News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

DreamfinderGuy

I agree. If you think shooting shells is the point you've never played it. Shells are fun; they're not even close to the point -- and the whole reason they're fun is because you're racing.

And yes, I've played Mario Kart all the way back to the original on SNES and I've also played the newest one on Switch, although the vast majority of time with Mario Kart was on Mario Kart 64.
The items are what makes Mario Kart, well, Mario Kart. It’s what differentiates it from other racers. If you’re looking for a traditional racing game, you definitely don’t go for MK.

Anyways, somewhat back to the topic at hand, a fast paced coaster type ride would not be a good fit for the IP since it’s heart lies with interactivity. Unless you can balance the two, which seems implausible given several constraints, I think Universal did it great.

UNCgolf

The items are what makes Mario Kart, well, Mario Kart. It’s what differentiates it from other racers. If you’re looking for a traditional racing game, you definitely don’t go for MK.

Anyways, somewhat back to the topic at hand, a fast paced coaster type ride would not be a good fit for the IP since it’s heart lies with interactivity. Unless you can balance the two, which seems implausible given several constraints, I think Universal did it great.

Of course they are, but they're not the whole point. The items divorced from the racing aspect are essentially nothing. It's not really Mario Kart if it's functionally just a shooting game.

We can agree to disagree, of course, but I think it looks awful even though the land itself looks great.

brettf22

Premium Member
Hard to decide whether to post this in this thread or the Tron thread. At least some of Tron's exterior is uniquely themed, so ... here ya go.

EDIT: My favorite follow up to this tweet

BE0695C7-4AAC-4536-A2AC-B72B1C61AC6B.jpeg

Last edited:

tommyhawkins

Half of his argument is about the world as a whole, not about the the Mario Kart ride. The overall world looks excellent.

However, the ride is really not a good fit for Mario Kart as an IP. Mario Kart is a racing game, not a shooting game. Even if the AR is great, it's still focused on a secondary part of the game that doesn't really work without the actual racing aspect. Shooting shells is not the point of Mario Kart.

I'm also not sure why interactivity is automatically supposed to be good and better than any other options -- most interactive rides are pretty bad, because they end up feeling like a much worse version of something you could do at home.
He goes into specific detail about how its either interactivity or speed at about tweet 8 which is pointless me repeating but essentially when you have limitations of space, which is what they have in Japan, definitely have in Hollywood, and to a certain extent Epic universe too, you have to make a judgement call and make comprimises. It wouldnt be the first ride that needed to be toned down from the first iteration.
I feel the most critical people of this ride and many others, dont have any sense of what is realistic. Demographics is one huge factor. These grown- adults who complain about how "it's not fast" seem to forget they were little kids when they started and perhaps maybe the ride needs to be accessible to new generations of younger kids who can grow up to complain on the internet about how their favourite parks arent what they used to.
You also have the situation where perhaps they decide, money is not object about how much space a ride takes up. but then they build a huge box to put the ride in so it covers sufficient ground to meet a ride creators criteria. and people moan about that too!

Casper Gutman

He goes into specific detail about how its either interactivity or speed at about tweet 8 which is pointless me repeating but essentially when you have limitations of space, which is what they have in Japan, definitely have in Hollywood, and to a certain extent Epic universe too, you have to make a judgement call and make comprimises. It wouldnt be the first ride that needed to be toned down from the first iteration.
I feel the most critical people of this ride and many others, dont have any sense of what is realistic. Demographics is one huge factor. These grown-*** adults who complain about how "it's not fast" seem to forget they were little kids when they started and perhaps maybe the ride needs to be accessible to new generations of younger kids who can grow up to complain on the internet about how their favourite parks arent what they used to.
You also have the situation where perhaps they decide, money is not object about how much space a ride takes up. but then they build a huge box to put the ride in so it covers sufficient ground to meet a ride creators criteria. and people moan about that too!
I hate interactivity in rides. I feel that rides, as a medium, are far more akin to films then video games, and trying to force meaningful interactive elements into a ride will almost inevitably lessen the experience.

But…

I agree with what he’s saying, not because of interactivity, but because of length and theming. As he points out, a fast ride will almost certainly feature less theming and, unless it occupies so much space that it becomes economically impracticable, will certainly be relatively short. This is the problem Uni is really wrestling with, and they haven’t cracked it yet. Honestly, the best solution is one he touches on briefly, a combo, a sort of Test Trek with much better theming and a finale that doesn’t feature the exec parking lot. The speed-length-theming problem is one that will require an entirely new ride system I certainly don’t have the imagination to envision. Does this mean speed properties should be avoided for the time being? Perhaps. Mario cart could just as well have been a more general Mario ride. But it’s hard to fault Uni too much for genuinely trying, when some of their key franchises are speed-centered.

UNCgolf

I feel the most critical people of this ride and many others, dont have any sense of what is realistic. Demographics is one huge factor. These grown-*** adults who complain about how "it's not fast" seem to forget they were little kids when they started and perhaps maybe the ride needs to be accessible to new generations of younger kids who can grow up to complain on the internet about how their favourite parks arent what they used to.

I know, which is why I brought up that interactivity wasn't the best choice to me, especially the way they incorporated it. Shooting at things in AR sounds like a waste of time and a misunderstanding of why people like Mario Kart. And it's not like I'm arguing that it needed to be a coaster -- I think a coaster would have been a mistake too -- but a slow moving attraction based on a racing game is simply incongruous.

It's not like he's objectively correct. I mostly disagree with him and think the ride was a mistake and a failure for the Mario Kart IP. There's nothing wrong with thinking differently.

UNCgolf

I hate interactivity in rides. I feel that rides, as a medium, are far more akin to films then video games, and trying to force meaningful interactive elements into a ride will almost inevitably lessen the experience.

But…

I agree with what he’s saying, not because of interactivity, but because of length and theming. As he points out, a fast ride will almost certainly feature less theming and, unless it occupies so much space that it becomes economically impracticable, will certainly be relatively short. This is the problem Uni is really wrestling with, and they haven’t cracked it yet. Honestly, the best solution is one he touches on briefly, a combo, a sort of Test Trek with much better theming and a finale that doesn’t feature the exec parking lot. The speed-length-theming problem is one that will require an entirely new ride system I certainly don’t have the imagination to envision. Does this mean speed properties should be avoided for the time being? Perhaps. Mario cart could just as well have been a more general Mario ride. But it’s hard to fault Uni too much for genuinely trying, when some of their key franchises are speed-centered.

I'm with you on ride interactivity.

As for the second part -- I think there's a disconnect there. A ride can have fast portions without being a coaster or lacking theming. As I said above, I think building a coaster for Mario Kart would have been a mistake, but I think this ride is also a mistake.

They probably shouldn't have built a Mario Kart ride at all with the limitations they were facing. There were plenty of other Nintendo IPs available. I think it's disingenuous to suggest that the ride is great simply because they designed it around limitations when they had other options that would have been better suited for those limitations.

I'm not sure Mario Kart is a great IP for a ride in general, but the best version I can think of would be something more like the Speedway, but with the ability to collect items/shoot at other vehicles on the track -- potentially with AR similar to what this ride uses. When another vehicle is hit, they could spin in place and stop for a second or two before continuing down the track.

However, I don't think there'd be any way to build that version of the ride without a very low capacity.

Last edited:

J4546

they should have used the same ride system as Duel GP in Suzuka Theme Park. It would have been perfect. front seat drives the car, backseat is in charge of weapons.....would have been an amazing ride. I still think the should use this ride system for an updated "tron-like" autopia in MK...if they ever update it.

UNCgolf

they should have used the same ride system as Duel GP in Suzuka Theme Park. It would have been perfect. front seat drives the car, backseat is in charge of weapons.....would have been an amazing ride. I still think the should use this ride system for an updated "tron-like" autopia in MK...if they ever update it.

That sounds very similar to what I suggested above -- I just don't know if there's a way to build a ride like that with sufficient capacity to go in a major theme park.

tommyhawkins

That sounds very similar to what I suggested above -- I just don't know if there's a way to build a ride like that with sufficient capacity to go in a major theme park.
Im not a huge fan of interactivity and Buzz and MIB are really all i can cope with, whereas I feel Smugglers rung was designed to just irritate me. That said, if theyre going to build a ride off a video game, it makes sense that it should do some interactive things especially when thats half the game for MK. Clearly Dynamic Attractions pitched them their false floor coaster but it just didnt work in the space they had (a 300 x 200ft Box) . I would love to this utilised as a SW Speed Racer ride by Disney, but thats a conversation for another thread

Last edited by a moderator:

Surferboy567

Zach Riddley just announced Rocket & Groot to be apart of the fab 50th character collection and in his announcement on Instagram he stated the following:

“We are deep in the final stages of preparing our first other World Showcase pavilion at EPCOT with our Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind Attraction!”

Say what you will about this attraction, but this is extremely exciting news. Looking forward to checking it out when it opens.

EPCOT’s 40th seems like a good guess.

EDIT: This could mean nothing but it’s still exciting.

James Alucobond

Zach Riddley just announced Rocket & Groot to be apart of the fab 50th character collection and in his announcement on Instagram he stated the following:

“We are deep in the final stages of preparing our first other World Showcase pavilion at EPCOT with our Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind Attraction!”

Say what you will about this attraction, but this is extremely exciting news. Looking forward to checking it out when it opens.

The exterior has been making rapid progress of late, and the interior looked very far along last time we saw a photo of it. The problem is definitely the media, which remains unfilmed. We also haven’t seen an update on the various elements that will fill the former pavilion main building. Even if it doesn’t open soon, I do hope they opt to push the walls around it back quite a bit once they’re done with the entrance, but just glad concrete is rapidly replacing the mudpit and improving monorail views ever so slightly.

Haymarket2008

I would be shocked if this isn't open by Summer 2022.

UNCgolf

Huh?

Is this what he said or did you just mistype?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom