Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

britain

Oh man I hope it’s Moana! I would love some kind of a South Pacific area in AK.

Is this our opportunity to meet underwater animals? Or does that cut too closely to the Seas at Epcot?

If Dinorama is replaced by Moana, at least they could finally justify that live Nemo show being nearby.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This is news. There are two proposals that I think that modern Disney could try to make happen in AK, being the Adventureland and EPCOT projects.

I would guess it would be too much to hope that DAK would get a real Jungle Cruise with jungle animals and not the joke-fest hiding its treatment of indigenous peoples which would then free up all that space in MK for several new attractions.

britain

I would guess it would be too much to hope that DAK would get a real Jungle Cruise with jungle animals and not the joke-fest hiding its treatment of indigenous peoples which would then free up all that space in MK for several new attractions.

That's essentially what Kilimanjaro Safaris is, minus the water.

britain

This is news. There are two proposals that I think that modern Disney could try to make happen in AK, being the Adventureland and EPCOT projects.

I know you can't say much, but I don't understand the structure of your sentence ending with "being the Adventureland and EPCOT projects." Are you saying that there are TWO projects and one could be in Adventureland and the other could be in EPCOT, or they could both go to AK?

bclane

If they do a Jungle Cruise type ride with real animals in AK, can you imagine how cool it would be I’d they made it a ride that could double as a sub and dive under water for a view of the reef!

britain

Part of Jungle Cruise is in the savanna too.

upload_2017-11-20_17-6-8.png

Timothy_Q

DisneyDodo

Don’t forget about all the facilities that are underused (El Pirata/Tortuga Tavern and TL Terrace) or are not what they once were (Diamond Horseshoe Revue). Additionally, more people visit MK now than twenty years ago and FastPass, and the guest thinking it engenders, creates capacity inefficiencies and crowding.

The park needs one to two 3000+/hour E-Tickets.

As we’ve seen with the SW:GE cuts, nothing is ever assured. Chapek could come to realize that a major SM refurb would cost less than Tron and cancel it to save money. Similarly, the theater could also receive the axe because the kinds of high quality shows that venue could hold cost lots of money to develop and continually operate. (That theater was one of the few positives I took away from the P&R presentation fwiw.) I hope the latter isn’t cancelled, but that presentation was filled with proposals that may not happen.

Maybe the whole “one day park” standard is flawed. A full day sounds better than a half day, but that wasn’t the original standard for Disney theme parks. Though it did not have as many attractions, the Magic Kingdom of the 70s/80s was a multi day experience. It was the core of a trip to the Vacation Kingdom with day also spent at Water Country, Lake Buena Vista Village and recreational activities. When EPCOT Center opened, marketing sold it as a two day experience given all nations and pavilions. Eisner’s first big WDW projects, D-MGM Studio Tour, Typhoon Laggon and Pleasure Island represent the shift away from that two day notion. Opening day MGM was a full day experience with TL and PL as half day components in lengthen stays at the newly built hotels. Second half of the Eisner years put us where we are today with the neglect, shorter attractions, FP, and dimished budgets/increasing costs. Iger and his P&R leiutenants passed the buck.

So MK is still a two day park, Epcot is down to a full day park, DHS is down to a half day park, and with Pandora and RoL, DAK is a solid full day park. Three of the four parks need lots of additions to get them to two day status, which would help to minimize UNI time given the limited time guests have in Orlando. But MK can’t run in place either. It needs to plus old attractions not called PoTC or HM. It needs new all ages, people eating Es. It needs to stop following short lived trends or gimmicks like FP.

Maybe Disney could embrace what made the Magic Kingdom a world icon and paragon of theme parks; Theme, Show, Quality, Design, Efficiency and Value.
I have 2 problems with the idea of rating parks on the "X-day" scale:

1) Just because it takes a full day to do all of a park's attractions does not mean that the everyone can be entertained for a full day. Different attractions appeal to different people, and different guests choose to tour the parks in different ways. If a park has the ability to entertain guests for a maximum of one day, the majority of the guests are not getting a day's worth of fun. Even if it's an average of one day, 50% of the guests are still leaving the park somewhat unfulfilled. [Example: while doing everything at AK can surely take more than a day, a family with little kids will not be able to fill a day, assuming they must skip, say, FOP, EE, Dinosaur, PW, and it's tough to be a bug.]

2) Parks that have a lack of attractions will have longer lines, hence increasing the time spent in the park. Therefore, the amount of enjoyment one gets from a park is not necessarily a function of how much time they can spend there. Disney's parks should take at least a day for guests to experience, yes, but it's also important to find ways to maximize that time for guests. [Example: Someone who doesn't make efficient use of FP+, either because they booked late or aren't familiar with the best strategies, could spend a full day at DHS, largely because it takes so long to wait for each of the four rides.]

DisneyFan18

@marni1971 is the Indiana Jones Land coming to AK going into the entirity of DinoLand as well (or any other place?), if so, is there any chance of the Dinosaur theme being used somewhere else at the park?

Also, are there any other hints you can give about the attraction you previously teased to be in either AK or another park?

lazyboy97o

Breaking? So, when will the actual complete break come? In a month? A year? a decade?
Disney has already spent billions of dollars trying to fix FastPass and has now committed to spending billions more to fix the fix. As much as people may like the guest facing side of MyMagic+, it has not created the promised revenue and operational efficiencies. Disney spent 20 years avoiding building attractions and has finally been forced to undue that direction because MyMagic+ was not able to cram in more people and maintain guest satisfaction levels.

jt04

Unless the franchise is revitalized, Indiana Jones doesn't need anything more than a single attraction. There's a Tony Baxter interview where he talked about the use of intellectual properties and how a property like Indy could certainly work in EPCOT, you would just have to play up a real life archeology concept. I don't think making Indy a paleontologist is that ridiculous for a DAK concept but others oppose. Adventureland would work and DHS is currently working.

Your argument of Indy overwhelming the turnstiles in DHS is a horrible one. Star Wars will overwhelm those turnstyles and the park isn't going to have enough to do for guests that can't get into Star Wars Land. It's why putting Mickey and Minnie's inside Great Movie Ride was so opposed by people here. Adding in Indiana Jones Adventure would pull out 1800+ people per hour.

Time will tell.

GiveMeTheMusic

Disney has already spent billions of dollars trying to fix FastPass and has now committed to spending billions more to fix the fix. As much as people may like the guest facing side of MyMagic+, it has not created the promised revenue and operational efficiencies. Disney spent 20 years avoiding building attractions and has finally been forced to undue that direction because MyMagic+ was not able to cram in more people and maintain guest satisfaction levels.

Sucks to suck! Sad thing is if they had gone forward with actual attractions 10 years ago we might have gotten something other than IP invasion for every single one of them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom