Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Stevek

View attachment 355235

And at 5:25 - Hello, friendly Imagineer! Yes, the rock work does look very impressive. Shame the spot where you're standing won't be ready in time for the grand opening. Maybe if you weren't on the phone so much...? Only kidding!

I was wondering if the Imagineer was getting upset that there was a copter overhead. His gesture didn't necessarily look like a wave per se.

Rteetz

From Bioreconstruct

iowamomof4

Is it just me, or did they really fill the land with too many big buildings? The pathways are so narrow, it looks like it could all be quite uncomfortable.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I predict no FastPasses in SW land for a good long while....

No, I think it has more to do with tiering. I bet that once RotR opens they open FP.

You basically never stopped moving, and I don't think it ever went over 3 hours

Crowds were less back then. FP doesn't increase standby wait times, but it does make the movement slower so it seems longer, even if it actually isn't.

TrojanUSC

Can any insiders corroborate/disprove the reports of RotR's construction being a big 'ol dumpster fire? The Disneyland SW:GE construction thread is quoting a Micechat post claiming RotR is months and months behind schedule due Alcatraz being a technical nightmare.

The reliability is less than 50%

Winter

I don’t know what I expected to see when I looked at the thread but it wasn’t Last Jedi ranting

Anyway, to keep on topic, whats probably going to be the length of time the second star wars ride isn’t open after the land opens? Is it gonna be a few months, or a year, or what?

nickys

Premium Member
My opinion, it's due to two things:

1. There's no way to tier it. Pair it with anything else in the park, and everyone will try to get a FP for it. It'll be gone at 60+14.. I think they may be holding off FP until RotR is launched, and then those will both become the Tier-1s.
  2. They don't want to have to deal with anytime FPs during the first few months while they work out the kinks.

And

3. they don’t want to have to deal with separate entry for those with FPs, thereby jumping the line to get into the land. Once in the land, they can’t really get you out again, even if they stop you rejoining the line for the ride.

nickys

Premium Member
I think there's a number of factors in play, but the bottom line is it's the best way to maximize guest satisfaction in this circumstance.

Factors:
  1. The rides will have reliability issues in the beginning and having thousands of FastPasses out will be pain to manage when people are coming back because their original time wasn't actually available due to a breakdown. This could create a multi-hour long FastPass line and a miserable standby line. Lots of unhappy people.
  2. For RoR they don't have to commit to a specific opening date to allow 60 day plus FP reservations to occur.
  3. Painful, horribly slow standby lines will generate lots of negative publicity. Whereas very long but relatively fast moving lines will generate lots of positive (or at least neutral) publicity. Good for long term bookings...
  4. Less perception of a "have's vs. have not's" "privileged vs. peasants" (have a FP and walked on vs waited 8 hours) which is a P.R. concern as well as a guest satisfaction concern.
I predict no FastPasses in SW land for a good long while.... For people who want to avoid long lines there will be Disney After Hours sold (probably at inflated prices) and plenty of EM Hours for resort guests (with modestly shorter waits).

This is a brilliant strategy if you think about it.. almost everyone wins:
  1. Hate lines? Pay for Disney After Hours OR line up early for Extra Magic Hours if you are eligible.
  2. Willing to wait, but you hate standing around... want the line to move, etc... (which is what most people hate about the standby lines) then this NO FP policy is awesome. Has anyone ever noticed how fast FOP moves when there's no FastPass (and it's fully operational?) - you never stop walking and it's great. You see a lot of cool stuff and your on the ride before you know it.
I'm aging myself here, but when Disney opened E ticket rides at Disneyland before FastPass (I'm thinking Indy in particular) the buzz/lines/etc. were massive. The line went all the way down Main Street. But guess what? You basically never stopped moving, and I don't think it ever went over 3 hours. The difference was NO FastPass.

The problem here though is that, unlike at Disneyland when say Indy opened, the Star Wars rides are in a contained land.

In theory the line keeps moving, even if it is 3 hrs long. However, they need to be careful about over-crowding in the land itself, a land where the themeing is going to be out of this world (yeah, know)! Even if they stop people jumping back in line for a second ride, there will be some people who will happily spend hours in the land itself. Until it clears they can’t keep letting more people in.

And once they have two rides open, although that’s more ride capacity, they’ll have to let people go from one ride to the other, therefore you could go from one to the other all day.... unless they come up with a way to stop that.

Anyone have any idea how they cope with these issues? I wonder if that was a factor in opening the two rides separately. See how things play out with those issues before opening the second ride, so they can implement some kind of system to deal with them. @marni1971 hinted, I think, that it wasn’t just ride readiness, albeit there are some normal technical issues with RotR.

Even opening separately though, they will still have this issue of the die hard Star Wars fans who are at Disney solely for these two rides. They would happily spend all day in Galaxy Edge. Heck, I’m nowhere near that big a fan and I would happily stay for 3-4 hours on top of the ride time.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 hinted, I think, that it wasn’t just ride readiness, albeit there are some normal technical issues with RotR..
Staggering the ride openings is down to PR and spreadsheet performances. Not having Fastpass available is the operational way of making things run smoother and coping with the crowds. That and having to book entry to get into the land in the first place.

Maybe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom