News The 'Disney Look' to be further relaxed at Walt Disney World

n2hifi

I mean, read the post above yours, that's the customer Disney is after in 2019. If the customer, I refuse to say guest anymore, doesn't care, why should TDO?
This seems to be more and more the case unfortunately. It seems the average customer is expecting 'Six Flags' with Mickey Mouse plastered on everything even though they are spending thousands of dollars.

Sandurz

It's truly amazing when one reads that cast members fighting for $15/hour, more working hours, complain about poor wages and barely paying their bills. However, some still can get their hair dyed, hair cut on a regular basis, manicure,pedicure on a regular basis, get tatoos, etc etc. And will be buying bracelets, gold and silver neck chains to accent their costumes.

A HAIRCUT on a regular basis? oh my god, the decadence. the splendor. That reminds me, I saw someone buy meat that wasn't on clearance with their food stamps the other day and I called the police.

John park hopper

I can remember the first time I was on a plane in 1959 flying to Florida with my mother, brother and sister must have been 10 years old every one including us kids were dressed like we were going to church. I can remember my first time going to WDW in 1972 and there were strict dress codes for Disney employees. The CM who cleaned the parks during the day were dressed in white uniforms. For better or worse codes of dress have changed drastically and most people really don't seem to care --- Disney is just going with the flow.

peter11435

I can remember the first time I was on a plane in 1959 flying to Florida with my mother, brother and sister must have been 10 years old every one including us kids were dressed like we were going to church. I can remember my first time going to WDW in 1972 and there were strict dress codes for Disney employees. The CM who cleaned the parks during the day were dressed in white uniforms. For better or worse codes of dress have changed drastically and most people really don't seem to care --- Disney is just going with the flow.
The CM’s who clean the parks during the day are still dressed in white uniforms (costumes).

StarWarsGirl

You guys do realize there is a difference (or used to be a difference) between your desk job and a CM who’s supposed to be on stage playing a role? Right?
Yes, but the point of my post, along with others, is that society as a whole is much more relaxed as far as appearance goes, and if I'm at work wearing jeans and sneakers, I'm not going to get offended because a CM has on a small necklace or bracelet. I think that will be true for many guests whereas it might not have been true 20 years ago.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Yes, but the point of my post, along with others, is that society as a whole is much more relaxed as far as appearance goes, and if I'm at work wearing jeans and sneakers, I'm not going to get offended because a CM has on a small necklace or bracelet. I think that will be true for many guests whereas it might not have been true 20 years ago.

What you and the others are missing, is that CMs are were supposed to be on stage. They are were part of the theme of the land.

Now, like I said, I don't particularly care. Disney isn't in that business anymore, the Galaxy Edge over-reach notwithstanding. If they want their Liberty Square Employees rocking Alex and Ani bracelets, that's fine by me.

lazyboy97o

First, who is talking about being offended? Second, what would be too much personal accessorizing?

Lilofan

A HAIRCUT on a regular basis? oh my god, the decadence. the splendor. That reminds me, I saw someone buy meat that wasn't on clearance with their food stamps the other day and I called the police.
The teenager down the street that gets weekly trim cuts from the $20 barber. That's what I meant. Take a chill..

_caleb

Cast Members are part of the “show,” but they’ve always been only minimally part of the theming. This is by design- the function of CMs is not just to help with immersion, but to be guides, hosts, and authorities.

A CM who is totally in character as a pirate, for example, might not be taken seriously when giving evacuation orders during an emergency. It would be confusing if a CM went from play-acting to enforcing park rules.

CM costumes are designed to establish them in these functions. They are on-theme, but also make them easy to identify, somewhat comfortable, safe, and don’t get in the way of CMs doing their jobs.

Not every policy change like this represents lowering of standards. Some of these are more inclusive of cultural and ethnic differences. Disney still has standards for appearance and behavior, and will continue to enforce a Look. The Look is just changing a bit.

Animaniac93-98

Cast Members are part of the “show,” but they’ve always been only minimally part of the theming. This is by design- the function of CMs is not just to help with immersion, but to be guides, hosts, and authorities.

A CM who is totally in character as a pirate, for example, might not be taken seriously when giving evacuation orders during an emergency. It would be confusing if a CM went from play-acting to enforcing park rules.

CM costumes are designed to establish them in these functions. They are on-theme, but also make them easy to identify, somewhat comfortable, safe, and don’t get in the way of CMs doing their jobs.

If this were truly an issue wouldn't it had been dealt with sooner instead of waiting 5 decades?

I'm also pretty sure being allowed to grow a beard doesn't change the Pirate costume.

Cmdr_Crimson

My prediction: Ten years from now, all non-entertainment CM's will be wearing red t-shirts and khakis, after Disney buys Target.
Ah you mean the "Six Flags One Park One Uniform" Method....
Image result for six flags uniform

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom