Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

RobWDW1971

I always describe it this way...

Its like watching Star Wars and the movie just ends as the Death Star arrives at Yavin. The ride is a great buildup for an epic ending that never happens. You get this gorgeous story of the Navi coming together for a great musical celebration. The forest begins to come alive with movement and music, you turn a corner and see the Shaman singing and inviting you to join the celebration, you then enter...a virtually empty room, then you get off the ride.

Honestly, if they had that stupid last room filled with AAs, screens, movement and music, it would be a classic. As it stands, it feels like a story that that rises to nothing and is actually more disappointing than if they just didn't have a story.

Excellent post - if only WDI put the thought into the arc of the attraction that you did. Minimizing the criticism to “it’s just too short” misses the entire point of WDI not understanding the concept of a cohesive, meaningful experience.

It’s just one of the many reasons MFSR is such a disappointing creative failure. You have this incredible build up of the Falcon, entering the cockpit, etc. and the “adventure” is picking up some cans in the dark for some dude named Hondo. The whole is very much less than the sum of its parts.

And that is not budget cuts, Chapek, or Hurricane Dorian - that is just terrible storytelling.

ToTBellHop

@SWGalaxysEdge (Or anyone else in the know), with just over two weeks till the big day are the powers that be just planning to stand pat with the current 9-9 schedule? Seems crazy that we had over two months of (lightly attended) 6 AM openings and now would be the time to decide to be conservative with hours.
They are not certain RotR can run 13 hour days as scheduled, let alone 16 to 18 hour days. Imagine the embarrassment if they opened at 6 am without RotR. Unlike Hagrid, this would make national news.

ToTBellHop

Excellent post - if only WDI put the thought into the arc of the attraction that you did. Minimizing the criticism to “it’s just too short” misses the entire point of WDI not understanding the concept of a cohesive, meaningful experience.

It’s just one of the many reasons MFSR is such a disappointing creative failure. You have this incredible build up of the Falcon, entering the cockpit, etc. and the “adventure” is picking up some cans in the dark for some dude named Hondo. The whole is very much less than the sum of its parts.

And that is not budget cuts, Chapek, or Hurricane Dorian - that is just terrible storytelling.
I agree the attraction story is weak. One problem is that this attraction is part of Batuu as a whole. Once RotR opens, as the headliner, all the big characters are there. All that was left for MFSR is Chewie.

The ride DESPERATELY needs other missions.

Bender123

This is just the epitome of what is wrong with the rides, lately.

There are legit budget hampered rides/attractions...JII comes to mind first, followed by SE ending.

Then there are the ones where Imagineering dropped the story telling ball and make an excellent ride feel like a lesser ride. Nobody has ever called SE too short, yet it has the exact same problem as NRJ...The epic story and buildup leads to nothing. No epic send off, no look to the future as its displayed in the ride, no ending. Just a "get off now". Honestly, SE could have used the budget to spruce up the ending, but instead, they ripped it out. NRJ just doesn't end.

For further reference, lets look at other boat rides...PotC, IASW and Mexico.

Mexico: Story is Donald explores Mexico, fiends need him for a show, explore Mexico with hijinx, find Donald, Celebrate while the band plays.

IASW: Sail through all the nations of the world, the music is the same, but has its own flavor, the dolls dress uniquely and do their own cultural things. At the end, its a room where all the flavors of the music blend to make a new unique version of the song, the traditional costumes become basic colors that unify the theme and everyone from all over the world is united in song, while still maintaining their unique flavor that makes the whole.

Original PotC...ugh...they messed this one up: Set sail to see the dead pirates, shipwrecks and cursed plunder. Dive through a dark tunnel and arrive at a time when the pirates are searching for the treasure that cursed them. The city is attacked from the boat, the pirates land and take over the town, some pirates are captured and some find the treasure. The ending is a callback to the start, giving you the feeling that this isn't the first (and wont be the last) time the curse treasure will take the lives of some treasure hunters.

*the new pirates is just a mess...the beginning doesn't really matter, the pirates seem uninterested in anything not Sparrow, no pirates find the treasure except Sparrow and its not clear there was any ill effect to him finding it.

socalkdg

I agree the attraction story is weak. One problem is that this attraction is part of Batuu as a whole. Once RotR opens, as the headliner, all the big characters are there. All that was left for MFSR is Chewie.

There has to be more missions down the line. If they created this without the ability to add new missions then multiple heads need to roll. I had just figured with the movie coming out, ROTR coming out, that they would wait a couple years before they launch a new advertising campaign talking about the new missions for the Falcon. Once multiple missions are available, the ride becomes extremely rerideable.

hyro0o0

There has to be more missions down the line. If they created this without the ability to add new missions then multiple heads need to roll. I had just figured with the movie coming out, ROTR coming out, that they would wait a couple years before they launch a new advertising campaign talking about the new missions for the Falcon. Once multiple missions are available, the ride becomes extremely rerideable.
The story I heard about it (forgot where. here?) is that they planned 5 missions, then cut that down to 3, then used up their entire budget on one. So presumably they at least have the ability to add new missions. But it might be a while. Though if RotR doesn't sufficiently bolster Galaxy's Edge's traffic maybe they'll accelerate work on the next mission.

Disneyson

I imagine they won’t add any other missions until at least 75% of repeat visitors have experienced the first one... so, in my totally-guessing-mind,a good time after RotR opens. Or maybe they’ll do a Mandalorian-themed mission during the series finale, etc...

The thing about Star Wars is that you can lightspeed to really any planet, and (usually) planets still exist no matter when in the timeline you explore it. So, no matter what sequel/prequel series they put in Disney+, it would be easy to create some sort of a planet to explore on the Falcon.

Still, I’m waiting for the Midway Mania Holiday overlays...

SWGalaxysEdge

The story I heard about it (forgot where. here?) is that they planned 5 missions, then cut that down to 3, then used up their entire budget on one. So presumably they at least have the ability to add new missions. But it might be a while. Though if RotR doesn't sufficiently bolster Galaxy's Edge's traffic maybe they'll accelerate work on the next mission.

...yeh the 3 they had it down to are (1) Getting the coaxium (2) encountering a space monster (3) A podrace type mission
The problem (other than money) is the programming of the ride mechanics to sync with the action. Seems like it would be "easy" in technology terms with all the advancements we have these days, but again labor/money are the deciding factor.

(space monster concept art attached)

monster_falconride.png

wityblack

...yeh the 3 they had it down to are (1) Getting the coaxium (2) encountering a space monster (3) A podrace type mission
The problem (other than money) is the programming of the ride mechanics to sync with the action. Seems like it would be "easy" in technology terms with all the advancements we have these days, but again labor/money are the deciding factor.

(space monster concept art attached)

View attachment 427186
Would all of the missions be about smuggling something?

matt9112

Yeah, but by that logic, we’d never get anything cool or groundbreaking. What’s the point of new attractions if they’re not gonna give us things we haven’t seen before?

Balance. When they build something reliability and (B mode) should be baked in. Some rides do this some do not. My point is simply that reparing faulty effects is not TWDCs strong suit. How many rides feature things sinply turned off? Regular guests wouldn't even miss them. Things that coat too much to fix or are unreliable and thus cost too much to fix.

mickEblu

Phew! I couldn’t get myself to read the detailed description of the ride but I’m glad to hear it’s a real drop. This “controlled descent” thing I’ve been hearing was bumming me out. ROTR shouldn’t be less physically thrilling than POTC.

matt9112

Dont they already exsist? But you know thats something bob can say is new next year or the year after right? All about that money baby!

mickEblu

Yup and not to brag (well maybe a little) but I called it 2 months before it opened on the DL forum by piecing together the info at hand such as the grandeur of the Q/ Falcon, the 38 inch height requirement and the video game visuals. At the time I at least thought the interactivity for non pilot roles would be more engaging. I also thought the mission(s) would be a little less “on rails” and be a little more visually appealing than the gray/ dark Corellia. We step out of beige Batuu and into Gray Corellia. It’s like these imagineers had an agenda against color. There’s plenty of color in the SW universe.

Last edited:

Slov72

I imagine they won’t add any other missions until at least 75% of repeat visitors have experienced the first one... so, in my totally-guessing-mind,a good time after RotR opens. Or maybe they’ll do a Mandalorian-themed mission during the series finale, etc...

The thing about Star Wars is that you can lightspeed to really any planet, and (usually) planets still exist no matter when in the timeline you explore it. So, no matter what sequel/prequel series they put in Disney+, it would be easy to create some sort of a planet to explore on the Falcon.

Still, I’m waiting for the Midway Mania Holiday overlays...
Through the canon of Star Wars a lot of planets have been destroyed or irreparably damaged. Obviously Endor stands out with a Death Star crashing, or Alderaan being destroyed. I think even in canon Naboo has been really destroyed (might be wrong here but I believe it was part of Project Cinder).

RSoxNo1

2 alien planets we are meant to feel transported to while physically leaving the theme park. Each is meant to be a “real” place, not a movie set, so we hear animals as we walk, not music. CMs are meant to actually live in this place. Both had alien merchandise and food generated that were land-exclusive. 3 ride lands got cut to two—one headliner and one backup that receives a lot of complaints. Tons of rock work. In lieu of actual shows, guests are invited to “explore” the land, interacting with their surroundings.

SWGE is actually quite derivative of both Pandora and Hogsmeade (minus music).
I think quite a bit is made of the "attraction cuts" to lands like Pandora. We know full well that there were only two rides in development 5 years out. Just because someone conceived of a ride in a Blue Sky session doesn't mean approval. This isn't a situation like Galaxy's Edge where they showed us concept art for the 3rd ride or extra missions in Smugglers Run.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom