Covid Vaccine Updates and General Discussion About Vaccines

Will you take a Covid vaccine once one is approved and deemed safe and effective by the FDA?

• Yes, stick me please

• No, I will wait

• No, I will never take one

Results are only viewable after voting.

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Here’s an article where Dr Fauci makes the statement that we need to get 80-85% of people to be vaccinated to meaningfully reduce infection rates.

I was thinking if we could reach herd immunity at 60% immune and the vaccines were really 90%+ effective we would need about 2/3 of people to take it. I don’t know if we get to 80-85%, our informal poll here is still below 80%. He does mention that masks and distancing won’t go away automatically with a vaccine and we won’t be able to return to normal until enough people get vaccinated.
I’m hoping some of the hesitation from people subsides as more get vaccinated. I plan on getting it as soon as it’s available and maybe as people see that the side effects aren’t terrible, more will be willing to get it. At least I hope so.

Heppenheimer

I’m hoping some of the hesitation from people subsides as more get vaccinated. I plan on getting it as soon as it’s available and maybe as people see that the side effects aren’t terrible, more will be willing to get it. At least I hope so.
It will probably help boost confidence that virtually every health care worker and first responder will get the vaccine before it becomes available to the general public. A sort of "Do as I say and as I did" situation.

But I'm sure the mis-information brigade is already hard at work to undermine all this hard work, unfortunately.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I am hoping by May the mask mandates especially at Disney will be lightened to only indoors or when standing in line for a ride and you close to people.

I doubt they will ever go that route because it's to subjective. If you need to wear them when in line for a ride, then how about in line for food, or watching a parade (assuming they come back). If you need to wear them indoors, then do I need to ware them in semi-indoor spaces like the Tomorrowland Terrace? As you make more exceptions to the rules, it becomes harder to enforce compliance.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I agree with early posters that until lots of people get vaccinated, the mask rules and social distancing will likely stay in place. I wish there was a way if one is vaccinated to have the freedom of choice not to wear a mask, but people would abuse that and claim vaccination even if unvaccinated if they hate wearing masks.

But at some point masks should become optional. I would assume this would occur when the case numbers in Orange County, Florida go down enough as people are vaccinated.

I am not sure how much local case numbers would enter into this decision since so many people come from other parts of the country.

Dog Ate Mouse

Actually, If we get vaccinated I am hoping this will get us back to normal to where we just throw the Mask's away all together. I see the Vaccine for Corona Virus to be like getting the flu shot on a yearly basis. I hope I am wrong on that but it is a possibility. 2020 no matter how you look at it has been a terrible year. How about we all make 2021 much better and get back to full normalcy so we all can just bicker that we like this or hate that and why is Disney doing that and not this. It would be nice to see everyone's faces again with smiles instead of a mask. If a vaccine get me to this point then I am all for it.

lazyboy97o

Actually, If we get vaccinated I am hoping this will get us back to normal to where we just throw the Mask's away all together. I see the Vaccine for Corona Virus to be like getting the flu shot on a yearly basis. I hope I am wrong on that but it is a possibility. 2020 no matter how you look at it has been a terrible year. How about we all make 2021 much better and get back to full normalcy so we all can just bicker that we like this or hate that and why is Disney doing that and not this. It would be nice to see everyone's faces again with smiles instead of a mask. If a vaccine get me to this point then I am all for it.
We absolutely should not throw away the masks. We should continue to use them when exhibiting respiratory symptoms to continue to prevent unnecessary spread of respiratory illnesses.

Dog Ate Mouse

That is Draconian measures that will not be needed. Please read about Mask's and the Corona Virus. Not saying any way or shape we should not be wearing them right now. But there will be a time to go back to normalcy and be ourselves again. When this virus is checked like a flu then go about your daily lives. If you are sick stay home. Pretty much common sense. Mask's are more harm going forward once we have the virus under control.

rangerbob

I think people will continue wearing masks after immunization for a while. But once we reach the point where everyone who wants a vaccine has gotten one, I don't expect them to continue. They're not going to want to wear masks because others refuse to get the vaccine.
I'm still wearing mine and I know that I already have the first shot in me. They have said that even though you have it you must continue with the precautions. I'm in the AstraZenica study group.

dewardevi

Wearing masks in public is quite normal behavior in the Eastern-Pacific nations, both for respiratory illness protection and as a barrier to street-level air pollution like dust and auto exhaust. I think a lot of Americans will have picked up the habit even after Covid-19 is past, and will continue to use them.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
An update on the Pfizer vaccine, now over 95% effective:

After they reached 170 total infections only 8 came from the vaccine group and only 1 of the vaccinated had severe Covid symptoms. They are planning to file for Emergency Use Authorization this week as they have the safety data necessary now to meet the requirement. Really positive news. :)

Shouldigo12

I hate saying anything positive about this, because every time I made an optimistic guess about how things would turn out I was hilariously wrong. So I'll stick with this thread is very informative, and I look forward to hearing some more informative news. ;)

Familyof5

With Pfizer’s news dropping last Monday on their vaccine being 90%+ effective in their phase 3 clinical trial I wanted to start a thread dedicated to the vaccine developments. The general Covid thread moves too fast and sometimes vaccine info and discussion gets lost. Feel free to discuss anything vaccine related including but not limited to:
  • updates on vaccines (Moderna‘s initial phase 3 results expected to come out any day),
  • discussion on who gets the vaccine first
  • how the vaccines are being distributed
  • whether vaccines are safe
  • whether businesses like Disney should require customers show proof of vaccine after its widely available
  • The impact and timing of when a vaccine could help get WDW back to something resembling normal
Just be careful with this Thread there are some anti-science, anti-vaccination people who, like a one note piano, may flood this thread with their anti-science perspective. Please be kind and respectful in comments.

Last edited:

Familyof5

I'm not a medical professional, however, here is my understanding. Current Stage 3 trials are measuring Efficacy (do vaccinated people get symptoms) and safety (are there adverse effects?). These trials are on thousands of people. Great news. However, the studies are not designed to measure if is possible for vaccinated people to transfer Covid to others. Vaccination may protect you but we don't know if a vaccinated person can still transfer Covid. So, we won't know about "herd immunity" until new studies are published. Masks should remain mandatory until we have answered the "safety of others" question.

Shouldigo12

I'm not a medical professional, however, here is my understanding. Current Stage 3 trials are measuring Efficacy (do vaccinated people get symptoms) and safety (are there adverse effects?). These trials are on thousands of people. Great news. However, the studies are not designed to measure if is possible for vaccinated people to transfer Covid to others. Vaccination may protect you but we don't know if a vaccinated person can still transfer Covid. So, we won't know about "herd immunity" until new studies are published. Masks should remain mandatory until we have answered the "safety of others" question.
That's pretty much my understanding of it. And even if it does prevent you from spreading it, we would still need a lot of people vaccinated before we could securely do away with the masks. The earliest estimate I've seen for everyone being able to get their shot is April, and that's under the assumption that all three big vaccines are safe, efficient, and granted the emergency use authorization. So I would say we're probably looking at masks until at least then, possibly longer.

lazyboy97o

Being infected and being contagious are a result of the same function, the virus replicating in your body.

davis1978

I absolutely think WDW should implement a no covid vaccine record, no entry policy (once the vaccine is widely available). Why should the rest of us have to cater to the self entitled anti vaxxers like the 4 people in the survey above who will never take the vaccine... well then you should not get to enjoy WDW either. You make your bed of misinformation, you lie in it.

Shouldigo12

I absolutely think WDW should implement a no covid vaccine record, no entry policy (once the vaccine is widely available). Why should the rest of us have to cater to the self entitled anti vaxxers like the 4 people in the survey above who will never take the vaccine... well then you should not get to enjoy WDW either. You make your bed of misinformation, you lie in it.
I'm not sure it would be as easy as that. I know students can easily get out of getting vaccinated by telling the school they can't for religious reasons. Or at least they could when I was in school. So I can WDW being wary of implementing a rule like this and then having people claim they're being discriminated against for religious reasons.
I don't know a whole lot about the laws when it comes to vaccines though, so maybe someone more knowledgeable about whether this would be allowed could chime in,

Familyof5

We all hope that vaccination ensures non-transmission.

However, it may not be true.

I'm not trying to be a Grinchy. My point is only that we need to be prudent until we have the data. Even if I get the vaccine, I will wear a mask to protect others until I know that it is unlikely that I can harm them; especially the high-risk

From the Lancet Journal below. I may be misunderstanding, but I think it calls for prudence.
"However, the impact of these COVID-19 vaccines on infection and thus transmission is not being assessed. Even if vaccines were able to confer protection from disease, they might not reduce transmission similarly."

disneymom57

With Ticketmaster exploring a plan to allow concert and sports venues to require a vaccination or negative Covid test to attend an event, what do people think about WDW possibly doing something similar once a vaccine is widely available? If WDW could remove their Covid restrictions sooner by asking guests to either show proof of a vaccine or a negative Covid test would you go?

No, I don't like the restrictions, but I will not be tested or show that I had the vaccine. I know I will get alot of flack for my answers,but I have not been sick nor has my family since this so call virus started. We did not quarantine, we went on with our daily routine and life. To those of you who will give me the ,"well you didn't have anyone sick or die from it, sorry and condolences to you all"
But we are living our life as close to normal as before this virus. If asked or need be to get in stores or other areas ,I do wear a mask, but as far 24/7 wearing one ,no stinking way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom