What's Still On and What's Now Off

havoc315

I've been saying basically the same thing. BUT...you can be asymptomatic and spread infection...which leads me to think (and I could be totally wrong) that everyone wearing masks at places with lots of people would be better than none.

that’s why they mandate mask wearing in parts of China, Japan... and why they have the disease well controlled.
The curve has been very flat in Japan. Other than closing mass gatherings, they aren’t really social distancing. Most businesses and restaurants are open.

LSLS

that’s why they mandate mask wearing in parts of China, Japan... and why they have the disease well controlled.
The curve has been very flat in Japan. Other than closing mass gatherings, they aren’t really social distancing. Most businesses and restaurants are open.

What expert is saying mandated masks have controlled the disease? Every single one I have read have said testing and quick quarantine. If some of the potential cures come to fruition, MAYBE they can open up early. But they aren't opening quickly with mask requirements. You may want to read up on mask production. It's not NEARLY as simple/quick as you want to think it is, hence why hospitals can't get them (let alone a theme park).

celluloid

Not anymore.
What expert is saying mandated masks have controlled the disease? Every single one I have read have said testing and quick quarantine. If some of the potential cures come to fruition, MAYBE they can open up early. But they aren't opening quickly with mask requirements. You may want to read up on mask production. It's not NEARLY as simple/quick as you want to think it is, hence why hospitals can't get them (let alone a theme park).

Thank you for posting this. Fact first emotion second.

And the Japan thing is misleading. It is not under as much "control" as many thought. Everyone thought their numbers are low. It has been coming out more now that the Olympics are not happening that some reports were withheld to try and keep them happening. Many in Japan are angry about it.

Last edited:

techgeek

I've been saying basically the same thing. BUT...you can be asymptomatic and spread infection...which leads me to think (and I could be totally wrong) that everyone wearing masks at places with lots of people would be better than none.

Interesting Washington Post story relevant to the mask debate. The CDC Is clearly laying the foundation for guidance on this sooner rather than later, and even to the point of encouraging homemade solutions.

havoc315

They aren't going to reopen the parks if masks are a requirement. Disney can modify their capacity levels, which rides are open etc. but they aren't going to dictate PPE requirements. People will just stay home until normalcy resumes.

... in that case, the parks will stay closed for 18 months. Which is unlikely.

havoc315

Actually, most experts are saying it
You're confusing 2 different things:
1 -- masks are useless when it's just a few healthy people wearing them. It won't protect a healthy wearer..
2 -- marks are helpful when widely adopted, as they prevent asymptomatic carriers from transmitting. They aren't a complete solution alone, but part of a solution when combined with other measures.

techgeek

They aren't going to reopen the parks if masks are a requirement. Disney can modify their capacity levels, which rides are open etc. but they aren't going to dictate PPE requirements. People will just stay home until normalcy resumes.

China is not Florida, and the Shanghai park is not yet even open for business... but they do have language requiring PPE (and far more extensive screening measures!) already in place for when they do reopen. From their english language landing page:

The resort will provide an extensive range of measures, designed to ensure a safe and healthy experience for all guests, Cast Members and Disneytown tenant employees, including strict and comprehensive approaches on sanitization, disinfection and cleanliness. In accordance with relevant regulations, every guest entering Shanghai Disney Resort will be required to undergo temperature screening procedures and present their Shanghai QR Code. Only guests with a green Shanghai QR Code will be allowed to enter the resort. Guests must wear a mask during their entire visit (except when dining), and will also be reminded to maintain respectful social distances at all times while in stores, queues and restaurants.

Jon81uk

Mask wearing is why the disease is under control in Japan.
In fact, you can do a direct comparison of countries using masks and those that aren’t. The disease spread is MUCH worse in non-mask countries.

Its not the only reason in Japan, they are naturally a lot more distant anyway and typically more people live alone. The masks may be helping but for most people who are not used to wearing them, they will make it worse.
Judging by people who walked past me today, I think a lot of them are scared their chin is going to catch it, a majority had pulled the mask down so it was not covering their nose. Many had the mask round their neck while smoking.
The reason Japan is doing well is much to do with other reasons.

Disstevefan1

lazyboy97o

As I said in the Disneyland thread, the wording does not make sense. Suspending/terminating a construction project is not considered a layoff. Buena Vista Construction Company does not do the major projects. Walt Disney Imagineering does use independent contractors who would be working on projects that are being paused and in the past people have described such contracts ending as layoffs.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Great. EPCOT Overhaul is doomed. Galactic Starcruiser doomed. With those now being defunded, it’s gonna be just cheesy, half-baked and incomplete. We got to raise that money. We were promised a massive Epcot transformation, but now that is ruined. That limping park needs that update. Too cheap now.
It is too soon to know what is going to happen - think we should hang on a little before declaring things ruined. (although some may argue the original plans were already ruining things lol)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom