Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

hopemax

The WaPo front page Story today is a study that suggests that the covid “recession” will be a massive boon to the highest earners (heard that before?) while being “worse than net effects of the Great Depression” to the bottom 80%...

...I’d rethink your stance, Mr. Sunny 😎
I've been thinking about that since the announcements. Even if these Disney jobs come back 3-5 years, the salaries for those jobs will be less than if the pandemic had never happened. The front line cast may be less affected in the first wave, as living wage is still a hot button issue. But all the salaried positions, managers, technicians, artisans, etc. If $80K jobs become $60K, if $60K becomes $40K, something is going to have to give in the greater scheme of things. That next wave, as we learn which industries have support in a world where people make less, while bearing the increased costs of worldly issues (climate change, healthcare, etc)... this all feels like we are going through a transformative period in history, with no guarantee that the outcomes will be positive.

Also, on a psychological level, I don't know where people will be when we come out the other side. I know everyone is eager to travel, be someplace other than home, and so your ol' standby places, like Disney, are the top of the list. But what if it's like dining in a restaurant now? I've seen many people say, they were excited to go, only to find themselves unsatisfied with the outcome, ill at ease, unsettled. What if by the time we're done if all the behavioral data Disney has been eagerly collecting regarding tolerance for wait times, costs, experiences doesn't apply anymore? All the hoops WDW required guests to jump through were already generating negative reactions, but not always enough to get people to pull the trigger to stop. What if after all of this, the ridiculousness of all of that is just too stark to be overcome by various parties, character popcorn buckets and themed treats?

Anyway, this is mostly just brain rambles.

Miss Bella

I don't think 80% will be economically unable to travel once things fully open. I do however agree with the severity of the long term effects.

I think many families will travel on the back of credit, which is essentially a band-aid on an ax wound
80% is a huge number. I think it's going to vary a lot from state to state. Our unemployment rate in February was 4.5% in August it's 5.9%. That's not a huge difference. We did not have a draconian lock down. Indoor seating in restaurants and non essential businesses have been open since May.
I honestly don't know one person that has lost their job and businesses are still hiring.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
80% is a huge number. I think it's going to vary a lot from state to state. Our unemployment rate in February was 4.5% in August it's 5.9%. That's not a huge difference. We did not have a draconian lock down. Indoor seating in restaurants and non essential businesses have been open since May.
I honestly don't know one person that has lost their job and businesses are still hiring.
It wasn’t about job loss...that is an extreme measure.

It’s about loss of income relative to inflation, savings, disposal income spent that boosts the entire economy, etc.

People can “fall behind” without losing a job or being foreclosed.

Miss Bella

It’s about loss of income relative to inflation, savings, disposal income spent that boosts the entire economy, etc.

It's still not 80%. I don't see a lot of people on these boards saying they can't afford to travel.

oceanbreeze77

It's still not 80%. I don't see a lot of people on these boards saying they can't afford to travel.
I dont think its so much that people can't afford to travel. Its the fact that things are sooooooo shaky right now for everyone-rich or poor- people dont want to spend money on things they dont need to spend money on in case a rainy day awaits them.

Miss Bella

This board is not an accurate cross section of the public...or even Disney customers.

And I don’t know of anyone prone to travel whom”plans” not to travel...
But I know many who are on budgets...and budgets change
We're not going to know until we are actually allowed to travel. I would imagine that there's a lot of working people who aren't affected by job losses that are saving a lot of money right now by not traveling, dining out, going to sporting events or other forms of entertainment .

I know my vacation savings account is bigger than it's ever been. I'll just keep growing it until the borders open. I'm starting to look at vacation options that I never thought I would have the patience or impulse control to save for. Maybe I can finally take the African safari or trip to Australia I've always wanted to do.

Patcheslee

Just informed Monday our union contract was approved, unfortunately the raises and wage adjustments to get at industry standard they had forecast the agreement to be is nowhere near what they expected prepandemic. (predicted a wage adjustment of $5/hr this year vs 1.25/hr raise agreed on now, and yearly raises are now performance based instead of .50/hr every year for everyone, low performance means no raise for a year)
While it doesn't hurt my family specifically to not be where we should, other people are now looking at the next 5 years not getting ahead on bills still and thinking of trying to find a different job.
Then the whole part that many people in the US are having to find new jobs, many times they don't start with PTO if they ever get it, so even with a decent wage the time off isn't there for people to vacation.
Many companies are use the pandemic as leverage for long term IMO.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Who’s not allowed to travel?
Every respectable country with two nickels to rub together is currently restricted to fly to the circus known as “the United States” for non-essential travel...

And half the states are barred from Florida through “deterrence”...hoping they will get at least smart enough to fake the numbers soon.

(Sadly I’m only HALF kidding)

Miss Bella

You didn’t say international travel.

Also... I have friends who vacationed to Mexico in August and other friends who are in the UK right now... so I guess nobody told them?

These are the countries that are open to Americans and what the requirements are to get in. I believe UK still requires a 14 day quarantine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom