News Disneyland Working on Future Master Plan- includes Theme Park Expansions, Retail/Entertainment Space, and More!

J4546

i drew up (poorly) a quick design of my hollywood land expansion idea, I used the actual disney plans from the eastern gateway and started from there. this is obviously a rough draft i used spraypaint tool for gods sake.

Ok so the green line is a tree/shrubs/wall and the grey line beside it is the road around the perimeter. The yellow rectangle is just me highlighting the tunnel thats already there. SO, in my drawaing everything is themed hollywood/la 40s and it has 4-5 darks rides, it serves as CAs version of Fantasy Land at DL. And hey, hollywood is all about fantasy it fits. The street is lined with theaters with grand marquis that have the title of the movie(ride) youll be seeing in each theater. So itll be like Now PLaying: Frozen, or Now PLaying: Dick Tracy. the facade will all be 30/40s and peppered with theaters that house dark rides. Not having the actual facades tied to the dark ride theme allows them to be flexible, so they could update and maybe have a new experience every 3-5 years coinciding with a big movie release? In my drawing, the purple is space for a dark ride, the brown is a dark ride, the dark blue is a store, the light blue is a big dark ride, the pink is mostly building facade with some small shops, and the red is a new triangular building that house 2 or 3 small dark rides. The entire area would be peppered with cool disney memories and theming like props from roger rabbit or dick tracy and just so many things you could do with actors, and storefronts. really create an immersive 1940s LA land with 5-6 dark rides themed as old broadway theaters

Attachments

• bridge.jpg
    bridge.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 147

TP2000

Aloha,

Does anyone see the new DVC Tower being cancelled and reprogrammed into the new proposal?

Here's my reply to you, several days late. I had drinks and gossip with friends who would know last weekend.

The Anaheim Resort District is a mess. It's a mish-mash of small businesses that went under six months ago and are never returning, some franchised locations owned by family trusts who can't afford to reopen now twelve months later, and some corporate owned locations that will reopen later in '21 or not until '22.

There's one Singapore based trust, once high flying but now destroyed, who have multiple Anaheim franchised hotel properties coming up for auction on May 20th. But they are itching to sell at a lowball price. The game now for investors is how fast you can escape California's destroyed tourism industry with minimal losses.

TDA and Burbank know all of this. And so they are doing what they can to keep as many Disney owned hotel rooms closed for as long as possible through '21 and into '22. TDA fully realizes that the Anaheim Resort District has been destroyed and is now a wasteland of abandoned properties and homeless hangouts. Their goal for '21 is to push as much hotel occupancy out into the Resort District as possible. Thus, pretty much all CM's from the Paradise Pier and Disneyland hotels were laid off and let go. And they aren't being recalled.

It didn't help that UNITE HERE Local 11 union, and Ada Briceno and all the others who actively protested against evil Disney for the past 10 years, have been a pain in TDA's side for many years. But that's a minor side issue, and a small silver lining for TDA.

llo5bo-llo58ydisneyhungerstrikeendsbyjosh.jpg

To their credit, TDA and Burbank are trying to help the Anaheim Resort District rebound as quickly as possible in '21 by pushing out as much hotel occupancy as possible from the DLH, PPH and even the semi-open GCH into the neighboring hotel properties.

The whole thing is a mess. A massive mess. And it's going to take years to recover from.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Here's my reply to you, several days late. I had drinks and gossip with friends who would know last weekend.

The Anaheim Resort District is a mess. It's a mish-mash of small businesses that went under six months ago and are never returning, some franchised locations owned by family trusts who can't afford to reopen now twelve months later, and some corporate owned locations that will reopen later in '21 or not until '22.

There's one Singapore based trust, once high flying but now destroyed, who have multiple Anaheim franchised hotel properties coming up for auction on May 20th. But they are itching to sell at a lowball price. The game now for investors is how fast you can escape California's destroyed tourism industry with minimal losses.

TDA and Burbank know all of this. And so they are doing what they can to keep as many Disney owned hotel rooms closed for as long as possible through '21 and into '22. TDA fully realizes that the Anaheim Resort District has been destroyed and is now a wasteland of abandoned properties and homeless hangouts. Their goal for '21 is to push as much hotel occupancy out into the Resort District as possible. Thus, pretty much all CM's from the Paradise Pier and Disneyland hotels were laid off and let go. And they aren't being recalled.

To their credit, TDA and Burbank are trying to help the Anaheim Resort District rebound as quickly as possible in '21 by pushing out as much hotel occupancy as possible from the DLH, PPH and even the semi-open GCH into the neighboring hotel properties.

The whole thing is a mess. A massive mess. And it's going to take years to recover from.

Well I guess now it makes sense why on-site hotel reservations don’t guarantee park reservations.

SuddenStorm

It didn't help that UNITE HERE Local 11 union, and Ada Briceno and all the others who actively protested against evil Disney for the past 10 years, have been a pain in TDA's side for many years. But that's a minor side issue, and a small silver lining for TDA.

Not to mention, the resort operating at 15-25% and restricted to Californians only doesn't exactly help the local hotel industry.

Darkbeer1

Not to mention, the resort operating at 15-25% and restricted to Californians only doesn't exactly help the local hotel industry.

Say what, I am up here at the Comfort Suites Stevenson Ranch, looks like they are at 90% capacity based on breakfast and parking.

As of January 25th, 2021 the rules are.

>>Tier status

Widespread (purple)

• Open with modifications
  • Fitness centers can be open outdoors only with modifications
  • Indoor pools, hot tubs, saunas and steam rooms must close
    • Drowning prevention classes, including swim lessons with certified instructors, are permitted in indoor and outdoor swimming pools in all tiers, as they are deemed essential
Substantial (red)

• Fitness centers can open to 10% capacity
  • Indoor pools, hot tubs, saunas, and steam rooms must close
    • Drowning prevention classes, including swim lessons with certified instructors, are permitted in indoor and outdoor swimming pools in all tiers, as they are deemed essential
Moderate (orange)

• Fitness centers can open to 25% capacity
  • Indoor pools can open
  • Indoor hot tubs, saunas, and steam rooms must close
Minimal (yellow)

• Fitness centers can open to 50% capacity
  • Indoor pools, hot tubs, saunas, and steam rooms can open<<

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member

Odd to me that Disney would try to help their neighbors recover rather than using the opportunity to buy low on some of the surrounding property.

As Florida gets hotter every year, Orlando is already consistently seeing falling attendance in the summer even as total attendance rises. Disneyland is going to be the only practical location for summer Disney theme park visits in 20, 40, 50 years. It would behoove Disney to ensure they spend now to lock in the ability to expand later.

Darkbeer1

Odd to me that Disney would try to help their neighbors recover rather than using the opportunity to buy low on some of the surrounding property.

As Florida gets hotter every year, Orlando is already consistently seeing falling attendance in the summer even as total attendance rises. Disneyland is going to be the only practical location for summer Disney theme park visits in 20, 40, 50 years. It would behoove Disney to ensure they spend now to lock in the ability to expand later.

Disney has an image issue with some who live in Anaheim. The last thing they need is to be seen as the one who killed these businesses. Whether true or not.

Seems like Disney sees more value in its DisneylandForward plans.

lazyboy97o

Disney has an image issue with some who live in Anaheim. The last thing they need is to be seen as the one who killed these businesses. Whether true or not.

But you think it’d be fine if they were part of taking people’s homes...

Darkbeer1

But you think it’d be fine if they were part of taking people’s homes...
The first, not Disney? Would be taking it for a city road? Which is a regular occurrence, but usually fewer at one time. If the city follows proper protocols and makes sure the renters are taken care of

DanielBB8

The plans are a patchwork quilt of intentions without a strong framework. It simply lacks vision despite the nice graphics and concepts. Saying it's theme park expansion when it could very well be a third park and enclosed as the final end point is disingenuous. The last thing Disneyland needs is another land expansion into the former Downtown Disney parking lot when it already has expanded into Galaxy's Edge and the future Mickey Runaway Railway in upper Toontown. DCA has yet to expand into the future expansion pad next to Carsland, but here's the proposal for land expansion into the Simba parking lot. These new bridges are a ridiculous approach, but probably necessary just the same, AND they'll mess up crowd flow from what we now have where guests walk into the Esplanade.

Logically, guests should merely walk directly into Disneyland, DCA, and the Third Park or "Expansions" from the closest point to the parking lot and all tram roads are converted into theme park or mixed use space. Otherwise, your feet will be screaming "get me to the exit". What if you're at the Disneyland Expansion Land and then you must backtrack to the Disneyland exit and then walk back to Mickey & Friends parking lot. That's asking alot.

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

Aloha,
This notion that they’re keeping rooms closed to help the resort district is spin. This is literally no different than what has happened in the swamps where a considerable number of rooms will be shuttered until ‘22. If they can get DLH close to pre pandemic occupancy numbers, they will reopen because they need the parks to make as much profit as possible to prop up the company.

el_super

Aloha,
This notion that they’re keeping rooms closed to help the resort district is spin. This is literally no different than what has happened in the swamps where a considerable number of rooms will be shuttered until ‘22. If they can get DLH close to pre pandemic occupancy numbers, they will reopen because they need the parks to make as much profit as possible to prop up the company.

Seriously, why does this keep coming up? DLH is still under construction and PPH probably doesn't have the profit margin to support low capacity. Yes the consequence may be that it helps other local hotels that can provide rooms at a discount rate, but the cause is demand versus capacity more than anything else.

mickEblu

Aloha,

With all the pent up demand, what makes you think they wouldn’t be close to pre pandemic numbers?

freebird72

Aloha,
I agree. Do you think it would be reasonable to estimate that if the parks are 25% capacity, they might only fill 25% of their resort rooms as well? In which case, they need only open GCH until capacity can increase (If room counts on Wikipedia are correct, they have 2419 rooms between the 3 hotels, 604 rooms would be 25% and well covered by the 948 room Grand Californian).

mickEblu

I agree. Do you think it would be reasonable to estimate that if the parks are 25% capacity, they might only fill 25% of their resort rooms as well? In which case, they need only open GCH until capacity can increase (If room counts on Wikipedia are correct, they have 2419 rooms between the 3 hotels, 604 rooms would be 25% and well covered by the 948 room Grand Californian).

Well not all 25% are going to stay onsite obviously but even if 5% of (total parks capacity) guests stay on site (which I think is a very low/ conservative number considering pent up demand) then you are talking about 2,700 people. Lets divide that by 2.5 and assume an average of 2.5 people are staying in each room that would be 1080 rooms which would almost be covered by the Grand Californian except I heard they re not even making all of the rooms available.

Also by only offering limited rooms at the Grand, I'm assuming prices for those limited number of rooms will be quite high so many of those people who may have purchased cheaper rooms at the DLH or Paradise Pier will not be going to the parks or will be staying offsite. Which is in line with what we heard from TP.

Myself, I've decided I'm good with a 1-2 day trip and an offsite hotel until they work out the kinks and thing go back to "normal." Hopefully no later than Spring 2022

Last edited:

TP2000

Aloha,

It could very well be spin. Although the folks I spoke with over drinks whom I've known for many years had no reason to spin it. But maybe they are spinners and I just don't know it?

What I have been told is that TDA (a monolith, to be sure, but one run by humans with distinct opinions/strategies) has a completely different mindset than they did just a few years ago when it comes to the neighbors. They are currently trying to do everything they can to help resurrect the Anaheim Resort District. Now, a year or two from now? That strategy may change and they may go cut-throat again against the brand new JW Marriott, Westin, and other big corporate players and even smaller mom n' pops. But it's the newer hotels, especially swanky ones like the JW Marriott and Westin that opened literally in the middle of the pandemic, that TDA realizes they need to help get up off the mat and become a viable business quickly before permanent damage is done. Not flooding the market with Disney-owned hotel rooms helps that.

I don't know if you've seen the Anaheim Resort District lately, but it is dead. Dead and buried and its grave is being slept on my homeless druggies. The Resort District desperately needs resurrection and a return to the living, and TDA is trying very hard to help its neighbors right now.

And to continue the theme of resurrection....

Happy Easter to all my friends here! I hope you all have a fun weekend and find all the good eggs! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom