NuOrbis Brainstorming Thread - Project Seven: A Splash of Placemaking

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
New name pitch: Considering that the real-life Bayou of New Orleans is called "Bayou Country", why not rename Critter Country after that? At the very least, we would be able to retain the mini-land aspect of it and the word "Country" (paying homage to the predecessor), while still being able to connect it to New Orleans Square.

Here are two logos I designed for it. The first one is based on the logo for Critter Country and the second one is based on new-ish logo for New Orleans Square (as used in the Bayou Bash banner). Whereas the New Orleans Square logo leans more on purple, I decided to lean more on green for Bayou Country to juxtapose the two. I was tempted to add the wrought-iron curlicues/vines, but I think it might be a bit too much.

Logo copy.png

Logo2.png

Welcome to Bayou Country — the newest land in the Disneyland Resort and the very edge of New Orleans! Explore hidden worlds beyond the marshland and experience the magic of this lush Southern landscape. From joining Princess Tiana and Louis the Alligator on a riverboat adventure for their first-ever Mardi Gras performance to going on a wild gator chase, there's so much to do down here in the swamps.​

Last edited:

AceAstro

New name pitch: Considering that the real-life Bayou of New Orleans is called "Bayou Country", why not rename Critter Country after that? At the very least, we would be able to retain the mini-land aspect of it and the word "Country" (paying homage to the predecessor), while being able to connect it to New Orleans Square.

Here are two logos I designed for it. The first one is based on the logo for Critter Country and the second one is based on new-ish logo for New Orleans Square (as used in the Bayou Bash banner). Whereas New Orleans Square leans more on purple, I decided to lean more on green to juxtapose the two. I was tempted to add the wrought-iron curlicues/vines, but I think it might be a bit too much.

View attachment 482111
View attachment 482120

Welcome to Bayou Country — the newest land in the Disneyland Resort and the very edge of New Orleans! Explore hidden worlds beyond the marshland and experience the magic of this lush Southern landscape. From joining Princess Tiana and Louis the Alligator on a riverboat adventure for their first-ever Mardi Gras performance to going on a wild gator chase, there's so much to do down here in the swamps.​
I love the name!

AceAstro

Alright so here is everything we need to do:

Introduction:
Bayou Country expansion overview (how the land will look, etc.):
Shops: @Sharon&Susan
Explorer Canoes fixes:
Pooh attraction change:
Concept art: @Outbound
Presentation:

I know there are more things there than people on the team but a lot of them are short write-ups so can easily do 2 if needed. It doesn't matter to me what I do so I will let @montydysquith-navarro and @gam3rprincess pick first

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
Alright so here is everything we need to do:

Introduction:
Bayou Country expansion overview (how the land will look, etc.):
Shops: @Sharon&Susan
Explorer Canoes fixes:
Pooh attraction change:
Concept art: @Outbound
Presentation:

I know there are more things there than people on the team but a lot of them are short write-ups so can easily do 2 if needed. It doesn't matter to me what I do so I will let @montydysquith-navarro and @gam3rprincess pick first
I kinda made an introduction for the BC expansion (found underneath the logos) already, so I guess I can take that. Maybe the expansion overview as well, but I think we should focus our efforts on that since that's what the prompt requires (especially the scenic transitions and placemaking). Pooh can just be a last-minute job I think.

Also, sorry for adding more work, but I think we also have to address the Food and Drinks situation (currently: Hungry Bear, Harbour Gallery, the food stands). I'm not sure if we have to do a backstory for BC since NOS itself doesn't even have one (except it's Mardi Gras everyday).

Outbound

I kinda made an introduction for the BC expansion (found underneath the logos) already, so I guess I can take that. Maybe the expansion overview as well, but I think we should focus our efforts on that since that's what the prompt requires (especially the scenic transitions and placemaking). Pooh can just be a last-minute job I think.

Also, sorry for adding more work, but I think we also have to address the Food and Drinks situation (currently: Hungry Bear, Harbour Gallery, the food stands). I'm not sure if we have to do a backstory for BC since NOS itself doesn't even have one (except it's Mardi Gras everyday).

I can take the Pooh ride!

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
If anyone here knows a horticulturalist, now's the time to use them for their plant knowledge.

From a cursory Google search, the most common trees in a Louisiana bayou are cypress and tupelo trees, which I don't think are endemic to California (varieties of cypress are available though, but to my untrained eye doesn't resemble the ones in Louisiana/the South). I think the last thing we should do is to upset the local ecosystem (which could cost us realism points), so advice from a horticulturalist who's familiar with the Californian environment is appreciated. We need a Bill Evans who managed to make a lush jungle all-year-round (even in wintertime) in Paris.

AceAstro

You are 100% right about food (I knew I was forgetting something) so I can take that. Harbour Galley will become a gumbo stand (since they do soup anyways) and Hungry Bear will get a new name and food (but already kinda fits the theme)

Sharon&Susan

Wrote the first description for the store that replaces the Briar Patch:
Prince Naveen’s Cabin: A vacation home for Naveen and Tiara whenever they visit Mama Odie. The naturalistic lodging reminds them of how they first fell in love. For this year’s Mardi Gras Naveen has opened it up to all selling royal exports from Maldonia (such as replicas of Tiana and Naveen’ royal garments, tiaras, crowns, and makeup).

Their cottage includes a stone chimney which has a painting of their wedding where they transformed back into humans. Prickly stems come out of the ceiling and contrasts the man-made wooden walls. Wooden carvings above the doors honor their companions with Ray and Louie both having their own separate portrait.

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
I'm not sure if @Outbound is doing his own research on how will NOS-BC look, but here's my initial idea.

I thought of the Blue Bayou restaurant when I was coming up for a look for Bayou Country. Since we're strengthening the New Orleans Square-Bayou Country connection, I thought why not replicate the atmosphere of Blue Bayou to the actual outside world? We can use this as the base for our environmental design and change it up by making it more rustic/nature-y.
BlueBayouRestaurant-ChillinFood-01.jpg

Instead of hanging Chinese lanterns, we can opt for those exposed bulb hanging fixtures. Instead of fully cemented walkways, we can swap some of it for "elevated wooden walkways" made from individual "wooden planks" (actually made from concrete of course; guest and cast safety first!).

AceAstro

I'm not sure if @Outbound is doing his own research on how will NOS-BC look, but here's my initial idea.

I thought of the Blue Bayou restaurant when I was coming up for a look for Bayou Country. Since we're strengthening the New Orleans Square-Bayou Country connection, I thought why not replicate the atmosphere of Blue Bayou to the actual outside world? We can use this as the base for our environmental design and change it up by making it more rustic/nature-y.
BlueBayouRestaurant-ChillinFood-01.jpg

Instead of hanging Chinese lanterns, we can opt for those exposed bulb hanging fixtures. Instead of fully cemented walkways, we can swap some of it for "elevated wooden walkways" made from individual "wooden planks" (actually made from concrete of course; guest and cast safety first!).
I love this idea! Expand the wood and feeling of "raised" areas to protect from the high waters of the bayou

Outbound

You are 100% right about food (I knew I was forgetting something) so I can take that. Harbour Galley will become a gumbo stand (since they do soup anyways) and Hungry Bear will get a new name and food (but already kinda fits the theme)

A suggestion for the Hungry Bear: don't go Creole or Cajun. There is a ton of those restaurants already in NOS. We will need some other type of cuisine... maybe traditional South, suggesting we starting to transition out of the Bayou?

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
I love this idea! Expand the wood and feeling of "raised" areas to protect from the high waters of the bayou
We can also redress the river in the Winnie the Pooh queue so it would look more like an overgrown bayou. Probably raise the water level a bit more?
jabebvf13ac21.jpg

I think the covered bridge (entrance to the Winnie the Pooh ride) would have to go though, since it's more New England than Louisiana.

AceAstro

We can also redress the river in the Winnie the Pooh queue so it would look more like an overgrown bayou. Probably raise the water level a bit more?
jabebvf13ac21.jpg

I think the covered bridge (entrance to the Winnie the Pooh ride) would have to go though, since it's more New England than Louisiana.
Raising the water there is a good call since I’m sure it connects to RoA anyways. Gives us a good dynamic part of the area as well!

AceAstro

A suggestion for the Hungry Bear: don't go Creole or Cajun. There is a ton of those restaurants already in NOS. We will need some other type of cuisine... maybe traditional South, suggesting we starting to transition out of the Bayou?
Good call! I’ll look into some cuisine options tonight!

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
Hm, but isn't NOS' restaurants more Creole than Cajun? I might be wrong though.

But yeah, traditional southern food (or even soul food from Mississippi) sounds great! Some of the bayous of New Orleans are part of the Mississippi River Delta anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom