News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Disstevefan1

Like jewelry, they'll grow in value!!
Well no, not for jewelry in the large majority of cases.

But given a long, long, long time, it is possible for movies that lose money at the box office, may eventually break even or make money from merch, physical media etc., BUT that's really "Disney rationalization".

I suspect when Disney releases their movies they are not thinking in the very long, long, long term to make their money back.

lazyboy97o

Well no, not for jewelry in the large majority of cases.

But given a long, long, long time, it is possible for movies that lose money at the box office, may eventually break even or make money from merch, physical media etc., BUT that's really "Disney rationalization".

I suspect when Disney releases their movies they are not thinking in the very long, long, long term to make their money back.
This is a fine example of just making up a standard and ignoring actual reality.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No, we wouldn’t and most here are lying if they make such claims. We know this because we can go dig up our complaints from when Disney was making a lot of money and the stock was going up. It’s exactly why so much of the “just business” concerns are a load of crock.
Well lilo was sure happy with his 401K…

…but true happiness by fans will only be achieved if they feel Disney values them…and that’s by providing great, memorable products in all mediums

Doesn’t mean they have to be perfect…just always give sincere effort.

Is that what we’re getting?

When it happens…everyone will line up. Stock price is just gravy for a fan on top.

BrianLo

Are we talking box office Flops again?

Listen, children…a flop is a flop in disneydom…
A movie that people don’t see doesn’t pump out product…it doesn’t get people to gates…it doesn’t get run on repeat for generations…and Disney paying itself for movies that nobody will watch and therefore won’t sell subs or ads…

…just…no…let’s not try this one again either

Fully agree, a flop is a movie people didn’t see. Especially when it is positioned as a tentpole, which most Disney films are.

The inherent bias is thinking we live in a world where it’s 1:1 correlated to the box office window. For a hot second there it was coming off the rails.

See: Encanto. A hit by all measures, except Box office. 2nd most watched movie in 2023 and it wasn’t a new release. Multiple parks projects In the works. Looks poised to have that illustrious tale.

See also Rapunzel, Elemental.

Disney was not very successful in 2023, but they are coming off the year with a new IP (Elemental) that they own and fully control. Really no other studio has that fortune.

I will hat to tip Universal, since they are so strategically in bed with Nintendo.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Fully agree, a flop is a movie people didn’t see. Especially when it is positioned as a tentpole, which most Disney films are.

The inherent bias is thinking we live in a world where it’s 1:1 correlated to the box office window. For a hot second there it was coming off the rails.

See: Encanto. A hit by all measures, except Box office. 2nd most watched movie in 2023 and it wasn’t a new release. Multiple parks projects In the works. Looks poised to have that illustrious tale.

See also Rapunzel, Elemental.

Disney was not very successful in 2023, but they are coming off the year with a new IP (Elemental) that they own and fully control. Really no other studio has that fortune.

I will hat to tip Universal, since they are so strategically in bed with Nintendo.
Points of clarification:

Encanto had that whole “thing” going on that distorted numbers

And elemental had a consistent churn last year

Wish is a full on flop. No Sunny side up there

Tangled is one of the biggest, most influential movies they’ve made. It launched a whole new period of animation

But they spent some ridiculous amount recutting it - so they give a Flop tag as a bit of a misnomer

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Now that I’ve had my morning Starbucks xanex mocha…

Step 1: Pay vendors and contracts but don’t have them finish.
Step 2: “CANCEL” immediately…demonstrating no commitment to a project in the first place.
Step 3: Profit. By pumping up their fandom to regurgitate the same things in their parks
…it’s like madlibs…I love it!
Give us specifics. Who was betrayed? Who was benefiting from filing fraudulent notices of commencement?
PR…and you know that. Giving the perception of investment to promote sales while not intending to foot the bill. Something that has increased in occurrence…like a lot
He never thinks these things through.
Actually I probably think too much.

So if we have a pattern of announcements with no intent to complete - sorry “cancellations” - what exactly do you call it? It’s not the money…and it’s surely not the lack of need…

So I call it a lie. You can call it “strategic disinenginuity” if that sounds more artificulate?

We got a nice stack of these piling up in recent years. And it’s gone further. Instead of announce and cancel…now they have geekcons where they just say they’re THINKING about it😂

What a world, huh?

Or…you can just say the management is incompetent and pooches this. I can accept that and retract my “lie” label.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Disstevefan1

Are we talking box office Flops again?

Listen, children…a flop is a flop in disneydom…
A movie that people don’t see doesn’t pump out product…it doesn’t get people to gates…it doesn’t get run on repeat for generations…and Disney paying itself for movies that nobody will watch and therefore won’t sell subs or ads…

…just…no…let’s not try this one again either
I was trying to keep an open mind and said box office flops may eventually break even over the very long run.

But I agree with you.

I am sure when TWDC releases a film they DO NOT think to themselves, "We know this movie will lose at the box office but we will make it back later with merch."

They want to make the money upfront at the box office, just like all other companies.

lazyboy97o

Now that I’ve had my morning Starbucks xanex mocha…

…it’s like madlibs…I love it!

PR…and you know that. Giving the perception of investment to promote sales while not intending to foot the bill. Something that has increased in occurrence…like a lot

Actually I probably think too much.

So if we have a pattern of announcements with no intent to complete - sorry “cancellations” - what exactly do you call it? It’s not the money…and it’s surely not the lack of need…

So I call it a lie. You can call it “strategic disinenginuity” if that sounds more artificulate?

We got a nice stack of these piling up in recent years. And it’s gone further. Instead of announce and cancel…now they have geekcons where they just say they’re THINKING about it😂

What a world, huh?

Or…you can just say the management is incompetent and pooches this. I can accept that and retract my “lie” label.
You didn’t answer who the filing of fake government records (a crime) benefited.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was trying to keep an open mind and said box office flops may eventually break even over the very long run.

But I agree with you.

I am sure when TWDC releases a film they DO NOT think to themselves, "We know this movie will lose at the box office but we will make it back later with merch."

They want to make the money upfront at the box office, just like all other companies.
Ancillary sales are not the way Disney “break even”

They had a catastrophic year of failure last year…and this “eventually” idea was spawned as a coping mechanism

…buzzer

peng

Not sure why people are arguing about if Peltz being on the board is a good/bad thing as its almost certain he will lose (though with lower numbers for last year), the trades view him as a joke and so do most of wall street. Only reason Iger and co. are putting out a lot of press is that he tends to will the rest of the board to his will for better or for worse, which would be a nice change of pace if his usual strategy is "sell random things off and cut costs randomly." Best case scenario if he gets on is some of the money put aside for parks is redirected back to the domestic ones and fox and some of the cable networks get sold off. Besides, for the film side, most of the things he's proposing (making executive meddling a proponent of the company, which Iger has been doing since he ruined Twin Peaks, trying to get espn out of cable, etc) are actually happening, but the most likely scenario no matter what happens is that all divisions (save FX and the television animation ones) will remain as creatively stagnant as they've been for a while.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom