News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Dan Deesnee

That will be due to the lack of a China release if anything.

These things go both ways. Its funny how the "facts" dont apply to Dr. Strange or Spiderman. Dr. Strange Multiverse of Madness made 300 million more than the original title. Spiderman No Way Home made 800 million more than its prequel.

Endgame and Infinity War are not the bar that the overall MCU needs to be held to.

Black panther made 100 million in China in 2018 at the peak of the MCUs popularity. It wouldn't have helped Wakanda much.

That's simply because people love Spiderman regardless of what's happening in the broader MCU. And Dr Strange multiverse might end up being the high bar for this entire MCU Phase, which would be sad.

The trend is there, and it's not good. The MCU has a string of mediocre movies and has lost direction. That is clear and will push box office numbers lower, and already is.

But like I said before, the X-Men and fantastic four will revitalize the MCU, someday.

jpinkc

The only thing I can say, is Thank God the Curly Howard (look it up kids he would have done a better job) look alike is gone. Iger, ugh I just dont know what to say about. Is he good for Business arguably. But is he good for Fans..... not much better than Curly. If Iger can walk back any of this stuff Genie+, any of the price increases, that I think most agree seem very Greedy on the part of Disney, then its a win. But that actually happening I think is a pipe dream. If anything Iger is there to make Wall Street happy and nothing else. He is there to trot out and do a better PR Job for the next 2 years (if they open Tron by then) while they look for the next Curly 2.0, to make sure that only people of means can attend his run down and dirty parks. Disney needs a Walt 2.0 but that will never happen with Bean Counters of today. Disneyland was made for families to come and have fun together. WOW has that ideal ever fallen!!

More to my point

Raidermatt

I hate using this term, because it gets overused on the internet... but I think the lightning in a bottle analogy is apt for Pixar. They just assembled and nurtured an incredible roster of talent, the kind that was probably only really possible with the dawning of a new technology. Even if John Lasseter didn't have the problem with the, um, huggies, the old gang was eventually going to move on in their own separate ways. Who is still left there from their original Murderers Row creative team, besides Peter Doctor?

Maybe Chapek didn't give Pixar the love they needed, but in retrospect, it seems the division was already past its prime by the time he took over. Especially because Disney Feature Animation has long since found its footing in the CGI era, after some initial stumbles.

On the other hand, Chapek never seemed like the right type to recruit and nurture creative talent.

And I don't think you are mistaken, Luca was much better received than Raya.
The technology was a nice novelty when Pixar started, but it was hardly the main reason for their success. Others tried, including WDFA, but nobody achieved Pixar's level of consistent success. Pixar simply made good films. Sure, they knew the tech had tremendous potential. But they never forgot they were still making movies, and unless you are striving to be a one-hit wonder, the tech would not be enough.

Storytelling talent is always available. But Eisner's ego drove away the talent he and Wells attracted, and Iger, never one to shy away from an acquisition, understood the quickest path for Disney going forward was to mend the Pixar relationship and bring them in.

Pixar, who oversaw all Disney animation, quickly got the Disney side on the right track. But with Disney corporate calling the shots, Pixar is slowly being assimilated (Remaining in Emeryville has likely slowed the process). It's still a quality unit and it still produces quality films, but telling great stories is no longer the sole agenda.

Hard to say if Chapek has an ego to match Eisner's, but clearly building and maintaining relationships was not his strength. Nor does he value quality and talent all that much. While Iger is no visionary, he is much stronger than Chapek in those areas.

Bottom line, Iger was shepherding Pixar on a slow roll to mediocrity. Chapek, as he was doing with most of Iger's issues, was fast-tracking the process. We'll just have to see where it goes from here.

Bocabear

I agree however I would like to point out it is still too early to really know what happened. If it was a hate crime the guy should be tarred and feathered but I hate to jump to conclusions before all the facts are in. Regardless, I think we all agree the guy should never see the light of day again.
with someone who did what he did, I don't hate to jump to conclusions when they are particularly obvious. It was a hate crime or he would have gone to a WalMart.

sedati

So people quoting “dont say gay” are saying blatant lies correct? The rest of what you saying or implying is irrelevant to the point im making.
No, it's called paraphrasing. It is a tactic, but not an false one.
There's a rule on this site about not referencing specific other sites. What's it called? Is there a don't say W***T rule? Most coyly work around this by referencing the "site that shall not be named." Now imagine that if any such reference was enough for expulsion. Worse yet, imagine if the list was broadened but done vaguely enough that no one was sure what sites were and weren't ok. Then add to the punishment the complete loss of livelihood. and the ability to self-police the forum that puts the power in the accuser. How many would even try mentioning another site?

And yes, I know these posts are breaking another rule, but I didn't start it and am shocked it's been allowed to go one and accept any consequences.

Big T 1963

Remember Dreams do come true because YOU ARE THE MAGIC!!!! Thanks Walt you had something to do with this for sure .... we needed this new direction Happy Holiday's all

thomas998

🫢😳😱

A part of me is thinking “Wait is this an elaborate prank? Really?!” Not because I like or dislike Chapek (kinda neutral on him) but wow how fast and without warning!
The writing was on the wall with the stock price dropping as it did You started the year near 160 and a few days ago it was close to 85... If Chapek didn't see the writing on the wall he was more of an idiot than I thought.

VJ

I'll never understand the anger at the underlings whether it's D'Amaro or McCarthy (or even Feige for some strange reason).

What exactly did McCarthy do that deserves her being fired?

What did D'Amaro ever do -- that wasn't determined by his boss -- that deserved him being fired? You wanted him to stand up to Chapek and tell him he refuses to enact Genie+? He'd be immediately fired.

Tell me what they did, which wasn't foisted upon them, that deserves being fired.
What did Chapek do? He's just the board's underling, after all. /s

SteamboatJoe

I think they should have given it more time

But nobody knows what any of that is…which is the push to fringe problem

There’s a reason why “comic book geek” Is a term…gotta push towards main stream at all times
Ageee on both accounts. The MCU thrived because it had mass appeal and was accessible to everyone (EDIT: and star power). If you don't have Disney+ or do but only watch the features, you now are missing much of the story.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

The technology was a nice novelty when Pixar started, but it was hardly the main reason for their success.
I agree, but it was a cool new toy that attracted and inspired a unique group of creative thinkers. I don't think you could assemble that kind of team with an established technology.

Midlife Mouse

Pixar simply made good films. Sure, they knew the tech had tremendous potential. But they never forgot they were still making movies, and unless you are striving to be a one-hit wonder, the tech would not be enough.
Story was key to their early run, and I feel like they lost their way a bit when Joe Ranft died. He was the heart and soul of their story process.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom