Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickp1983

Are you vaccinated?? Then don't worry about those who choose not to be. I guess that's the lesson to learn from some.
Call me crazy but during the pandemic. We had a significant percent of people really enjoying telling people what to do. Wear your mask. Socially distance. You're going to kill grandma! Follow the science.

They are not simply going to stop. We are now getting to a point where people are finding the smallest examples and using them as fuel to tell people what to do.

- you don't have to wear a mask if vaccinated
BUT WHAT ABOUT PEOPLE WHO ARENT VACCINATED!!
-
again. If you're vaccinated
BUT PEOPLE LIE!!!
- if you're vaccinated, you shouldn't have to worry
BUT WONT SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!
-
non vaccinated kids should be wearing masks
BUT I WONT GO MASKLESS WHEN MY CHILD STILL HAS TO WEAR ONE
-
then don't. You can still wear a mask
BUT WHAT ABOUT IMMUNE COMPROMISED ADULTS!!!
- well they should have been vaccinated already
BUT WHAT ABOUT IMMUNE COMPROMISED PEOPLE WITH NO DRIVERS LICENSE!!! THEY COULDN'T GET THERE
- uber. Ask a family member. Taxi. They could have found a way
BUT WHAT ABOUT IMMUNE COMPROMISED PEOPLE WHO DONT HAVE DRIVERS LICENSE OR NO CELL PHONE WITH NO FAMILY AND WHO LIVE ON A FIXED INCOME !!!!

this is how its going to be for the next year.

And wait until the booster shot drama starts.

Last edited:

Archie123

Call me crazy but during the pandemic. We had a significant percent of people really enjoying telling people what to do. Wear your mask. Socially distance. You're going to kill grandma! Follow the science.

They are not simply going to stop. We are now getting to a point where people are finding the smallest examples and using them as fuel to tell people what to do.

- you don't have to wear a mask if vaccinated
BUT WHAT ABOUT PEOPLE WHO ARENT VACCINATED!!
-
again. If you're vaccinated
BUT PEOPLE LIE!!!
- if you're vaccinated, you shouldn't have to worry
BUT WONT SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!
-
non vaccinated kids should be wearing masks
BUT I WONT GO MASKLESS WHEN MY CHILD STILL HAS TO WEAR ONE
-
then don't. You can still wear a mask
BUT WHAT ABOUT IMMUNE COMPROMISED ADULTS!!!
- well they should have been vaccinated already
BUG WHAT ABOUT IMMUNE COMPROMISED PEOPLE WITH NO DRIVERS LICENSE!!! THEY COULDN'T GET THERE
- uber. Ask a family member. Taxi. They could have found a way
BUT WHAT ABOUT IMMUNE COMPROMISED PEOPLE WHO DONT HAVE DRIVERS LICENSE OR NO CELL PHONE WITH NO FAMILY AND WHO LIVE ON A FIXED INCOME !!!!

this is how its going to be fort the next year.

Lol. Ok. Also hate to slow your rant but this was about caring and being concerned for those who choose to not get vaccinated. Some do care...and some don't.

You may now continue to rant as I was enjoying it. ;)

The Mom

Premium Member
For those who think I’m an atypical New Yorker, behold:

In my neighborhood, I definitely saw more masked than unmasked. Makes me feel like this will be an easier transition than I’d expected.
NYC was hit harder, ie more cases and deaths in a short period of time, than any other area of the country, So they have a very different viewpoint than someone from an area where there were few cases. Most people in the NYC area lost friends, relatives, or just people they had interactions with. They all most likely knew dozens of people who were very sick or hospitalized.

I personally know of a handful of people who were sick (but not hospitalized) and cannot think of anyone I know who died. I certainly did not see refrigerated trucks holding bodies parked outside of hospitals and funeral homes. My experience is very different than my daughter and son-in-law, for example, who live in NYC and are still suffering some long term effects from Covid - my son-in-law still does not have his "normal" sense of smell and taste. That sort of experience will stay with people forever, and will 100% make them look at Covid in a different light.

To ridicule people because they have a different POV based on personal experience is cruel.

Nickp1983

Lol. Ok. Also hate to slow your rant but this was about caring and being concerned for those who choose to not get vaccinated. Some do care...and some don't.

You may now continue to rant as I was enjoying it. ;)

I dont think anyone cares as much as they are claiming. It's a combo of trying to look like a "hero" and hiding behind others because they are scared.

I prefer not to be Billy Zane at the end of Titanic.
We'll see if anyone gets that analogy

Archie123

I dont think anyone cares as much as they are claiming. It's a combo of trying to look like a "hero" and hiding behind others because they are scared.

I prefer not to be Billy Zane at the end of Titanic.
We'll see if anyone gets that analogy

Well I am glad you can speak/think for everyone. :rolleyes:

And the only thing memorable about Billy Zane in Titanic was the horrible wig he was wearing.

beertiki

The vax honor system is brilliant. If you got the vax, it's up to you if you still want to wear a mask. Now, the red hat anti vaxer has a very serious dilemma. Lie and say they were vaxed, and then they don't have to wear a mask? Nope. Being anti vax, pro freedom is their identity. Telling that lie hurts them deep inside.

They don't want to wear the mask, but getting them to say out loud that they got the shot, that's like saying "bahhhh I am a sheep".

Nickp1983

Well I am glad you can speak/think for everyone. :rolleyes:

And the only thing memorable about Billy Zane in Titanic was the horrible wig he was wearing.
It's just my opinion. I think there's a better chance people are scared they may be a breakthrough case then really being concerned about a very small percentage of people. It's human nature. We have fears and many times we don't want to face them. No judgment. I get it. I hate flying and will come up with every excuse to drive. Even if it's a 28 hour road trip.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The CDC's guidelines say that vaccinated people can go without masks both indoors and outdoors. They put no burden on the vaccinated to check the status of those around them, nor do they suggest that the vaccinated assume others are unvaccinated and will lie.

In my opinion, the health experts at the CDC know more about the risks to children under 12, the immunocompromised, the rate at which COVID is spreading and other relevant factors than the people posting here. Yet the CDC issued the guidance they did, and I think it's presumptuous for posters to fault or label as uncaring those who elect to follow that guidance.
I agree with this. I think that’s why the CDC did not change guidance for the kids under 12. Unvaccinated people, including kids, are supposed to remain masked so they don’t infect others or become sick themselves. That’s why masks in school are still needed. The burden is on the individual to mask up if they are unvaccinated.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The vax honor system is brilliant. If you got the vax, it's up to you if you still want to wear a mask. Now, the red hat anti vaxer has a very serious dilemma. Lie and say they were vaxed, and then they don't have to wear a mask? Nope. Being anti vax, pro freedom is their identity. Telling that lie hurts them deep inside.

They don't want to wear the mask, but getting them to say out loud that they got the shot, that's like saying "bahhhh I am a sheep".
That’s why I favor the business plans that say only fully vaccinated people don‘t need a mask. Disney’s policy on outdoor masks let’s those people off the hook. They don’t have to lie because Disney just gave up and said nobody needs a mask. I know people think lying is no big deal, but the vast majority of people prefer to not have to. I’d prefer we put the responsibility on the unvaccinated to do the right thing than just let them off the hook because we assume they will lie.

Nickp1983

I agree with this. I think that’s why the CDC did not change guidance for the kids under 12. Unvaccinated people, including kids, are supposed to remain masked so they don’t infect others or become sick themselves. That’s why masks in school are still needed. The burden is on the individual to mask up if they are unvaccinated.
I have family who live in the UK. They, based on the media, tend to think everyone over here falls into the extreme American stereotype.
The truth is 95% of us follow the laws. Listen to the professionals. And just want to live our lives safely and to the best of our ability.
I have faith that people for the most part will follow the honor system of vaccinations. I have to. Because if we as a society can't follow such simple and direct guidance that will get us out of this mess quicker... well... damn

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have family who live in the UK. They, based on the media, tend to think everyone over here falls into the extreme American stereotype.
The truth is 95% of us follow the laws. Listen to the professionals. And just want to live our lives safely and to the best of our ability.
I have faith that people for the most part will follow the honor system of vaccinations. I have to. Because if we as a society can't follow such simple and direct guidance that will get us out of this mess quicker... well... damn
Exactly :) There’s something very wrong when a business or the general public says we should just drop masks for everyone because the unvaccinated will just lie. Once we get enough people vaccinated (maybe 70% of adults) and/or we get cases low enough (Fauci at one point said 3 cases per 100,000 to drop masks and distancing) then we will drop masks for everyone. We aren’t there yet, but right now anyone who is vaccinated is safe to not wear a mask or distance.

orky8

That’s why I favor the business plans that say only fully vaccinated people don‘t need a mask. Disney’s policy on outdoor masks let’s those people off the hook. They don’t have to lie because Disney just gave up and said nobody needs a mask. I know people think lying is no big deal, but the vast majority of people prefer to not have to. I’d prefer we put the responsibility on the unvaccinated to do the right thing than just let them off the hook because we assume they will lie.
So kids wear masks outdoors (or indoors) while their parents don't? Not sure that's great policy either. I do wish the CDC would somehow address this issue, maybe with guidance that says evidence of spread among kids is low and their risk is low, so no masks for kids? I dunno, but that is the biggest problem is all this for me.

Nickp1983

See I take Disney's policy as meeting the masks mandates half way.
The biggest issue has always been masks outside in the heat. They are able to now address those complaints while at the same time looking for safety conscious than pretty much every other corporation out there.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
NYC was hit harder, ie more cases and deaths in a short period of time, than any other area of the country, So they have a very different viewpoint than someone from an area where there were few cases. Most people in the NYC area lost friends, relatives, or just people they had interactions with. They all most likely knew dozens of people who were very sick or hospitalized.

I personally know of a handful of people who were sick (but not hospitalized) and cannot think of anyone I know who died. I certainly did not see refrigerated trucks holding bodies parked outside of hospitals and funeral homes. My experience is very different than my daughter and son-in-law, for example, who live in NYC and are still suffering some long term effects from Covid - my son-in-law still does not have his "normal" sense of smell and taste. That sort of experience will stay with people forever, and will 100% make them look at Covid in a different light.

To ridicule people because they have a different POV based on personal experience is cruel.
I’m sorry to hear about your son-in-law, I hope he regains his senses of smell and taste — a lot of people may think those are no big deal, that is, until it happens to them.

As to different POVs, there have been countless cruel posts on the forum ridiculing people for daring to have reservations about lowering their masks, people like me who continue to tread cautiously. I don’t think many realize that all the statistics and scientific evidence in the world can’t explain away the trauma of going through what we went through this last year In NYC. Or, maybe there are those here who were able to make peace with it and move on - but that still doesn’t give anyone the right to ridicule others. Our experiences are different.

I have never pointed the finger at anyone in the last year and ridiculed them for feeling unsafe. But if it makes other people sleep better at night, that’s their prerogative.

Jlwise2021

So kids wear masks outdoors (or indoors) while their parents don't? Not sure that's great policy either. I do wish the CDC would somehow address this issue, maybe with guidance that says evidence of spread among kids is low and their risk is low, so no masks for kids? I dunno, but that is the biggest problem is all this for me.
I agree with this, and I think with the overall cases dropping so quickly in the US, folks are going to have to realize that the mandates will all go away fairly soon, and it’s going to be personal choices that must be made in regards to what feels safe, etc…

Epcotbob

I agree with this, and I think with the overall cases dropping so quickly in the US, folks are going to have to realize that the mandates will all go away fairly soon, and it’s going to be personal choices that must be made in regards to what feels safe, etc…
Exactly! Like it or not, they have decided It’s now the right time to shift the burden of protection back to those who are still concerned about the virus, especially now that the vaccines are widely available and the cases are dropping.

According to the CDC, the chances of contracting covid after being vaccinated are extremely low. If you are vaxxed, but still concerned about the unvaccinated, wear an N95 mask when in public ...problem solved!

Figgy1

Premium Member

THANK YOU! for trying to explain what it's like for those who were hit very hard. Even though my entire family is almost fully vaxxed we're still going to have to be extra careful as my FIL(cancer survivor/immunity compromised) as will those that wish to visit him. We're masking until his doctor says it's safe to do so. I do hope your SIL gets his sense of taste back soon.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
They are leaving that decision up to each individual family. There are some here that state even though they are vaccinated, that they will wear masks with their child, and I think that's great. Others will not, and that's up to them as well. Each family has to look at their situation and decide how to proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom