Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
The candy is usually for when we play games. I don't know if my 7th graders are too pleased with me right now. They had a test today, their first of the year with me and they all seemed to think that if they didn't know the answer I would either tell them or just not mark it wrong. Or if they had been absent last week they weren't responsible for knowing the material. It was like they had never taken a test before. Ugh, drove me batty and I wasn't very patient with them. They were really a bunch of whiners today.

Sounds like some of the adults I work with! :hilarious:

PUSH

Original Poster
The candy is usually for when we play games. I don't know if my 7th graders are too pleased with me right now. They had a test today, their first of the year with me and they all seemed to think that if they didn't know the answer I would either tell them or just not mark it wrong. Or if they had been absent last week they weren't responsible for knowing the material. It was like they had never taken a test before. Ugh, drove me batty and I wasn't very patient with them. They were really a bunch of whiners today.
I told one of my students to stop scooting their chair around the room today, and he responded with "But I'm bored!" He had been giving me headaches all afternoon, and I just said, "I don't care." Right as I said that, one of the secretaries came in to give me something. He kind of laughed.

Lucky

We weren't whiners when I was in 7th grade. Juvenile delinquents, yes, but whiners, no.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
We weren't whiners when I was in 7th grade. Juvenile delinquents, yes, but whiners, no.

We all have those moments, my principal walked in the other day when I was showing my 8th graders Apollo 13 and it was a scene with a lot of inappropriate language. My principal just turned around and walked out. :joyfull:

But that isn't as bad as what happened to one of our teachers in his first year (this happened about 8 years ago)...he went to show his class a video and had gotten the DVD from a friend of his that taught in another town. His friend had recorded the DVD from something, anyway the friend gave him the wrong DVD and it was an "adult" movie!:jawdrop: Luckily he turned it off before it really got going and even luckier there were no parent complaints! But I learned to always preview a film clip all the way before showing it after I heard about that!

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
The kids must love you as a teacher. We never got candy for good work when I was a kid in grammar school. If we did something correct, the nuns would tell us that our reward in heaven would be great. (No candy. . . :rolleyes:)
My grade 12 French teacher would often clap her hands in glee and proclaim, “Ça mérite un bonbon” whenever anyone executed a phrase well.

She was a very tall slim lady. I thought she was rewarding us for a good job. Now you have me wondering if she was just pawning off leftover candy.

PUSH

Original Poster
Also, I try to avoid sugar with 1st graders. They're wound up enough without it.

Also, I don't know what happened between the time the went out for recess and the time they came back from lunch and PE, but it was a complete 180. They were amazing in the morning, and then this afternoon was terrible. Even the good ones were driving me nuts.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Also, I try to avoid sugar with 1st graders. They're wound up enough without it.

Also, I don't know what happened between the time the went out for recess and the time they came back from lunch and PE, but it was a complete 180. They were amazing in the morning, and then this afternoon was terrible. Even the good ones were driving me nuts.

That's why I hand them their candy prize as they leave my room! ;) I can relate to the 180 change too, there is one section of kids I have twice a day and sometimes they are completely different people in the morning and afternoon.

PUSH

Original Poster
That's why I hand them their candy prize as they leave my room! ;) I can relate to the 180 change too, there is one section of kids I have twice a day and sometimes they are completely different people in the morning and afternoon.
I have two kids specifically that just can't focus, and when they can't focus, they disrupt everyone else in the room. I feel like I'm constantly hounding those two to pay attention and follow directions. And anything I try either goes over their head, or fuels more behavior issues.

I'm a pretty patient person, but it's taken a lot in me to not flip out on these two.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I have two kids specifically that just can't focus, and when they can't focus, they disrupt everyone else in the room. I feel like I'm constantly hounding those two to pay attention and follow directions. And anything I try either goes over their head, or fuels more behavior issues.

I'm a pretty patient person, but it's taken a lot in me to not flip out on these two.

I understand I have kids like that too.

SteveBrickNJ

20171019_081727_Burst01.jpg I'm enjoying the back and forth exchanges between posters re. getting students of a variety of ages to focus. At my teaching job...when I approach the 5th graders who are all gathered at side by side tables eating lunch....I get on the microphone and do a Call and Response:
Any of these......
5th Grade Band Director/Me: "Red Robin"
Students: "YUM"

or

Me: "Mona"
Students: " Lisa"

or

Me: "Strawberry"
Students: "Milkshake"

or

Me: "SNOOPY!"
Students: "Nice..nice.. daw-gee"

Please know that there is a certain rhythm or vocal inflection that I can't convey here. :):bookworm:

Last edited:

NYwdwfan

My GP used to smoke while giving a physical exam. But, back then everyone, including farm animals smoked.
I keep telling him he has to quit.
th

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
A few years back I even paid for a passport so I could go get me one of them thar Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwiches. Now I want one.. but a 2000 mile round trip just for a sandwich is probably a little out there.
They are good. We have a diner in town that specializes in them. Now I want one too!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom