News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

SplashJacket

Still waiting for people to realize a Boat ride though a world where everything is purportedly frozen makes about as much sense . . .
Yeah quick tangent building off this,

I’m really not a fan of having a boat ride going through dry buildings (Frozen at Tokyo DisneySea). They have the dry coronation building and there’s just a boat running through it for some reason.

Pirates makes sense to have water since it’s on the ocean/open water for most of it.

Boat rides should really only go through natural environments.

yensidtlaw1969

I’m really not a fan of having a boat ride going through dry buildings (Frozen at Tokyo DisneySea). They have the dry coronation building and there’s just a boat running through it for some reason.

Pirates makes sense to have water since it’s on the ocean/open water for most of it.

I think in Tokyo's case their Frozen ride is almost more like a memory play, where the story is being retold as you float down the river and the events magically unfold all around you. So while you could let them off on a technicality there, I agree that it feels wrong to have a flume cutting through a space like the Arendelle Castle which we know does not have any rivers flowing through it.

Thankfully Disney historically does a pretty good job navigating this - even the canal through the city in Pirates makes enough sense whether you think about it consciously or not. Makes me wish the Italy Pavilion had a boat ride through the canals of Venice.

And of course I still think it's weird that there's a flowing river in Frozen Ever After despite Elsa freezing everything else over, but no one else seems to pay it much mind. Felt to me like another reason not to replace the Maelstrom with Frozen. For Tokyo I would have thought a skating sleigh LPS vehicle would have been the obvious choice for a scratch-built Frozen ride, but they aren't taking my calls on the matter.

DisneyDodo

Agreed. FEA was a boat ride because it replaced a boat ride, but then for some reason WDI decided that all Frozen dark rides henceforth must be boat rides. Doesn’t make a lot of sense.

FettFan

Still waiting for people to realize a Boat ride though a world where everything is purportedly frozen makes about as much sense . . .

It’s called “Frozen”, not “Negative Kelvin”; yes you can have moving water.

images

Probably the only time I’ll ever defend FEA, since it’s still a massive downgrade from Maelstrom.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

It’s called “Frozen”, not “Negative Kelvin”; yes you can have moving water.

images

Probably the only time I’ll ever defend FEA, since it’s still a massive downgrade from Maelstrom.
Sure, but in the movie the entire fjord freezes over from the strength of Elsa’s power. Maybe she’s more in control of it during the events of Frozen Ever After, but a water ride still seems slightly at odds with a story built around ice magic.

Bocabear

There aren’t really rivers underwater either.

View attachment 774956
I gotta say, in person the sheer scale of the showrooms is so overwhelming and Epic that no one even thinks about why they are floating on a river underwater....lol It is an amazing ride....beautifully done! FEA, well not so amazing, but it is cute and parts of it I think are quite good.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Sure, but in the movie the entire fjord freezes over from the strength of Elsa’s power. Maybe she’s more in control of it during the events of Frozen Ever After, but a water ride still seems slightly at odds with a story built around ice magic.
The fjord thaws at the end such that those who showed up on boat can sail away.

1711475931446.png

For all of Frozen 2, the fjord is water and becomes a plot point... again.

MistaDee

It's almost as if theme parks require one to suspend their disbelief....

Some people seem to have very rigid expectations of how ride systems and IP fit together. Encanto in the Animal Kingdom? Sure put one of their most popular movies in a land celebrating Latin America

Just because the movie isn't overtly about animals doesn't mean the ride can't be. If anything, Disney's own operations and supply chains as a multi-national corporation are far more contradictory to the "conservation" message that AK tries to tell than anything within Encanto.

denyuntilcaught

Suspension of disbelief is supposed to be a reaction, not an action. Expecting people to actively ignore something is poor design.
I agree...to an extent. While I think, for example, Indiana Jones and ROTR achieve what you're saying to a great extent, Pirates, BTMR, Space, Matterhorn, Splash, and Mansion do not, even though my enjoyment of each are relatively the same.

MistaDee

Suspension of disbelief is supposed to be a reaction, not an action. Expecting people to actively ignore something is poor design.

Who decides the "supposed to" here? This is just your opinion. Just like we can ignore the bus bar or swinging doors in a fantasy land dark ride, it's part of the medium.

Whether or not it's done successfully is up to interpretation, just like any other form of media. I personally don't mind traveling through indoor scenes on a water ride bc I tend to view things more interpretatively, or like a "memory play" as was put nicely above.

Feel free to shake your fist at the sky though

haveyoumetmark

Some people seem to have very rigid expectations of how ride systems and IP fit together. Encanto in the Animal Kingdom? Sure put one of their most popular movies in a land celebrating Latin America

Just because the movie isn't overtly about animals doesn't mean the ride can't be. If anything, Disney's own operations and supply chains as a multi-national corporation are far more contradictory to the "conservation" message that AK tries to tell than anything within Encanto.
Right, they bulldozed a natural environment to build Animal Kingdom. Encanto will fit just fine

britain

(Psst… don’t tell anyone, but some of the rides at Tokyo Disneyland take place at sea, and some of the rides at Tokyo Disneysea take place on land!)

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
I’m sure there will be some sort of slapped together conservation message at the very least. WDI may have bled talent but those who remain aren’t that obtuse. Vaughn is certainly an upgrade from the guest perspective. It’s just that Rohde is a wizard at integrating such a message while still allowing a fun ride. I hope the Imagineers assigned to this project aren’t too proud to call him up an exchange ideas.
He's the GOAT.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom