Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuteSuperstar

The tide of scientific, public, and increasingly political opinion seems to have turned dramatically in the last 24 hours. There can be no logical way to justify keeping the parks open while closing workplaces, schools, sports venues, churches, and other large gathering places.

The clock is ticking.

Yeah I was just thinking if they're still open a week from today I will be very surprised. They just won't be able to fight this tide much longer.

Buried20KLeague

View attachment 455580

1. That's not 60-80%.

2. Even if those numbers are accurate (which currently this is being reported by a "source" and the offical office has had no response), it doesn't define a time period those cases occur in. 30 days? A year? 18 months? Till a vaccine is available? Till the virus is completely irradicated? Till the earth is hit by a currently unknown meteor that will all wipe us out overnight anyway?

3. The total number (whatever that may be over whatever time period this stat supposedly covers) will not be concurrent.

The same "source" said that the doctor said the vast majority of those "infected" will be fine, with some percentage of them never even knowing they were sick, and some larger percentage not feeling any different than a common cold.

This kind of story is fear-mongering and click-bait. It's why you can't find toilet paper (WHAT?!?!?!?!?). It's what could quite literally kill tens of thousands of businesses for no reason. It's what could put us into a Great Recession whether we deserved one or not.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Worth noting.... one must also consider the AIRPORTS.

We cancelled our APR trip. Still on for NOV, 2020. Everyone else will, of course, do what they wish to do.

PERSONAL opinion? WDW is about to get a major influx of out of state folks, due to Spring Break, and Easter. This might be a good time to shut down to avoid the sure to follow Lawsuits, regardless of merit. The plus side? WDW can lead - just as the Disney Family Museum, in San Francisco, has already done.

Now FL, and WDW will choose. So here is the deal.... if infected? Please STAY in FL. In fact, the airlines may very well mandate this :).

Last edited:

disneygeek90

The tide of scientific, public, and increasingly political opinion seems to have turned dramatically in the last 24 hours. There can be no logical way to justify keeping the parks open while closing workplaces, schools, sports venues, churches, and other large gathering places.

The clock is ticking.
Have any workplaces outside of heavily effected areas been closed? I work in Orlando and aside from a few emails from HR telling us that they are "monitoring" the virus, and adding hand sanitizers by the doors, and going through stricter practices for the cafeteria, there's been no other mumblings of working from home. I wouldn't expect that to happen if/until there are more cases around central Florida.

BoarderPhreak

Have any workplaces outside of heavily effected areas been closed? I work in Orlando and aside from a few emails from HR telling us that they are "monitoring" the virus, and adding hand sanitizers by the doors, and going through stricter practices for the cafeteria, there's been no other mumblings of working from home. I wouldn't expect that to happen if/until there are more cases around central Florida.
I would agree. Being that it is central FL though, you're seriously on borrowed time - given the volume of human traffic throughout the area.

disneygeek90

I would agree. Being that it is central FL though, you're seriously on borrowed time - given the volume of human traffic throughout the area.
I'm sure my frequenting the parks at least 2x a week doesn't do anything to help my odds, but I've stayed away from people as much as possible. I'm not going to shut down my daily life, but I am using precautions when in the parks even if that's just using lots of sanitizer and avoiding touching handrails and doors. Overall, the parks don't feel very different right now but the next few weeks should be quite telling.

ELG13

I don't have the ability to dig through everything but had anyone mentioned the WHO declared it a pandemic? My apologies for the repetition if it has been!

Lilofan

CNN reporting Trump may propose national emergency under the Stafford Act to free up aid.

Last edited:

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I don't have the ability to dig through everything but had anyone mentioned the WHO declared it a pandemic? My apologies for the repetition if it has been!

The WHO said this doesn’t change their assessment and what countries are currently supposed to be doing:

"We have never before seen a pandemic sparked by a coronavirus. And we have never before seen a pandemic that can be controlled at the same time.

Describing the situation as a pandemic does not change WHO's assessment of the threat posed by this coronavirus. It doesn't change what WHO is doing, and it doesn't change what countries should do."

BrianLo

Blatantly anecdotal - but I am not exactly seeing many FP+ being cancelled in May. DHS continues to have complete sell through of all tier one FP at the 60 day window.

Maybe the tides will turn, but so far the cancellations aren't showing up on one very limited index.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Blatantly anecdotal - but I am not exactly seeing many FP+ being cancelled in May. DHS continues to have complete sell through of all tier one FP at the 60 day window.

Maybe the tides will turn, but so far the cancellations aren't showing up on one very limited index.

I think people are seeing how things progress over the next month and a half. My family cancelled our trip for this month but we’re not exactly the most measured lot.

Sir_Cliff

it is a bit harder for international guests due to the cost/complexity of overseas trips. But I'm sure its happening.
My anecdotal evidence here in the Netherlands for everyone who has overseas trips booked is that most are planning to travel as normal but very conscious that they may have to quickly cancel or rebook. Airlines are letting everyone know that's an option, and everyone seems to be crossing their fingers that this is only going to be a short-term issue.

No-one I know seems willing to book any new travel and, honestly, the airlines don't seem to be offering low enough fares to encourage it.

Crunchie9

1583968770746.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom