Rumor Muppets to Take Over The Hall of Presidents

yensidtlaw1969

Can someone clarify what this means, does it mean that the speaking president is a single AA which is re-dressed with every new President and therefore the "new" President doesn't actually get a dedicated figure until they're out of office and put in the background?
If I recall correctly only The Current President, Honest Abe, and OG George are more advanced AA's. The rest are more basic since all they do is react and fidget around on stage. The current president AA is simply re-dressed and skinned during the update, with the prior president's skin and clothes being put on a new "basic" AA.
Indeed - the sitting President is essentially a "flex-figure" who is adapted (and, as necessary, upgraded) to become the new President. That way they're not relegating a highly advanced figure to what is basically background work once every 4-8 years.

What is currently Trump's animatronic frame was previously Obama's frame, and will now become Biden's frame, with a new, simpler animated frame being made from scratch for Trump to stand amongst the other Presidents.

Phicinfan

To recap what we know just to make everyone crystal clear:

The Muppets are getting attention. They’re considered under the umbrella of Walt Disney Imagineering because WDI had a puppetry division and The Muppets got rolled into that. They’re actually a great fit because puppetry is a creative endeavor. The puppeteers share a lot of common principles with Imagineers, so now they are one and the same. It works. As a side note, The Muppets (well, puppets in general) are really the ONLY property that Disney has that can be true to form in the parks. Think about it. Everything else has to be translated into a three-dimensional environment. The Muppets are already in that form. The biggest issue here is to design animatronics that can mimic hand movements.

The Muppet Show is coming to Disney+. This is a HUGE deal because the rights for the original Muppet Show are a ridiculous jumble of chaos. Music rights were never acquired for use outside of network television, guest star appearances were contingent on separate contracts. Hell, just finding the episodes in good enough quality to put in a modern day streaming service was a miracle on its own. This shows there was considerable thought and investment put into this project at the corporate level. It bodes positively for the entire brand.

Joe Biden is the new president and he is getting an animatronic of himself. This shouldn’t be news to anyone. It also is nothing new to know that they re-skin the head of the existing talking president in the show to keep the costs down. Only the speaking animatronics have major motion functions in the show. The other units are placed in the background and have much less motion. We expect that to happen every time a president changes. We expect that Trump will end up somewhere in the back. As far as I say, good: his likeness is poor at best.

I heard that they want to incorporate The Muppets into the show from multiple sources I trust. This doesn’t mean changing the show so much that it’s not “The Hall of Presidents” anymore. It means slapping a narration from someone like Kermit the Frog or Sam the Eagle on the show. Mostly in the re-done video presentation. The Muppets are cheap to film: they’re puppets. A narration has to be done anyway. This can be done cheaply. I also suspect an animatronic Muppet to be possible (and probably the cheapest form of a new animatronic), but not necessarily something that has to happen. The point here would be to make the show more fun for audiences.

Nothing Disney has announced has changed anything about this rumor. I admit I got the timing wrong and made the wrong assumption about the Twitter posts. But I don’t believe my sources were wrong entirely. There is something solid to this.

Anyway, I don’t think I left anything out that needed to be said, but hopefully that clears up any confusion. Stay positive!
I don't get the angst here from some folks.
Why is this such a bad idea?
Maybe some feel this will be done tongue in cheek?
I keep hearing folks here upset that EPCOT is moving away from edutainment. Here is a chance to put a youthful spin on a key history piece. Having Muppets who do resonate with kids, ask and teach about history, and take a political spin out of this attraction. Granted it needs to be done correctly, but it could be done to enhance what is there already, which is celebration our presidential history. Quite frankly this could be a win/win if done well.

Now wait as we get the oncoming wave of when was the last time Disney did things right.....

Higginbotham587

You'll be waiting, because once the pandemic really started taking its toll on budgets, the expenditure on this attraction was cut to nearly nothing at all. They're putting a new head on the current animatronic, adding new dialogue, and putting the Trump head on a mostly static figure. There's no more cash for anything other than emergency expenditures.

the work on Tom Sawyer Island was an emergency?

lazyboy97o

I keep hearing folks here upset that EPCOT is moving away from edutainment. Here is a chance to put a youthful spin on a key history piece. Having Muppets who do resonate with kids, ask and teach about history, and take a political spin out of this attraction. Granted it needs to be done correctly, but it could be done to enhance what is there already, which is celebration our presidential history. Quite frankly this could be a win/win if done well.

Now wait as we get the oncoming wave of when was the last time Disney did things right.....
Have you ever watched the Muppets? Their whole schtick is irreverence. The second pilot for The Muppets Show, made nearly 50 years ago, was titled Sex and Violence.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Like I said earlier, revert back to the non speaking POTUS format. There’s been audience noise since the 2001 version at least.

Then eject from the park anyone who causes disturbance. Some sections of society sadly don’t deserve to be part of society. And not just in the US.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainsOfDisney

Back to the OP -

I’m wondering if the muppets are going to become hosts to the attraction. Meaning the show itself stays the same (it was just updated with big $$$... there’s no need to change it yet.) But Sam Eagle gives a pre-show announcement and there are a few Muppet branded signs for the kids to read in the lobby.

Phicinfan

Have you ever watched the Muppets? Their whole schtick is irreverence. The second pilot for The Muppets Show, made nearly 50 years ago, was titled Sex and Violence.
Not all of it, Kermit was involved in Sesame street with a few others that also structured on learning.

I will say though, and trying not to be political here, but lets be honest, some of our presidential history deserves some .... ribbing.

Phicinfan

Back to the OP -

I’m wondering if the muppets are going to become hosts to the attraction. Meaning the show itself stays the same (it was just updated with big $$$... there’s no need to change it yet.) But Sam Eagle gives a pre-show announcement and there are a few Muppet branded signs for the kids to read in the lobby.
Kind of my idea as well. Have them ask questions to lead dialog from the presentation maybe? Just say Kermit and maybe the younger frog whose name escapes me asking historical questions....that kind of thing. Sam Eagle has to be part of it though ;)

Phicinfan

The Muppets announced all 5 seasons are coming to Disney+.

HoP is closing to install Joe Biden, as happens with every new POTUS.

Somehow, those two things became confused and some believe the Muppets are being installed into HoP.
You missed the whole first post of this thread. No mistake was made, and Insider with history here had sources stating that Muppets could be included in HoP. Only mistake made by said insider(not really a mistake) was the timing...as he thought the announcement coming out could be about that. Still a valid rumor

_caleb

Do the Muppets appeal to kids in 2021?

HarperRose

You missed the whole first post of this thread. No mistake was made, and Insider with history here had sources stating that Muppets could be included in HoP. Only mistake made by said insider(not really a mistake) was the timing...as he thought the announcement coming out could be about that. Still a valid rumor
I didn't miss anything.

UNCgolf

I didn't miss anything.

Yes you did. As has been repeated numerous times by multiple people, including the OP (both before and after the announcement) and the person who runs this website, the Muppets tweets had absolutely nothing to do with this rumor. You're conflating two separate things.

What you're describing (people seeing Muppets tweets and combining that with the HoP refurb to create a rumor) is not what happened.

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Do the Muppets appeal to kids in 2021?
The kids who KNOW about the muppets love them. There will be like 7 kids out of about 150 who actually know anything about them. But those 7 kids are hardcore fans. I have a little kid in our camps named CJ who has a collection of puppets at home and his favorite attraction is Muppet Vision.

Just because kids aren't exposed to something doesn't mean that thing doesn't appeal to them. It just means the advertising team isn't doing a great job, or parents just aren't introducing their kids to Muppets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom