News The 'Disney Look' to be further relaxed at Walt Disney World

bsiev1977

So they're now Universal and no Fs are given. Got it. (-:

There is nothing wrong with clean cut. It makes the parks seem more professional. Whether you like it or not, a majority of society prefers a stereotypical professional look over, say, hot topic workers.
I have to respectfully disagree. I think most people don’t care about the “stereotypical professional look”.

bsiev1977

This expands their hiring pool. Unemployment in central florida is crazy low, so they can't afford to artificially limit it. It has no negative effect on guests and will likely make some CMs happy. Why on earth is this a 9 page debate?
Because lots of people on here like to bemoan how it’s not the “good ol’ days anymore” anytime anything changes

TrojanUSC

Frankly if you ask me the change a few years ago that allowed front-line managers to wear "camp shirts," as they call them, instead of a nice button down has a more deleterious effect on the overall employee aesthetics than a modern beard. Now when something goes wrong instead of dealing with a professional you're talking to Jimmy Buffet. It was disappointing.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Frankly if you ask me the change a few years ago that allowed front-line managers to wear "camp shirts," as they call them, instead of a nice button down has a more deleterious effect on the overall employee aesthetics than a modern beard. Now when something goes wrong instead of dealing with a professional you're talking to Jimmy Buffet. It was disappointing.
Jimmy Buffet works at Disney 😳😳😳

Times must be hard .

Goofyernmost

The whole point of the Disney look was so that cast members didn't "detract" from the show and become the show themselves. Examples of this would be unshaven beatniks in the 50s and hippies in the late 60s with long beards and hair. Alas, as time has gone on what we consider "appropriate" has changed drastically, along with a far more diverse workforce, comprised of people from many different nationalities and religions. Frankly the Disney Look was originally designed when the on-stage workforce was mostly white Anglo-Saxons.

Disney, as a progressive employer, must work to ensure the needs of their business are met without being too regressive in their Disney Look policies and continuing to embrace diversity in their workforce.

Complicating this is the fact the company has drastically underpaid its theme park employees and exhausted the labor pool in central Florida, which has resulted in a more dire need for talent and this has led to a relaxing of some standards with time (ie cornrows and goatees became allowed in the early aughts).

The policy has ALWAYS applied to on-stage, working cast only - not creative executives. Walt himself had a mustache when they weren't allowed per the Disney Look. He thought he looked "debonaire" with one.
When Joe is giving a talk or doing a documentary in behalf of the Walt Disney Company about attractions, etc. he is literally on stage. You don't get more onstage then a national audience. Walt did look debonair which is exactly what I am saying. If having the cute little mustache was a good look why did he think it was so terrible on everyone else. Don't do as I do, do as I say type of leadership? Was there anyone in the entire Disney organization more on stage the Walt Disney? Wasn't he the primary conveyor of image? Walt was a great person that gave all of us a lot of entertainment through the years, but he had some blatant double standards. In his defense though, I have to feel that Joe's earlobe dragging would have stopped before it began if Walt were still in charge. Unless, his job did not require him to be seen by any outsider at all, even then I don't think it would have been allowed. Sadly, it is that type of prejudice that would have cost Walt a very talented imagineer completely based on looks.

Even though I really don't care if Joe has the paperweight hanging from his ear, he is a very talented fellow. That said, however, whenever I see him speaking my focus goes directly to that ear. It's like a spotlight shining in your eyes. It really does take my concentration away from what he is saying and just centers it on his ear. Good look or bad look, all depends on the individual doing the viewing.

Lilofan

Camp shirts to camouflage the obesity problem in our country?

Goofyernmost

The comparison is made because that is exactly how it is conceived. Themed entertainment is another storytelling medium.
As long as pointing the direction to the bathrooms or asking how many in your party or cleaning up a protein spill is part of the story I fail to see what difference it makes. Walt had that mustache and he kept it trimmed to look acceptable. They still have the authority to dictate how those beards or mustaches have to look to maintain decorum. No different then making sure everyone is clean shaven everyday. A lot more is being made of this then is necessary.

Just as an example of how far behind they are, I have had a full, trimmed beard so long that my 43 and 45 year old children don't remember seeing me without a beard. They were about 2 or 4 when I grew it out. Yet, I was able to support my family and myself in jobs that were very public with no problems or even a mention about it. It has taken Disney a long time to realize that the world has changed, sadly not always for the better.

Fable McCloud

I feel like many cast members would take this opportunity to add some appropriate themed jewelry to their uniforms. I know if I worked there and was a CM for the Haunted Mansion I would wear a small bat necklace or something that matched the uniform. Disney will crack down if people take things too far or look highly unprofessional.

Everyone's so paranoid about the CM's having "the Disney Look" and no one thinks about what a pain in the tush it is to be a CM. They have so many restrictions that they can barely enjoy their days off. No dyed hair, no visible tattoos (which could mean heatstroke to cover some of them, especially if they got them years prior to working for Disney), no painted nails, etc. So that nice manicure you got for a weekend wedding and spent money on has to come off before work on Monday.

I think professional appearances have moved on as a culture. As long as the CMs are clean and well groomed, who cares if they have a mustache or beard? Why shouldn't the girls have highlights in their hair? Keep it themed to where you are in the park, but be your own character. That's (hopefully) why Disney hired you.

lazyboy97o

I'm not arguing anything. I'm just telling it how it is. If I was arguing I'd be talking about why Disney should be ______ way.

How would I want it? 100% as themed as can be. But it's not going to happen and I understand the justification for it. Times change.
Then why is ditching costumes some ridiculous line in the sand? Given all of the “I don’t care what they look like comments,” it seems it wouldn’t be that big of an issue to many fans and would actually keep Disney on trend and open up the labor pool.

lazyboy97o

As long as pointing the direction to the bathrooms or asking how many in your party or cleaning up a protein spill is part of the story I fail to see what difference it makes. Walt had that mustache and he kept it trimmed to look acceptable. They still have the authority to dictate how those beards or mustaches have to look to maintain decorum. No different then making sure everyone is clean shaven everyday. A lot more is being made of this then is necessary.

Just as an example of how far behind they are, I have had a full, trimmed beard so long that my 43 and 45 year old children don't remember seeing me without a beard. They were about 2 or 4 when I grew it out. Yet, I was able to support my family and myself in jobs that were very public with no problems or even a mention about it. It has taken Disney a long time to realize that the world has changed, sadly not always for the better.
Where did I ever say I have a problem with facial hair?

Lilofan

Everyone's so paranoid about the CM's having "the Disney Look" and no one thinks about what a pain in the tush it is to be a CM. They have so many restrictions that they can barely enjoy their days off. No dyed hair, no visible tattoos (which could mean heatstroke to cover some of them, especially if they got them years prior to working for Disney), no painted nails, etc. So that nice manicure you got for a weekend wedding and spent money on has to come off before work on Monday.
It's truly amazing when one reads that cast members fighting for $15/hour, more working hours, complain about poor wages and barely paying their bills. However, some still can get their hair dyed, hair cut on a regular basis, manicure,pedicure on a regular basis, get tatoos, etc etc. And will be buying bracelets, gold and silver neck chains to accent their costumes.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Then why is ditching costumes some ridiculous line in the sand? Given all of the “I don’t care what they look like comments,” it seems it wouldn’t be that big of an issue to many fans and would actually keep Disney on trend and open up the labor pool.
They should ditch the costumes. Or at least make them generic. Why bother? I mean, read the post above yours, that's the customer Disney is after in 2019. If the customer, I refuse to say guest anymore, doesn't care, why should TDO?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom