Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

hopemax

I dont think its so much that people can't afford to travel. Its the fact that things are sooooooo shaky right now for everyone-rich or poor- people dont want to spend money on things they dont need to spend money on in case a rainy day awaits them.
For me, it's not even being afraid of future finances. It's a re-examination of everything. Do I really need another piece of Chinese made plastic whatever when the world is on fire in a dozen different ways? Can it be remotely satisfying when there is this general feeling that there has to be something better than this. I'm so glad we went to Hong Kong in 2018, because the way the political situation has deteriorated I can't even imagine when I would go back, even though I really want to. I wonder how many other places I might have missed out on seeing before transformative change (climate change or geopolitical forces), because we took another trip to WDW. Although, in our case that was also about visiting my parents; but I didn't have to spend so much money in-park. We could have just done rides, a few meals and snacks here and there, and called it good. @Sirwalterraleigh 's responsible consumerism. Maybe, our changes mean nothing in the large scheme of things. But if there is more money in my bank account than Disney's, at least I have options.

castlecake2.0

My friend just got the call, 18 years with the Company. I got a call today too, but mine was a good one, telling me to get my medical renewed for DCL as they’re hoping to start brining crew to the ships "soon". Been gone since April so looking forward to hopefully be called back soon. The person on the call didn’t know if the 28,000 includes ship board crew as our employment works a bit differently than WDW.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We're not going to know until we are actually allowed to travel. I would imagine that there's a lot of working people who aren't affected by job losses that are saving a lot of money right now by not traveling, dining out, going to sporting events or other forms of entertainment .

I know my vacation savings account is bigger than it's ever been. I'll just keep growing it until the borders open. I'm starting to look at vacation options that I never thought I would have the patience or impulse control to save for. Maybe I can finally take the African safari or trip to Australia I've always wanted to do.
I fall in that general parameter...but that’s not what the economic forecasts necessarily predict - for a variety of reasons.

But as we’ve obviously spent less...I cringe to think we spent north of $25,000 on travel in 2019 (😬)...and saved a lot this year...

I’m not necessarily saving for travel. We are more into planning major house renovations. And this is stupid...but i’m Angling for jetskis.

That’s a completely frivolous purchase...but it does represent the desire to have easier/more frequent recreation. Not disposable like a Disney trip.

As I said...this board is not “normal”...there are many here who mainline inject Disney...plan stranger group trips on Disney cruise ships (where adults can REALLY party in line to meet Daisy 😉)...etc.
You’ll have to shoot them to keep them away from from their villa or CL room...

...but there is no guarantee the product/price at Disney parks will be completely embraced quickly. And that’s coming off a “high”
Where they had huge attendance even as the experience sucked in Orlando in the fastpass+ era...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For me, it's not even being afraid of future finances. It's a re-examination of everything. Do I really need another piece of Chinese made plastic whatever when the world is on fire in a dozen different ways? Can it be remotely satisfying when there is this general feeling that there has to be something better than this. I'm so glad we went to Hong Kong in 2018, because the way the political situation has deteriorated I can't even imagine when I would go back, even though I really want to. I wonder how many other places I might have missed out on seeing before transformative change (climate change or geopolitical forces), because we took another trip to WDW. Although, in our case that was also about visiting my parents; but I didn't have to spend so much money in-park. We could have just done rides, a few meals and snacks here and there, and called it good. @Sirwalterraleigh 's responsible consumerism. Maybe, our changes mean nothing in the large scheme of things. But if there is more money in my bank account than Disney's, at least I have options.
...you know how to sweet talk me 😘

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My friend just got the call, 18 years with the Company. I got a call today too, but mine was a good one, telling me to get my medical renewed for DCL as they’re hoping to start brining crew to the ships "soon". Been gone since April so looking forward to hopefully be called back soon. The person on the call didn’t know if the 28,000 includes ship board crew as our employment works a bit differently than WDW.
When’s the first sailing?

I saw the cdc extended the ban through the end of the month...

hopemax

I’m not necessarily saving for travel. We are more into planning major house renovations. And this is stupid...but i’m Angling for jetskis.

That’s a completely frivolous purchase...but it does represent the desire to have easier/more frequent recreation. Not disposable like a Disney trip.
This tweet, from one of the EpiTwitter people came through my timeline today. Enjoy your jetskis

Miss Bella

When’s the first sailing?

I saw the cdc extended the ban through the end of the month...
The CDC wanted to extend it Feb 15, but the white task force nixed that. The ban was extended a month to match the ban by CLIA. I think DCL will be the last cruise line to start up. I expect the expect the big three to start cruising as soon as they can.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I dont think its so much that people can't afford to travel. Its the fact that things are sooooooo shaky right now for everyone-rich or poor- people dont want to spend money on things they dont need to spend money on in case a rainy day awaits them.
Exactly 👏
Life would be boring if everyone liked strawberry and no one like raspberry :)
The friends I referenced are from Georgia. That’s not the state I’m in.
Ahhh...not my hood

I live in one - the highest per capital DVC membership (at least at one point) - where they do “voluntary” quarantines from hot zones.

Here’s how that plays. If i went to Florida (and I am booked for now)...when my kids get back I have to fill out a daily form promising we have not been to a state on the list. If I lie and it’s caught, they are kicked to distance Learning for semester and the county health officer comes over for tea (on the porch)
If i admit it...they can be asked to tested or stay home 2 weeks and then be be tested prior to return.

So the “nuance” makes the policy there.

Last edited by a moderator:

tirian

I’ve never met you, but I’m glad your call was a relief. Hope your friend gets a new job quickly.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The CDC wanted to extend it Feb 15, but the white task force nixed that. The ban was extended a month to match the ban by CLIA. I think DCL will be the last cruise line to start up. I expect the expect the big three to start cruising as soon as they can.
So February it is then? 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom