Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanfze55

I've never been to Disneyland so I can't say how well the re-theme fits the ride's location there, but it makes no sense in Orlando's Frontierland. It just reeks of lazy, condescending, pandering. I don't care that they're taking away the current theme, but why not give Tiana her own new attraction in Fantasyland where it makes sense? If space isn't available for that, how about something in the American Pavillion in Epcot? As the plans stand now, you'll go from the river and Tom Sawyer Island past Big Thunder Mountain to get to a ride that's supposed to take place in the "frontier" of 1920s Louisiana. The era and geography make no sense and Disney is now "honoring" their first Black princess by giving her an attraction that's just a new overlay on an existing ride. But at least the Twitter mob will be placated, I guess.

Much as I hate this - It will fit well in Disneyland. Just a football field or so away from Splash Mountain is New Orleans Square.

ChiGuy4Now

I wonder if Tokyo's version will stay as is.

It is the best version of the ride and would help lessen the blow of the other two going away.

Completely agree with you. The TDL Splash is the best of the bunch and their New Orleans-themed area is a distance from Splash there. If they were to retheme their attraction, they'd really need to find some other property or go original with the theme.

The_Jobu

This isn't my "if Disney messes with it, I'm done with them" ride. Mine is ToT. So I can sympathize with the anger a lot of people are feeling who did have Splash as their "untouchable", even though I'm not feeling the same anger.

Such a shame.

rk03221

This one stings. Splash Mountain is possibly my favorite ride in the world. I was okay with the changes to Pirates, because at least the ride still existed.

Social media has officially ruined society. The loudest 1% of people ruining everything. Mob mentality.

Will I ever return to a Disney Park? Nope, not WDW. I may give DL another try, as the new ride will fit well within New Orleans Square. But the ride still has to be good. If this ends up being “Watch a screen while you ride in a flume,” I’m done for good.

Social media ruined the internet in general. It’s sad because a lot of these SJW are trolls who are just trying to people off. But it’s also the fault of corporations for giving in to them

lebeau

He should rephrase

Just because someone finds something offensive doesn't mean it's actually problematic. Some people are just easily offended.

Some people are easily offended. But when enough people express their feelings that something is offensive, we should pause to consider their feelings.

My wife showed me this petition a week ago. My response "Uncle Remus isn't in the ride." I don't find Splash Mountain offensive, but I am sympathetic to anyone who does. Changing the theme does nothing to harm the attraction which will remain an exciting flume ride. If it's done well, it may make it more relevant. If Disney bungles the execution, well, that's a different issue. Time will tell.

Dutch Inn '76

THE CASTLE that stands at the center of most Disney Parks reminds us of the serfs we all used to be, and still are if we're honest with ourselves. There was one King, a few Lords, and millions of oppressed subjects. How dare they rub that in our faces!

WDWRR and BTMRR: Railroads were built by slaves and exploited poor people from America, Ireland and Asia. They actually paid the Irish in whiskey! What a terrible stereotype! Those rides have to go.

Anything to do with Beauty and the Beast: It's an ancient tale promoting the idea of arranged marriages between young girls and older men. Gotta go!

Snow White: "Someday my prince will come?!?!?!?" Not very woke...

Dumbo: Undoubtedly the most racist segment of any Disney feature, including SotS, is the crow sequence of Dumbo - yet, there's Dumbo, spinning round and round in most Disney Parks.

Frontierland Shootin' Arcade: OMG! GUNS!!

Alice In Wonderland / Tea Cups: The Caterpillar is blatantly doing drugs, right there on screen. WHAT?!? The Mad Hatter is MAD because of the chemicals he must use to make innocent animal skins into hats! The vanity! The outrage!

POTC: Really??? Glorifying PIRATES??? They traded in slaves with or without the Redhead! They raped and killed!

Haunted Mansion: So let me get this straight. We're promoting to young girls that the only way to get ahead is to marry rich men, kill them, then do it again and again???

Peter Pan: The "natives" are portrayed as ignorant savages! Shocking!

Carousel of "Progress" - how long will the women have to work while the man sits and talks??

I could keep on - stereotypes in the Tiki Room, Tom Sawyer, Aladdin, Small World, Swiss Family Robinson, Tarzan, Little Mermaid... It looks like Disney just needs to liquidate and distribute all of it's dirty money to shareholders...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom