The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

The overnight is until the national emergency is over. He's not going to do 7 nights. Maybe 6 once in a while but never 7. Her has enough seniority pull off only going in 5 and not doing any extra hours, but he's going to take some every week. edit a few of the younger single guys will try and do 7 days a week. No kids, no pets, no social life no problem
Are they so short-staffed? People NEED a break once in a while. If you get overburdened with work, productivity goes down, not to mention the immune system at a time when it needs to be at its strongest. I hope they know what they are doing.

FutureCEO

After a Jeopardy question which I answered because of Hamilton, I explained to my parents how the US Capital was established in DC, also because of Hamilton.

Now I'm trying to explain that I didn't learn US history entirely from Hamilton.

I know the US defeated the British and I love the British but the Revolution is the best part of America history. I like the old fashioned wars.

I never saw Hamilton and don't want to. Apparently, there is a show on Broadway coming called 1776 :rolleyes:. I'm really not a big fan of Broadway. Most shows to me are not very interesting.

There was a mini-series called Sons of Liberty on The History Channel. It was great - a little faster pace history wise then I would have liked, but it was only for one season.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I think it is more a generational thing. Some are adapting to it better than other like my DD boss who is 60.

My adult kids one a millennial one not though only 5 years apart in age have adapted well to video meetings vs in person. It is the aging that seem to have the most problems adapting and gripes according to what they are sharing and some having a difficult time rolling with it an adapting. My kids grew up with IMing questions on all fronts including homework and touching base. They both in middle school worked on video laptop presentations live. Me we had a weird thing that connected to a mainframe with huge circular tapes to SAVE.

Both my kids jobs have IMing software and the ability to talk to their co workers via their laptops and headset. It is normal to them.

my son has decided to return home during his work Remote. Safety in family vs alone as has his girlfriend. Video makes it seamless for his line of work. He is working with2 of his employees to make a hiring video to hit social media that they are hiring presently which is a notion lost on many given our counties circumstances. 3 people working together via video remotely. I find the youth remarkable given the circumstance. They quickly adapt

my Dd firm where she is a computer engineer doesn’t do video. Ever. They do voice and screen sharing. They are all engineers and comfy with tech. Today she multitasked and built a new app for those in the field while in A 3 hour meeting. She is great at multitasking.

Her firm a fortune 100 went remote before any state went shelter In place. They are above and beyond critically essential. The firm had the insight to not have all of their employees go down together and to separate them. If the firm goes down so does Illinois and 4 states on the east coast and WDC.

their attitude from being displaced is Let’s Roll. Youth. A challenge to them.

me I get tired watching them
I want to interject a thought here concerning the age of non-tech savvy in the start up. Let me let everyone into a secret. Those of us over 60 and way over 60 have a tendency to want to maintain a certain amount of dignity appropriate with our age. It isn't so much that we don't accept the new stuff it is more that we don't know how to operate the new stuff. Everyone should try and remember that it was the younger version of our old selves that were in the upstart of the technical age. We operated the first computers while the rest of you were watching Sesame Street or just a sparkle in your parents eyes. And remember it was an entirely new concept back then, but we accepted the magic and learned how to operate and make it function to our benefit. If we hadn't you would still be using a dial phone mounted on the kitchen wall.

The problem is pride! Things then were simpler. When I was in college computers were operated via punch cards, programming involved a grid of wires randomly stuck in places on the mother boards. (I don't remember if that is what they were called back then) Calculators didn't even exist until the space age. You guys invented a new form of tech language that we aren't familiar with and it is hard for us to injure our pride by asking what the hell everyone is talking about, so we shrug our shoulders and say... Oh, I can't deal with that new technology. If the terminology would have been either kept simple or, at the very least explained in basic English (or whatever language is of your choice) we would be right there with you younger folks. In other words we would be able to be right in the thick of technology if anyone would have bothered to not ridicule us for not knowing current terms or phrases and making us feel like idiots for asking what you folks consider to be basic, duh, questions. Show us in a non-condescending manner how things are done and until we go senile we will stay tech savvy. At a certain point we prefer to be proud old people instead of the source of entertainment for the current group of future old people.

Just for comparison, when I was in the service our main frame filled a room the size of my current apartment, about 1000 square feet. Today it can sit on a desk top or in a laptop or phone and can accomplish more then the big ones did. Yet, we made them function, with a lot more steps then today's and drove them into what we currently have. Up until recent years the boomers were responsible for the technology that is today's norm. Somewhere we went off the track, but we were pioneers in the truest sense.

Last edited:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
The overnight is until the national emergency is over. He's not going to do 7 nights. Maybe 6 once in a while but never 7. Her has enough seniority pull off only going in 5 and not doing any extra hours, but he's going to take some every week. edit a few of the younger single guys will try and do 7 days a week. No kids, no pets, no social life no problem
Are they so short-staffed? People NEED a break once in a while. If you get overburdened with work, productivity goes down, not to mention the immune system at a time when it needs to be at its strongest. I hope they know what they are doing.

Hopefully they'll take the eighth day off! In the Army it was not abnormal for us to pull 12 day work weeks, but they really sucked. Everyone got so sluggish and hated their lives.

When we first got to Iraq we worked straight through with no days off for about 3.5 months. People started fighting and things got really bad. Once one of our guys pulled his gun on another one of our guys, they finally started giving us a half day off each week to decompress. Which thankfully turned into a full day off each week for the remainder of our deployment.

People need to rest. We aren't built to work non-stop. Even when we're young and have no wife and kids.

BAChicagoGal

Lots of people are bored. Since I am used to being home all the time, I am never bored. I have lots of hobbies. Lots of chores around the house that I should be doing. Chicago's temps have been so high, that I can even start doing yard work. We really had a mild Winter. So I see an early Spring. The Robins have been present for a long while already.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Lots of people are bored. Since I am used to being home all the time, I am never bored. I have lots of hobbies. Lots of chores around the house that I should be doing. Chicago's temps have been so high, that I can even start doing yard work. We really had a mild Winter. So I see an early Spring. The Robins have been present for a long while already.

I was watching an HGTV show about remodeling and selling houses in Chicago, and I was absolutely FLOORED by the pricing on these homes!! Little houses the size of my tiny house were selling for over a million dollars. It was insane!

StarWarsGirl

I've never seen Hamilton. I have learned a lot of revolutionary war history from the Outlander series, though.
Still working my way through Fiery Cross. That thing is long. 😂

I also read the biography of Hamilton which they based the musical off of. So learned a good bit from that. The musical covers history starting at 1776 and then covers a good bit of post revolution America, which I feel like wasn't covered in school as well as the actual war and the events leading up to it.

But it's like, especially when I'm watching Jeorpardy, there's a question asked, and it doesn't matter where I first learned it; if there's a lyric in the musical there, it pops in my head. Yesterday I was explaining the establishment of DC as the Capital over New York City based on a song from Hamilton. Who knows if I actually learned that in school, but I can run through the song in my head and tell you details, along with what I read in the biography.

StarWarsGirl

I'm really not a big fan of Broadway. Most shows to me are not very interesting.
7f1.gif

StarWarsGirl

I know the US defeated the British and I love the British but the Revolution is the best part of America history. I like the old fashioned wars.

I never saw Hamilton and don't want to. Apparently, there is a show on Broadway coming called 1776 :rolleyes:. I'm really not a big fan of Broadway. Most shows to me are not very interesting.

There was a mini-series called Sons of Liberty on The History Channel. It was great - a little faster pace history wise then I would have liked, but it was only for one season.
This may be the best part of Hamilton. Oh, you learn nothing from it, but it's hilarious

This cover is amazing. 😂

Songbird76

Still working my way through Fiery Cross. That thing is long. 😂

I also read the biography of Hamilton which they based the musical off of. So learned a good bit from that. The musical covers history starting at 1776 and then covers a good bit of post revolution America, which I feel like wasn't covered in school as well as the actual war and the events leading up to it.

But it's like, especially when I'm watching Jeorpardy, there's a question asked, and it doesn't matter where I first learned it; if there's a lyric in the musical there, it pops in my head. Yesterday I was explaining the establishment of DC as the Capital over New York City based on a song from Hamilton. Who knows if I actually learned that in school, but I can run through the song in my head and tell you details, along with what I read in the biography.
You know, we always learned we gained our independence on July 4th, so I always assumed that was when the war ended. I had no idea that was just the pre-show! But I also think it's weird that the history books say July 4th when the Continental Congress actually voted for Independence on July 2nd. The Declaration of Independence's final draft was approved on the 4th, but it wasn't signed all in one session and it wasn't signed until August 2nd. So basically everything I learned in school was wrong! I don't know why the history books don't get it right.

StarWarsGirl

You know, we always learned we gained our independence on July 4th, so I always assumed that was when the war ended. I had no idea that was just the pre-show! But I also think it's weird that the history books say July 4th when the Continental Congress actually voted for Independence on July 2nd. The Declaration of Independence's final draft was approved on the 4th, but it wasn't signed all in one session and it wasn't signed until August 2nd. So basically everything I learned in school was wrong! I don't know why the history books don't get it right.
Yeah. And they act like we declared independence and automatically had our ducks in a row after the war. Well, no.

And then now when people argue politics and they bring the founding fathers in the mix about what they would have wanted and what they set up. The founding fathers couldn't agree on anything either, and some of their ideas, namely if the states had more powers, would have ultimately been detrimental, and if we didn't have the banking system that Hamilton wanted, which Thomas Jefferson, who is idolized, really didn't, then we'd have an entirely different economy. Not to mention many of them were in favor of slavery. Yeah, don't idolize them.

21stamps

@ajrwdwgirl and @SteveBrickNJ ,

T’s teachers (all teachers at the school) are having an inservice day both Monday and Tuesday. They’re going to be taking a class on Zoom and Google Classroom, and also determining how to best move forward with their lesson plans.

Has your principals organized anything like this? I know some of our teachers were struggling more than others with the technology. It’s tough on the parents because we have to look so many different places for assignments right now, and also the kids really need more online video classes with the teachers and classmates.

They will be addressing this and streamlining it after their workshops.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom