News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Casper Gutman

Second chances do not come very often B.I. has been handed a second chance. Clearly, he has a greater level of intellect, style and craftiness than B.C. now to show it and not squander this opportunity.
“Second chance” implies that someone thinks they made mistakes with their first chance. Iger doesn’t. The parks are what he wants them to be. I suspect his main focus will be on digesting Fox, which means more belt-tightening.

Of course, this could be even more ominous if he starts selling components of the company or even the company itself. I don’t think he will, but Iger’s focus has always been mergers and acquisitions and the board is panicky…

dreday3

In the end, I'm ambivalent about this change. From reading everyone here and other places, it seems his focus will be mostly on Disney + and the like, with not much focus on the parks.

Since my main interest in Disney is the Disney Parks, I'm out of luck with any significant changes for the better.

matt9112

I agree, 100%. I think the biggest rollback we will see will be the dismantlement of Lightening Lanes. I could see Iger easily folding them in with the price of Genie+ so they can still make their money, and vistors feel like one price tag is being cut.

I feel genie + prices would have to increase to lower demand though.

GimpYancIent

“Second chance” implies that someone thinks they made mistakes with their first chance. Iger doesn’t. The parks are what he wants them to be. I suspect his main focus will be on digesting Fox, which means more belt-tightening.

Of course, this could be even more ominous if he starts selling components of the company or even the company itself. I don’t think he will, but Iger focus has always been mergers and acquisitions…
Yes, his track record clearly leans toward mergers / acquisitions and getting bigger. Selling off components has not been his history, but, if there are two duplicate components, he can either merge them into one more efficient component or sell off the less productive / profitable one. The whole restructuring commentary makes things interesting to see how TWDC will look, keep in mind he ran the place then stepped aside reflected / analyzed and now steps back in.

pdude81

I dared to get into it with a pack of trolls on the Strange World thread. They then decided to get together and inform me that I am “humorless” for reasons I still don’t understand. Then, to prove them wrong on the humorless thing, I posted a bunch of review clips from my plays. Then, once they were proved wrong that I am “humorless”, I was informed that I am pathetic and sad and a victim, none of which is true. But whatever.
If you should come upon a being you think is a troll, don't feed it. Certainly not after midnight

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Does it? Uber and Lyft popped the bubble long before DME was shut down. I still think there's value to bringing it back as a PR thing, but I don't think there's much concrete return in terms of "captive guests."
Nothing is “stopping” Anyone…but the theory behind it is less rental cars - less bleed for grocery runs, less off property meals, etc.

Numbers do back that up. People would also be somewhat less inclined to go to the other parks. Not talking one timers…that wouldn’t change…but “semi frequent” people would be more inclined to stay in the bubble

I’ve talked to a decent number of dvc that venture off more since the end of express. I bet that correlates.

CaptinEO

So to follow up,

Can one expect either ceo to spend any significant time solely to P&R?
Doubtful. Parks are practically the only division making money at Disney right now. I think parks are on the last of their list of changes to make as it is not needed.

Disney needs to fix their failing film and streaming divisions ASAP. Having 3 250 million dollar Pixar movies going direct to streaming was idiotic. The Lightyear movie losing so much is also is an embarrassment and tainted one of their most profittable brands.

They can only make so many Star Wars and Marvel shows before people stop caring, seems they've reached that point.

CaptainAmerica

Nothing is “stopping” Anyone…but the theory behind it is less rental cars - less bleed for grocery runs, less off property meals, etc.

Numbers do back that up. People would also be somewhat less inclined to go to the other parks. Not talking one timers…that wouldn’t change…but “semi frequent” people would be more inclined to stay in the bubble

I’ve talked to a decent number of dvc that venture off more since the end of express. I bet that correlates.
Could be... I wasn't arguing, I was asking sincerely. I know the numbers did back it up in 2010ish, but I was under the impression that ride share penetration was so complete that all of the benefit had pretty much eroded by now.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
And yet people sure acted that way.

Like who?

Absolutely not. Despite having been disbanded, Iger never actually pivoted away from Strategic Planning and just promoted the likes of Staggs. Tom Staggs was one of the most uncredited shapers of The Walt Disney Company as it existed at the end of Eisner’s tenure and into Iger’s tenure.

Time has already told. The events already transpired.

This comment just makes Cramer look clueless. Parks wasn’t Chapek’s area of expertise. He had absolutely no park experience prior to getting the top job at the parks. If Iger had gotten his way the parks wouldn’t be a thing for Cramer to talk about and there’s no evidence he truly sees them as an area of potential growth.

Kevin Mayer comes to mind. I know there were others, but the names elude me these days... And there were probably others we never really heard about that left because... Bob. But let's face it - Chapek as the bar for a CEO is about as low as you can get. It wouldn't take much to jump over it.

lazyboy97o

You clearly misunderstood my post. We were talking about what may or may not happen going forward. Unless you have a crystal ball or some sort of magical powers….. 🤣
I didn’t misunderstand. You were trying to avoid recognizing that Chapek largely continued Iger’s work. That absolutely can tell us a good deal because it is very unlikely that Iger is going to come in and undo his own work.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Mears is a business, and if they can lock in and guarantee an income stream from a stable source like TWDC, I promise they'll build that bridge back no matter how bad it was burned. You don't turn down guaranteed revenue in the hospitality and tourism industry, especially when you're facing a recession.
Going into recession??

…you better believe it.

And I bet mears was one of the more successful Orlando travel operation during the last recession…because of DME

CaptainAmerica

Kevin Mayer comes to mind. I know there were others, but the names elude me these days... And there were probably others we never really heard about that left because... Bob. But let's face it - Chapek as the bar for a CEO is about as low as you can get. It wouldn't take much to jump over it.
Kevin Mayer is a weapons-grade [butt]hole. He's uniquely unsuited to be the CEO of The Walt Disney Company. Everyone hated him.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Iger Part 2 Day 2: Conference Call with P&R about Genie+

young dolph plies GIF by Worldstar Hip Hop

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Apple should be in DS with Disney only phone covers watch straps special mac book covers and screen savers that you can only get there, i think it would make sense, plus apple to look at the play pavilion see what they and imaginers can come up with , for me its a win win.i never understood why apple isn't in Disney springs.
Apple was very close to being in Disney Springs in the location that is now Ron Jon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom