News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Sir_Cliff

I don't think it was a 20 year plan. But when MyMagic+ didn't alleviate the issues and worked the way he thought it would, IMO, he believed his next solution was to lean more into demand pricing. Not attraction investment. If this was all Chapek's idea, then the idea would have had to have been conceptualized, project management, developed and made it into production between Feb 2020 and Oct 2021. When have you recently seen Disney work that fast? Remember, people said that the reservation system had to be build on the old Fastpass+ system in order to get it ready quickly enough. Chapek turned the dial up much faster than Iger seems to have been comfortable with. But it's still the same equipment. Just because Chapek went straight to 7 while Iger wanted to start at 3, then go to 4, 5, and slow walk it to 7 doesn't mean that we won't end up in the same place at the end.
I think this is probably largely the case, though where I do see some difference is that slow-walking changes does give more chance to test and adjust depending on how people respond to the changes and any other external factors. The problem with just suddenly turning the dial up to 7 is that you fundamentally change the theme park going experience more or less overnight, annoying your customers royally and making it hard to walk back any of the changes that don't turn out so well and repairing damage to the brand.

I can see the argument that the Chapek method is more honest while the slow-walking that might be more to Iger's taste is essentially just trying to turn up the heat in a way that the frogs don't realise they are being boiled alive. But I do think a more cautious approach to implementing these changes would have at least showed more respect and potentially been more responsive to the impact different changes were having on guest experience and perceptions of the parks.

lazyboy97o

I don't think it was a 20 year plan. But when MyMagic+ didn't alleviate the issues and worked the way he thought it would, IMO, he believed his next solution was to lean more into demand pricing. Not attraction investment. If this was all Chapek's idea, then the idea would have had to have been conceptualized, project management, developed and made it into production between Feb 2020 and Oct 2021. When have you recently seen Disney work that fast? Remember, people said that the reservation system had to be build on the old Fastpass+ system in order to get it ready quickly enough. Chapek turned the dial up much faster than Iger seems to have been comfortable with. But it's still the same equipment. Just because Chapek went straight to 7 while Iger wanted to start at 3, then go to 4, 5, and slow walk it to 7 doesn't mean that we won't end up in the same place at the end.
It's not even necessarily that Iger was slow walking the change. The pandemic created a situation where suddenly Disney was operating with more than adequate capacity and then jumped right back into old form of straining capacity. The perception is one of much more radical change.

Sir_Cliff

I get what you're saying - I'm just kind of in disbelief.

I know this movie came with an elephant but I didn't expect it to hurt things that much.

.. which isn't to say that's the problem or that there even is one specific problem - I just - even lame animated Disney movies in wide theatrical release normally do better than that.

Don't they?
To be honest, I am kind of surprised Disney green-lit an animated sci-fi adventure in the first place. That seems almost the perfect recipe if you were shooting for box office failure.

MerlinTheGoat

The negligence that occurred at Disneyland was conducted with actual intent. There's a long historical record of what happens when preventative inspections and maintenance are foregone at theme parks. People sustain injuries and die. One of the key reasons that Disneyland was built in the first place was Walt Disney's hatred for dirty and dangerous fairs. There were standards he insisted on setting when he built the place. The executives running Disneyland in the 90s and 2000s however deliberately began slashing budgets and reduced safety inspections/maintenance that had been standard procedure prior to that. Under Eisner's approval. Fans noticed the decline and could see dangerous conditions taking form. The executives also knew what they were doing and the potential consequences, they just saw the money and didn't care. Figuring they'd get away with it. And they weren't really even wrong. Instead of going to prison, they were given golden parachutes.

Last edited:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
If there were safety procedures that were cut under Iger's watch, the situation might be somewhat comparable with the Big Thunder accident. I don't think you're arguing that, though?

I’m saying there was negligence in both instances.

You all can associate whatever level of negligence and/or try and make comparisons all you’d like. Have at it.

MerlinTheGoat

I merely pointed out that there have been unfortunate incidents on Iger’s watch as well that can also be considered negligent.
In case there's any misunderstanding, I detest Iger as well, as much if not moreso than Eisner. There have also been multiple close call incidents while he was CEO. Falling chunks of concrete rockwork at Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom about a decade ago. No guests were hit, but they fell in areas that guests frequently pass through. It's why the Tree of Life and Splash Mountain had temporary netting/tarps for a while.

Iger isn't innocent of playing roulette with people's safety either IMO, but he's been luckier at the very least. I assume he's at least prioritized certain aspects of vehicle/mechanical inspections to avoid a repeat of Eisner's scandals. He hasn't had a situation like the Big Thunder, Space Mountain or Columbia yet. Incidents that were directly traced back to executives intentionally signing off on the removal of routine safety inspections that they knew would imperil guest safety. I'm worried it could get to that again, but the evidence hasn't surfaced yet.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
Iger is hosting a town hall on Monday to discuss the road ahead. Over/Under on him using the phase "extremely hardcore?"
This is what I am hoping Iger will announce on Monday: If Disney wants to improve/properly market their films (especially animated films) and move right on ahead with highly-detailed park projects like expanding north of Big Thunder Mountain in Florida, DisneylandForward, EPCOT additions, and my dream projects like an Adventureland Moana expansion and South America and Australia expansions for Animal Kingdom (both in Florida), they’re going to have to sell off 20th Century Studios, Searchlight Pictures, and 20th Television, along with their IPs. (I know I’ve been saying this many times, but I think it should be crucial to turning Disney around after two sucky years under Chapek.)

TwilightZone

EPCOT Center in the mid-late 90s. While I very much enjoyed some exhibits in Innoventions (especially Alec Tronic, he appealed to my love for robotics and classic Disney attractions), overall it was kind of lesser than Communicore before it and was the first sign of things to come. Then Horizons lost its sponsor that year and became a "seasonal" attraction (more like it was operated intermittently over next 5 years to help offset the other attractions being closed). Then World of Motion closed in 96, Universe of Energy got a really inferior and stupid overhaul with Ellen that same year, then Imagination in 98, and Horizons' final permanent closure in 99. EPCOT used to be a wonderful park, and they absolutely razed it under Eisner...
I actually prefer 90s epcot overall, maybe it's because I am a 99' baby, but I find Innoventions, Test Track, and Irons Spaceship Earth vastly more interesting than their predeccessors (though World of Motion does seem like it was fun, and should have never closed). Now 00s Epcot is another story, where everything in innoventions was being tossed out for cheapo stuff due to lack of sponsors, leading to the only attraction left fitting the original concept being Sum of all Thrills. Ellen overstayed its welcome and felt squarely rooted in the 90s. While YOUR imagination was a misstep, I'd argue that JIWF is even worse. A "temporary" attraction filled with inside jokes about the terrible ride it replaced, and making Figment's personality worse in order to catch in with the company's idea of what was "hip and cool" at the time. Keeping the big wand over epcot and the ugly pin center. The downgrade of the entire Spaceship Earth experience, with a script that speaks down to its audience and a terrible downgrade of an ending after the stunning Irons ending. So much terrible stuff happened in the early 00s and very little of it has been fixed or replaced over time.

MerlinTheGoat

I actually prefer 90s epcot overall, maybe it's because I am a 99' baby, but I find Innoventions, Test Track, and Irons Spaceship Earth vastly more interesting than their predeccessors (though World of Motion does seem like it was fun, and should have never closed). Now 00s Epcot is another story, where everything in innoventions was being tossed out for cheapo stuff due to lack of sponsors, leading to the only attraction left fitting the original concept being Sum of all Thrills. Ellen overstayed its welcome and felt squarely rooted in the 90s. While YOUR imagination was a misstep, I'd argue that JIWF is even worse. A "temporary" attraction filled with inside jokes about the terrible ride it replaced, and making Figment's personality worse in order to catch in with the company's idea of what was "hip and cool" at the time. Keeping the big wand over epcot and the ugly pin center. The downgrade of the entire Spaceship Earth experience, with a script that speaks down to its audience and a terrible downgrade of an ending after the stunning Irons ending. So much terrible stuff happened in the early 00s and very little of it has been fixed or replaced over time.
I'll make a special exception for Irons' Spaceship Earth, I forgot that was 94. That is my favorite narration and had the best descent by far. While I am very nostalgic for Tomorrow's Child and I realize a lot of people prefer it, the spectacular classical Bach arrangement in Irons version is incredible. Combined it with the shimmering fiber optic city of light, it's a hauntingly beautiful yet uplifting scene that actually makes me tear up a bit.

Rich Brownn

I didn't say people haven't seen it. I'm saying people don't talk about it.

I've seen it... This website is the only place I have ever engaged in a conversation about the films in any shape or form.

EDIT: Let me re-phrase... I didn't mean that nobody has seen it... I just haven't met anyone that remembers much of it or HAS seen it.
You must know someone who has seen it... unless they live under a rock somewhere :). Seriously though, the *reissue* of it this year took in $30 million on a weekend - better than most new films. And, ironically, one of the biggest complaints thrown at the film is probably one of the reasons for its success - that it's a trope (white man saves savages). It doesn't require lengthy translations or understanding - everyone, everywhere could pretty much get the story right away. <The 3D of course was the major sell - and will be again this time judging from showtimes. The 3D showtimes vastly outnumber the 2D ones, reversing the trend>

MerlinTheGoat

While obviously a ton of people have seen Avatar, it's one of those movies that most people either don't remember or don't care about the plot. It's the visuals that carried it and impressed people. Even the "positive" reviews largely admitted to this.

The pretty scenery did make it a really good choice for a theme park environment though.

I don't plan on watching the sequel due to my dislike of the first movie's plot. But it'll be interesting to hear the feedback to see if they addressed that flaw with the first. I wouldn't bet against its success, but it'll also be interesting to see if it can match or surpass the financial success of the first too.

Tom P.

James Cameron was a good filmmaker once, when limited budgets forced him to be creative. Aliens, Terminator 2, those were masterpieces. But once he basically had a blank check to spend, starting around the time of Titanic, he became obsessed with pretty visuals and everything else suffered. It might make for some decent theme park rides, but it also makes for some uninteresting movies.

Tonto

While obviously a ton of people have seen Avatar, it's one of those movies that most people either don't remember or don't care about the plot. It's the visuals that carried it and impressed people. Even the "positive" reviews largely admitted to this.

The pretty scenery did make it a really good choice for a theme park environment though.

I don't plan on watching the sequel due to my dislike of the first movie's plot. But it'll be interesting to hear the feedback to see if they addressed that flaw with the first. I wouldn't bet against its success, but it'll also be interesting to see if it can match or surpass the financial success of the first too.
This old argument. Avatar was great including the story and the plot was fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonto

James Cameron was a good filmmaker once, when limited budgets forced him to be creative. Aliens, Terminator 2, those were masterpieces. But once he basically had a blank check to spend, starting around the time of Titanic, he became obsessed with pretty visuals and everything else suffered. It might make for some decent theme park rides, but it also makes for some uninteresting movies.
LOL! James Cameron just makes hits including Titanic, and Avatar. The stories were fantastic!!!
There are plenty of films in Hollywood that are "pretty" and don't sell like Cameron films. Thats because movies like Titanic and Avatar have great stories.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom