News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Cesar R M

So.. several sites have been very vague about the opening, some even indirectly implying guardians would open for the 50th. Is there a fixed date yet?

celluloid

Big Thunder Mountain and Radiator Spring Racers would like a word with you.

The poster did say "almost" always and in terms of recent decades and I don't know if under 40mph(most of which the ride does not even hit) qualifies fast that much in the big picture of theme park thrills, Disney or not anymore.

tommyhawkins

I would not underestimate their ability to delay. It may happen, but 6 months seems on the optimistic end of things, in my opinion. That’s more the timing I expect for Tron, with Cosmic Rewind staggered after that, but who knows.
The pull through for Guardians was done by at least november 2020, theyre not even a third of the way through the pull through for tron as of today and they havent even started installing the ETFE panels yet or finished pouring the concrete forms for the entry way. youre not getting that ride for another year
Guardians I would not be surprised if they were not already able to cycle the trains to get this signed off so all they need to do is Energy building and Show footage/ sync tweaking. I stand by predicting you getting CR by May/June earliest and Tron by Fall earliest next year .
Remember theyre only just opening the Rat now when it should have been opened summer 2020 and has been standing but not operating for 6 months or more.. they dont care when they know they got every international guest on the hook for at least 12 months when were finally allowed back and not very much in the pipeline to succeed these two rides

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The pull through for Guardians was done by at least november 2020, theyre not even a third of the way through the pull through for tron as of today and they havent even started installing the ETFE panels yet or finished pouring the concrete forms for the entry way. youre not getting that ride for another year
Guardians I would not be surprised if they were not already able to cycle the trains to get this signed off so all they need to do is Energy building and Show footage/ sync tweaking. I stand by predicting you getting CR by May/June earliest and Tron by Fall earliest next year .
Remember theyre only just opening the Rat now when it should have been opened summer 2020 and has been standing but not operating for 6 months or more.. they dont care when they know they got every international guest on the hook for at least 12 months when were finally allowed back and not very much in the pipeline to succeed these two rides

Are you sure about TRON not opening until Fall of 2022, because...

I can comfortably say this will open by Spring Break 2022. They could do earlier if they want but I’m not privy to exact funding changes—only that money has been made available during this fiscal year once again for interior work. I presume guests in the park will see work very soon. I’ll be in-park Friday if no one sees anything before then.

J4546

screenshot from recent video of area shows lots of concrte work is done. Looks like the area is really coming together quickly and perhaps we will be seeing the xandarian space ship soon....

Attachments

• gotg.jpg
    gotg.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 199

tommyhawkins

Are you sure about TRON not opening until Fall of 2022, because...

They don't structure their contracts in a way that allows overtime, Capex funding was released to restart the project at the pace it would normally run at. UOR got like 3 shifts working on VC to get that ready to the point it was ahead of schedule. Be honest now, does this look like a ride that will open in 178 days like the OP stated?

WDWYankee15

Well I hope they announce soon when the ride is expected to open as it will impact my 2022 Summer plans.
I am not sure they will announce anything with the pandemic picking back up. This means international guest no time soon and even domestic tourism still taking a hit. Also staffing is still an issue. The 50th itself will drive visitation up. I think they like having the construction as built in advertising for those visiting for the 50th to give reason to come back. They are building in their "recovery" for the parks when the thrill of the 50th goes away and then they don't have other projects in the pipeline. I would not base any vacation plans on when something "will open." Too many variables and most of them have nothing to do with construction time.

Also, lets not forget how long it took them to get Test Track running. GotG CR will have to ensure timing and effects, in a new ride system for them. This could lead to tuning and operation issues. Think about the issues they still have at DHS with RotR. It has taken them two years to get that ride running with any consistency. They had no choice but to open that, because of the hype. Now they have had to live with the operational repercussions of that. I don't think they will rush to do that again with GotG CR or Tron. In their world, time is on their side.

Get your APs today! :p

pdude81

I am not sure they will announce anything with the pandemic picking back up. This means international guest no time soon and even domestic tourism still taking a hit. Also staffing is still an issue. The 50th itself will drive visitation up. I think they like having the construction as built in advertising for those visiting for the 50th to give reason to come back. They are building in their "recovery" for the parks when the thrill of the 50th goes away and then they don't have other projects in the pipeline. I would not base any vacation plans on when something "will open." Too many variables and most of them have nothing to do with construction time.

Also, lets not forget how long it took them to get Test Track running. GotG CR will have to ensure timing and effects, in a new ride system for them. This could lead to tuning and operation issues. Think about the issues they still have at DHS with RotR. It has taken them two years to get that ride running with any consistency. They had no choice but to open that, because of the hype. Now they have had to live with the operational repercussions of that. I don't think they will rush to do that again with GotG CR or Tron. In their world, time is on their side.

Get your APs today! :p
Right? Hey guys, you thought you wanted to wait til October to visit for the 50th celebration...? Why don't you wait until next May instead!

tommyhawkins

Right? Hey guys, you thought you wanted to wait til October to visit for the 50th celebration...? Why don't you wait until next May instead!
Disney laughing all the way to the bank on this, they budgetted and were building Rat, Tron, Rewind to be ready before 50th to bring crowds.....crowds are coming for the next 18 months anyway, theyve saved about 18 months worth of Capex spending.

No Name

Disney laughing all the way to the bank on this, they budgetted and were building Rat, Tron, Rewind to be ready before 50th to bring crowds.....crowds are coming for the next 18 months anyway, theyve saved about 18 months worth of Capex spending.
They’re laughing all the way to the bank with their entire $2 million operating income?

tommyhawkins

They’re laughing all the way to the bank with their entire $2 million operating income?
Haha youre taking a snapshot of part of a FY to make a point, completely ignoring the revenue streams for this year or the fact the new FY starts on October 1st, in case it has escaped your attention, all three projects were started are budgetted for in previous FYs and span multiple years , Tron began work 1300 days ago for example.
So yes they are laughing all the way to the bank, because they wont have to spend much money paying people to design new rides, nor will they have large amounts to spend on rides that are well into construction or that sat SBNO for six months. They can continue to drip feed opening these rides and avoiding any major outlays to start new major projects for the next FY. Do you think they fired a 1/3 of WDI and let highly paid Imagineers "retire" out to Major Space Launch providers because they were down to their last pennies in the DPEP bank account?

No Name

Haha youre taking a snapshot of part of a FY to make a point, completely ignoring the revenue streams for this year or the fact the new FY starts on October 1st, in case it has escaped your attention, all three projects were started are budgetted for in previous FYs and span multiple years , Tron began work 1300 days ago for example.
So yes they are laughing all the way to the bank, because they wont have to spend much money paying people to design new rides, nor will they have large amounts to spend on rides that are well into construction or that sat SBNO for six months. They can continue to drip feed opening these rides and avoiding any major outlays to start new major projects for the next FY. Do you think they fired a 1/3 of WDI and let highly paid Imagineers "retire" out to Major Space Launch providers because they were down to their last pennies in the DPEP bank account?
They could get rid of imagineering and not do a thing for the next 10 years, and they still wouldn’t save as much as they lost over the past 18 months. There is no spin to this where it benefits them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom