Disneyland To Open Sept. 16th?

TP2000

@TP2000 - Can you pick this up for me and fly over in your private jet and deliver it to me? Thanks!

(But seriously, I want that hoodie. Anyone close by who can grab one for me and I'll pay you for it?)

Sorry my friend, rumors of a private jet are vastly over-stated. Somehow my Delta SkyMiles account was misconstrued as a Gulfstream G600. :oops:

And as I have a family vacation house to stay in here in San Diego County, which is already Red and heading quickly towards Orange, I'll be staying here until Purple OC at least gets to go to Red, after Sacramento has a dynamic conversation about it and gives OC ten swift spanks for talking back to their betters.

So no runs up to the Commerce outlet mall in LA for me any time soon, I'm afraid.

TP2000

While we know that theme parks are not part of the new California 4-tier system, the OC Register has a good run down of how Disneyland could potentially reopen in stages starting today:

That just reads to me like much of what the OC Register has been relegated to reporting about Disneyland for the past six months; conjecture and educated guesses.

Because Sacramento has released absolutely no information about how or when California's theme park industry might be allowed to restart, all journalists have to go on is all us fans have to go on; best guesses and hopeful ideas based on when mini-golf and bowling alleys can reopen "with modifications".

Let's not forget that Governor Newsom said on Friday that he considers reopening theme parks in his state to be a "dynamic conversation" that he plans "to have in that space" at an undefined time. Only middle-managers from HR know what Newsom's corporate-speak language means, so it kind of leaves us in the dark, if only slightly illuminating that at least Governor Newsom is having some sort of communication with someone about California theme parks.

But as for that OC Register article and its attempt at being helpful? It's nice of them to help us guess what the future holds, but we still don't know what's happening when and at what point the Matterhorn Bobsleds become legal to operate again.

TP2000

Boy did I see and hear some juicy things today.

Went to DTD for my reservation at the limited edition 65th pin event. In terms of conversation, I chatted up a storm with one of the nicest CMs (and I know they all typically are, but she was so sweet!) when I had mentioned that I had not seen DL for Halloween or Christmas (as I am a brand new AP) she mentioned that she hopes that the parks open this year to see the Halloween and Christmas decorations, but she said “rumor has it that is we keep doing well and can make it to the next tier of the watch list, newsom will let you see both decorations”. So there is that.

Also, there is soooo much going on behind the scenes. Trucks, painting, food delivery all seen from usually-closed maintenance and delivery areas behind the theme parks. I saw them touching up street lamps in green alongside Disneyland Drive. I saw a food delivery truck go into that gated area by Space Mountain (Santa Monica seafood truck). Grand Californian’s parking lot was incredibly and unusually busy based on every time I’ve seen it during this closure. Parking lot by other DTD entrance (by ESPN zone) was filled completely, and while I’m not sure if CMs are using this lot, I know that they were using DL hotel lot before and this was just WAY more cars than there would be workers in DTD alone. New pieces of duct tape are being laid out for proper markers to go in their place that stretches WAY far out to the parking lot. There is a crane by where Runaway Railway is going/ near galaxy edge. there was a maintenance vehicle behind splash mountain. The Mickey wheel was turning.

You can explain and brush off a few of these things, but the activity there today was unique for the many times I’ve been there since reopening.

Thank you friend! That's great observation.

I was just realizing that it's now Monday afternoon, leading quickly towards a big holiday weekend, and we still have radio silence from Sacramento's dynamic conversation about California theme parks. If we don't hear something this week, it would seem to push Disneyland's reopening into early October at the soonest. :(

But maybe your observation of increasing activity around the park is good news that something is afoot?

Tamandua

That just reads to me like much of what the OC Register has been relegated to reporting about Disneyland for the past six months; conjecture and educated guesses.

Because Sacramento has released absolutely no information about how or when California's theme park industry might be allowed to restart, all journalists have to go on is all us fans have to go on; best guesses and hopeful ideas based on when mini-golf and bowling alleys can reopen "with modifications".

Let's not forget that Governor Newsom said on Friday that he considers reopening theme parks in his state to be a "dynamic conversation" that he plans "to have in that space" at an undefined time. Only middle-managers from HR know what Newsom's corporate-speak language means, so it kind of leaves us in the dark, if only slightly illuminating that at least Governor Newsom is having some sort of communication with someone about California theme parks.

But as for that OC Register article and its attempt at being helpful? It's nice of them to help us guess what the future holds, but we still don't know what's happening when and at what point the Matterhorn Bobsleds become legal to operate again.

I've seen a lot of headlines from the OC Register during this shutdown and it's been pretty pathetic. It's clear that they have sold a lot of subscriptions based on theme park news, so now they're basically a blog that makes stuff up based on the most flimsy basis to fulfill their obligation to their readers for theme park content. They're not even working as hard as Askimosita over here to find out what's really going on.

TP2000

I've seen a lot of headlines from the OC Register during this shutdown and it's been pretty pathetic. It's clear that they have sold a lot of subscriptions based on theme park news, so now they're basically a blog that makes stuff up based on the most flimsy basis to fulfill their obligation to their readers for theme park content. They're not even working as hard as Askimosita over here to find out what's really going on.

Yes, I couldn't agree more. The Orange County Register, once one of America's great 20th century newspapers owned by a famously Libertarian family that refused to toe the party line laid out by the NY Times, Washington Post and LA Times, has devolved into a rather sad state. And their Disneyland coverage during Covid has become nothing more than conjecture and vague guesses, with no real news or investigative ability. Sprinkled with some sucking up.

That's a fate shared by many newspapers in the USA in the last decade, but none have degraded into pointless blather so much as the Register. And their Covid coverage of Disneyland is a prime example.

I feel badly for the Register, I really do. They are likely working with limited resources and a skeleton staff. I doubt they will even exist by 2025.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Again it wasn't meant to be taken as gospel on what was going to happen. Just an interesting take on how based on the guidelines released on Friday Disneyland could potentially reopen. This of course doesn't mean Disney is going to follow this. But this along with other tidbits of rumblings surrounding activity at the Parks provides a bit of hope. Something which I believe most of us need right now.

So yes we're still waiting on Newsom as we have been for all these months. But it doesn't hurt to have a bit of hope.

My best guess is the soonest we'll hear something is on the 8th when they do the first evaluation of all the counties. That is likely when OC moves to Red. So would potentially be a good time to release the Parks guidelines. Hopefully that happens, but of course we'll see.

Tamandua

I have to laugh... after all the "covid is more severe than the flu" arguments I've heard, I just read a story in the wall street journal about efforts to ramp up testing capacity for flu season because it's going to be difficult to tell the difference between the two. You can't make this stuff up.

lazyboy97o

I have to laugh... after all the "covid is more severe than the flu" arguments I've heard, I just read a story in the wall street journal about efforts to ramp up testing capacity for flu season because it's going to be difficult to tell the difference between the two. You can't make this stuff up.
Presenting with similar symptoms has no bearing on severity. Lots of different conditions of radically differing severity have similar symptoms.

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
Interesting.. so in the question area of Newsom’s guidelines on the California covid.gov site, there is a Q&A section. To spark discussion, I’d like to include it here:

Question: “Why can some activities and businesses open while others have to stay closed?”

Response: “Activities and businesses that have a lower risk of spreading COVID-19 are allowed to open sooner. Higher-risk activities or businesses aren’t allowed until later tiers. An activity or business’s tier depends on whether it can:

Accommodate mask wearing at all times (for example, eating and drinking requires removing masks)
Allow physical distance between individuals from different households
Limit the number of people per square foot
Limit time that an individual is at the business or activity
Limit time of exposure
Limit mixing of people from different households
Limit amount of physical interactions of visitors/patrons
Increase airflow (such as operating outdoors or opening windows and doors)
Limit activities that are known to increase virus spread (like singing, shouting and heavy breathing)”

Do you think Disneyland can abide by these? Frankly, I think WDW and others have done a great job regulating these. I’m sure the California theme park committees are using those as examples on why they should be able to reopen here. In fact, I would imagine a correlation of increased closure with increased shouting 😂

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Sorry my friend, rumors of a private jet are vastly over-stated. Somehow my Delta SkyMiles account was misconstrued as a Gulfstream G600. :oops:

And as I have a family vacation house to stay in here in San Diego County, which is already Red and heading quickly towards Orange, I'll be staying here until Purple OC at least gets to go to Red, after Sacramento has a dynamic conversation about it and gives OC ten swift spanks for talking back to their betters.

So no runs up to the Commerce outlet mall in LA for me any time soon, I'm afraid.

I got distracted by the colors.

What's your tail number? Need to track your flight in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom