News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Indy_UK

I think we are a way off the ride opening but I can see them trying to get the entrance all paved and nice before October 1st to get rid of some of the walls all around that area

Surferboy567

Finishing something means you might have to start something else.
I constantly think about this. We have had some kind of new additions open pretty constantly over the last few years. Once Guardians, TRON, Starcruiser and Harm opens that is it. Since their is no active construction projects beyond that.

I guess we have destination and D23 coming up though.

EPCOT-O.G.

I constantly think about this. We have had some kind of new additions open pretty constantly over the last few years. Once Guardians, TRON, Starcruiser and Harm opens that is it. Since their is no active construction projects beyond that.

Yep. But they’ve all but shuttled Mary Poppins and Spaceship Earth refurbs. But nothing new on the horizon. That’s troubling. Especially since you figure a huge chunk of the budget will be going to Splash remakes which will not improve capacity one iota and likely won’t be much of an attendance boost.

EPCOT-O.G.

I keep wondering - do they have anything in the chamber to offset what’s going to be the wildly popular Super Nintendo World at Epic Universe.

Surferboy567

I keep wondering - do they have anything in the chamber to offset what’s going to be the wildly popular Super Nintendo World at Epic Universe.
Super Nintendo World’s sad excuse for a Mario Kart ride was so disappointing (granted I haven’t done it in person). It’s still kinda cool but what a disappointment.
Yep. But they’ve all but shuttled Mary Poppins and Spaceship Earth refurbs. But nothing new on the horizon. That’s troubling. Especially since you figure a huge chunk of the budget will be going to Splash remakes which will not improve capacity one iota and likely won’t be much of an attendance boost.
I forgot about Spaceship Earth (that is probably going to still happen). I agree with every other point though.

M:SpilotISTC12

All of that stuff will be finished in like 2024-25 with the pace they are going. I'm sure more stuff will be announced and Genie+ will have at least 4 price hikes by the time everything is done.

Casper Gutman

Super Nintendo World’s sad excuse for a Mario Kart ride was so disappointing (granted I haven’t done it in person). It’s still kinda cool but what a disappointment.

I forgot about Spaceship Earth (that is probably going to still happen). I agree with every other point though.
Of all the rides in the world, Mario Cart seems like the one you most need to judge in person, since there is absolutely no way to capture the experience for youtube.

Surferboy567

Of all the rides in the world, Mario Cart seems like the one you most need to judge in person, since there is absolutely no way to capture the experience for youtube.
I have to agree with you there. That is why I noted that in my pervious post, the AR could be incredible. Don’t get me wrong, the sets are cool. It’s just the entire idea of making a MARIO KART ride the world’s slowest dark ride is a flawed idea in of itself. The queue and atmosphere is super cool. I love the idea of Super Nintendo World, it’s just the execution that could of been better. Excited to see what they do for DK.

…but then again that’s a story for a different thread.

UNCgolf

It tells me they know exactly what theyre doing, and working within the space constraints they have

Half of his argument is about the world as a whole, not about the the Mario Kart ride. The overall world looks excellent.

However, the ride is really not a good fit for Mario Kart as an IP. Mario Kart is a racing game, not a shooting game. Even if the AR is great, it's still focused on a secondary part of the game that doesn't really work without the actual racing aspect. Shooting shells is not the point of Mario Kart.

I'm also not sure why interactivity is automatically supposed to be good and better than any other options -- most interactive rides are pretty bad, because they end up feeling like a much worse version of something you could do at home.

lazyboy97o

It tells me they know exactly what theyre doing, and working within the space constraints they have

I can’t read the whole Twitter thread but I’ve seen Dave’s similar comments elsewhere. Universal has now built three attractions that are slow that mimic high speed. His testing of target shooting in The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man sort of ignores that since then a motion base ride vehicle has been used in a shooting ride with Justice League: Battle for Metropolis.

UNCgolf

Tell me you've never played Mario Kart without telling me you've never played Mario Kart...

I agree. If you think shooting shells is the point you've never played it. Shells are fun; they're not even close to the point -- and the whole reason they're fun is because you're racing.

And yes, I've played Mario Kart all the way back to the original on SNES and I've also played the newest one on Switch, although the vast majority of my time with Mario Kart was on Mario Kart 64.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

Tell me you've never played Mario Kart without telling me you've never played Mario Kart...

I play Mario Kart.

Using items and shooting shells is an important part of the game, although you can turn it off, but it is ultimately about speed and racing. I would 100% argue that racing is first and foremost the point, followed by collecting items to help you win the race.

UNCgolf

I play Mario Kart.

Using items and shooting shells is an important part of the game, although you can turn it off, but it is ultimately about speed and racing. I would 100% argue that racing is first and foremost the point, followed by collecting items to help you win the race.

Exactly.

The shells only have meaning because they help you win the race (or stop someone else from winning). Unless you're in Battle Mode, but that's not really what most people are thinking of when they think of Mario Kart.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom