WDW Reopening Estimates

When will WDW theme parks reopen to guests?

• May

Votes: 34 3.0%
  • June

Votes: 424 37.3%
  • July

Votes: 287 25.2%
  • August

Votes: 124 10.9%
  • September or even later in 2020

Votes: 269 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I think Disney is and should be taking a leaf out of the Apple playbook - do it right, not rush to be first.

Apple's arrogance also hurt them as well. They've made numerous tactical mistakes because of their arrogance. Remember when they decided not go from 3G to LTE with iPhone 4? Better yet remember when Apple lectured users about holding the phone wrong to get proper signal?

Full disclosure I'm a total Apple Fanboy. But their conservative/arrogant approach to changes is infuriating. And then when they think they do something so well, behold you get their butterfly keyboard.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Ok, do some homework on how WDW's arrogance with regards to USO and HP cost them dearly and transformed USO from a minor competitor to a major player.
Before go off with that, while Universal did indeed grow their share of the Orlando market (after a decade of decline) following Harry Potter, Disney still owns 70% of the major park (DIS/UNI/SEA) market share in Orlando. Last year UNI were only 1.2% share higher than they were back in 2003 when their long decline began. Look at the facts, not the emotions.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Apple's arrogance also hurt them as well. They've made numerous tactical mistakes because of their arrogance. Remember when they decided not go from 3G to LTE with iPhone 4? Better yet remember when Apple lectured users about holding the phone wrong to get proper signal?

Full disclosure I'm a total Apple Fanboy. But their conservative/arrogant approach to changes is infuriating. And then when they think they do something so well, behold you get their butterfly keyboard.
Yeah, that's worked out horribly for Apple hasn't it.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
One big thing for me is, I don't know how they get guests from TTC to MK in a "physically distant" manner.
1590091017196.png

Who wants to take a nice little tram ride up World Drive?

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Yeah, that's worked out horribly for Apple hasn't it.
It allowed their competitors to stake a serious claim at a market that Apple held dominance in. While I think Apple makes superior devices, their slip-ups and arrogance have cost them marketshare and allowed their competitors to grow.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Before go off with that, while Universal did indeed grow their share of the Orlando market (after a decade of decline) following Harry Potter, Disney still owns 70% of the major park (DIS/UNI/SEA) market share in Orlando. Last year UNI were only 1.2% share higher than they were back in 2003 when their long decline began. Look at the facts, not the emotions.
If WDW hadn’t messed up their Potter proposal there might not be a UO today to compete with / compliment.

Disstevefan1

I think we all can agree, in the competition between Disney and Universal - Its the guest that always WINS!!

RaveOnEd

Given Universal's reopening date, I'm thinking WDW will have some form of soft openings the week after (June 7), with reduced-capacity opening starting June 14 or so. Just a wild guess.

donsullivan

Premium Member
If WDW hadn’t messed up their Potter proposal there might not be a UO today to compete with / compliment.
A true statement. It's just important to keep in mind that the relative share of the (albeit growing) market really hasn't changed all that much over the last couple decades. Universal's huge climb post Potter came after a long slump that ended in 2009. Disney was at 71% in 2000 and 70% in 2018. UNI was at 21% in 2000 and 24.5% in 2018. Almost 3% of that UNI share came from SeaWorld

Last edited:

mhaftman7

Look at the new cases in Florida today, US is still averaging over 20,000 new cases a day. I personally would not be comfortable going to a theme park in 2 weeks.
You know what, there is nothing wrong with this stand point. No one should go if they don’t feel comfortable.

It does, however, make more room for the rest of us. Heh heh. (Jk jk jk)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
A true statement. It's just important to keep in mind that the relative share of the (albeit growing) market really hasn't changed all that much over the last couple decades. Universal's huge climb post Potter came after a long slump that ended in 2009. Disney was at 71% in 2000 and 70% in 2018. UNI was at 21% in 2000 and 24.5% in 2018. Almost 3% of that UNI share came from SeaWorld
If only Disney could match the market share with actual capacity...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom