I think they made Canada and Mexico intentionally difficult,” Em complained. “Most people would begin the hunt in either of those countries without knowing what they are looking for.”

“Well we know it’s a wreath and we still can’t find it!” I added.

We were determined not to give up as we had two stickers left with a 50/50 chance of putting them in the wrong slots. We had to do this!

The minutes clicked by. If we were contestants on The Amazing Race we would have been fighting not to be eliminated.

Then a big smile swept across Em’s face.
This wreath was NOT near any merchandise for sale, @dryerlintfan.
View attachment 257395
Hard to spot, isn’t it?

We placed the Mexico ornament sticker in its slot. Then we did the unthinkable ~ placed the Canada ornament sticker down on the map even though we hadn’t found that wreath. And I promised Em that I would find it when I returned with Woody!
View attachment 257390

We returned to the Redemption Center to claim our major award. Em had a choice of three button packs and this was her selection:
View attachment 257404

Em and I were spent. It was hot; we were tired of being on our feet. There was a treat I had been anticipating all day and it was time to go to Promenade Snacks and get it.

Frozen S’mores
View attachment 257391
What. A. Letdown.

It tasted like bad frozen yogurt with stale graham cracker crumbs mixed in. Thankfully we’d only purchased one to share because this is as far as we got before pitching it in the trash:
View attachment 257393
Note: Cup was much smaller than it appears

The best thing about taking this snack break was being able to sit down out of the sun for awhile.
Congrats on filling your card! I found them too but DH wasn’t much help.
That’s too bad about the frozen s’mores. I started to get one but didn’t.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
On our way to dinner we came upon this horror:
042955A8-6657-45DC-9562-75B75EA18A90.jpeg

Thankfully, I have seen recent pictures of the fountain back in operation (albeit a streamlined change from the original. :bored:)

We didn’t get the chance to dine in Em’s favorite PizzeRizzo this trip but she did request here ~
303C6B41-3480-44A1-8789-B2F50506DB78.jpeg

Mama Melrose was crazy busy! We did not have to wait too long to be seated, but we were led to the only unoccupied table in the restaurant.

We come to Mama’s primarily for two reasons.
This would be the first:
8E15C2B7-7D1E-40E3-9FA1-CD4E15123D0D.jpeg

Mama’s Margarita

The second would be the delectable char-grilled strip steak with four cheese mac & cheese.
Which was now OFF the menu!! :mad:
Fortunately I had learned of the change before our arrival and was prepared to have to select something else.

8513F6B1-7AB4-4F2E-A91D-AC4D1D1C2C44.jpeg

(There must have been a huge outcry over the change to the steak ~ as of today it is back on Mama’s menu!)

Em knew right away what she wanted and ordered. I was having a hard time deciding. Eons ago Mama’s had a wood-fired pepperoni flatbread with peppers and onions that I loved and was always my go-to choice. The current pepperoni flatbread contained sausage (yuck) and pancetta, no veggies.

I asked our server if I could get red peppers (listed on the menu in another dish) and onions (a restaurant staple, right?) added to the plain Margherita flatbread.

Flummoxed, she said, “I’ll have to check. I’m not sure we have onions. And you know there will be an additional charge?”
“That’s fine,” I replied.

She brought our bread when she returned from the kitchen. Apparently it was a big deal to add onion, cause the chef would have to slice it, blah blah blah. She spoke very condescendingly. I was about to say, “just red peppers then” when she hastily turned and walked away.

EAA881BE-B485-4EBB-920A-AA1BF924EB70.jpeg

We have requested butter for the rolls in the past, but skipped it as we did not want more “attitude.”

Em was satisfied with her spaghetti and meatballs. It was big enough to share.
E75EE73F-991F-45B2-810C-66FA71EE4304.jpeg

I guess the chef was willing to be inconvenienced after all.
37F32DA9-270A-4F5E-BAF6-234D0C43D739.jpeg

The flatbread was delicious.
Too bad it was such a hassle to get it.
But it was definitely worth the whopping $1 surcharge. :joyfull:

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Seeing the holiday decorations in the dark was a delight!

6523611A-460F-4A62-96BF-CAEF9DA64765.jpeg

5F001478-6735-4554-9FA9-D230F612A357.jpeg

Oh, Gertie!
C76518A7-5D31-43FE-B04B-6DEB96553395.jpeg

On our way to Sunset Blvd. we encountered these menacing dudes.
18761B4F-7407-4F5E-A5B7-78F8DEDF8511.jpeg

You gotta be quick with your camera cause Stormtroopers don’t stop!

It has now been two years since the Weeping Wandas said farewell to their beloved Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights. Jingle Bell Jingle Bam is a cute projection show, but not even in the same league as Osborne. And frankly, without the fireworks JBJB would just be another (meh) projection show.

So we didn’t have high hopes for the new Tower of Terror projection show.
B2B55CAB-2EEE-4442-8DEF-1D8694D8B1DD.jpeg

Our first issue? SNOAP! So much snoap. You can see it falling in the pic above. It was relentless. And not enjoyable in the least.

We never made it further than this.
F0E6434D-22EA-43B6-975B-04AFDD323994.jpeg

Wall-to-wall people. And a hard-to-follow storyline (was there a storyline?)

We could not wait to leave.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Em suggested watching Jingle Bell Jingle Bam in front of the lake. We wouldn’t have a good view of the projections, but we would be away from the crowds.

It was an excellent location for fireworks lovers.

9F45ED92-57A4-496D-86B0-51E5AD6C8CF5.jpeg

D6981ECD-3612-4581-B058-7F6390BD0C94.jpeg

EC8AFA55-94F0-43C3-94A3-1EF198B068ED.jpeg

45039709-3D90-469A-9B27-C11E0677194E.jpeg

29089910-1FE0-4056-838F-4ACC86C35AC0.jpeg

The show was over in plenty of time for us to head to Epcot for Illuminations. If you remember my TR about Em’s birthday weekend last year, JBJB followed by Holiday Illuminations was our plan....but exhaustion overruled it. While in theory park hopping is easy, leaving Epcot at closing time with thousands of your closest friends....and a lengthy walk to the buses....where there is more waiting....and the high probability of not getting a seat....well, sometimes the effort required is just not worth it.

Especially when you’re tired.

Em wasn’t tired.

By my expression it looks like I am up for Illuminations too.
B9FCE93C-B7A4-4D9F-9AD8-2B31E34CC22B.jpeg

Only I wasn’t.

Being awakened at an insanely early hour and walking over 23,000 steps had taken its toll. My mind wanted to go to Epcot but my body was saying “nope”. I didn’t want to disappoint Em....but if I did, she never let on. She thought returning to POR was the better idea.

The bus arrived shortly and we got seats (phew!) but there were many folks still waiting to board. The bus driver loudly announced: “We drivers have a credo. If you can see the floor, there’s room for more!” (Could it be we had @Lyssa ‘s bus driver??!) (When he used the word “credo” all I could think of was Chevy Chase in his underwear in Vacation.)

Soon we were back in the room and ready for bed. It had been another fun-filled Disney day!

Last edited:

Songbird76

On our way to dinner we came upon this horror:
View attachment 257520
Thankfully, I have seen recent pictures of the fountain back in operation (albeit a streamlined change from the original. :bored:)

We didn’t get the chance to dine in Em’s favorite PizzeRizzo this trip but she did request here ~
View attachment 257521

Mama Melrose was crazy busy! We did not have to wait too long to be seated, but we were led to the only unoccupied table in the restaurant.

We come to Mama’s primarily for two reasons.
This would be the first:
View attachment 257523
Mama’s Margarita

The second would be the delectable char-grilled strip steak with four cheese mac & cheese.
Which was now OFF the menu!! :mad:
Fortunately I had learned of the change before our arrival and was prepared to have to select something else.

View attachment 257522

(There must have been a huge outcry over the change to the steak ~ as of today it is back on Mama’s menu!)

Em knew right away what she wanted and ordered. I was having a hard time deciding. Eons ago Mama’s had a wood-fired pepperoni flatbread with peppers and onions that I loved and was always my go-to choice. The current pepperoni flatbread contained sausage (yuck) and pancetta, no veggies.

I asked our server if I could get red peppers (listed on the menu in another dish) and onions (a restaurant staple, right?) added to the plain Margherita flatbread.

Flummoxed, she said, “I’ll have to check. I’m not sure we have onions. And you know there will be an additional charge?”
“That’s fine,” I replied.

She brought our bread when she returned from the kitchen. Apparently it was a big deal to add onion, cause the chef would have to slice it, blah blah blah. She spoke very condescendingly. I was about to say, “just red peppers then” when she hastily turned and walked away.

View attachment 257524
We have requested butter for the rolls in the past, but skipped it as we did not want more “attitude.”

Em was satisfied with her spaghetti and meatballs. It was big enough to share.
View attachment 257525

I guess the chef was willing to be inconvenienced after all.
View attachment 257526
The flatbread was delicious.
Too bad it was such a hassle to get it.
But it was definitely worth the whopping $1 surcharge. :joyfull:
But...cut an ONION? How could you expect a chef to cut a WHOLE ONION!! My goodness, it's so much work!:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom