Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

Touchdown

Original Poster
Latest map, of note the track is not updated at 0800, 1400, 2000 just the position.

D8AD28B3-589F-4151-A8CA-3024EBB35A0D.jpeg

The storm is positioned slightly south of its expected spot from 5am, hopefully a sign the storm will still take a western route. The big one is 3 hours away at 11am.

JohnD

Latest map, of note the track is not updated at 0800, 1400, 2000 just the position.

View attachment 668994

The storm is positioned slightly south of its expected spot from 5am, hopefully a sign the storm will still take a western route. The big one is 3 hours away at 11am.
I have a new issue. It’s my return home. This thing makes landfall on Fri. Yes, I know bands arrive first and landfall is defined as the eye crossing land. I check out on Saturday. I’ll cross that bridge then.

Touchdown

Original Poster
If anyone is wondering, my trip will be delayed until Friday later today unless these criteria are met:

1. Orlando leaves the cone of uncertainty
2. The white cone (3 day forecast ) stays completely in the Gulf.

The latest runs have me very worried a Cat 3/4 will hit Tampa and then stall giving FL a soaking rain Tues-Thur.

Last edited:

Lilofan

If anyone is wondering, my trip will be delayed until Friday later today unless these criteria are met:

1. Orlando leaves the cone of uncertainty
2. The white cone (3 day forecast ) stays completely in the Gulf.

The latest runs have me very worried a Cat 3/4 will hit Tampa and then stall giving FL a soaking rain Tues-Thur.
Soaking rain is an understatement. 8-12 inches of rain will flood a number of streets , shut down main roads etc. If I was at the theme parks I would wear flip flops because pretty much a given more than ankle deep in water. A Cat 4 would heavily damage homes and downtown Tampa . Hopefully that’s not what’s coming.

Lilofan

In another non scientific bad sign for Tampa, Jim Cantore has been spotted in Clearwater Beach.
Now I can see Anderson Cooper of CNN reporting right from the eye of the hurricane. He’s brave and usually in harms way in many of his live on the air reporting. How those guys don’t get blown away in those intense storms is amazing.

Lilofan

The storm will be gone by then. The NHC forecast has it making landfall in the Florida Panhandle on Friday. As @Touchdown indicated the next NHC update to watch will be the 11am update in about an hour.
I believe I’ve heard that by Monday afternoon the weather teams can zero in where the hurricane will make landfall in FL. By that time it would be too late to do hurricane prep. This should be happening or already happened by FL residents. Hopefully all the boats have left the West Coast FL water fronts and sailed further west towards TX.

JohnD

I believe I’ve heard that by Monday afternoon the weather teams can zero in where the hurricane will make landfall in FL. By that time it would be too late to do hurricane prep. This should be happening or already happened by FL residents. Hopefully all the boats have left the West Coast FL water fronts and sailed further west towards TX.
I’m going to have a wet week at WDW regardless. I’m driving down from Jax later this morning. You know what they say, “A wet day at Disney is better than a dry day anywhere else” despite the roadblocks Chapek and Co. put in our way. I’ll make a week of it anyway.

Touchdown

Original Poster
I’m going to have a wet week at WDW regardless. I’m driving down from Jax later this morning. You know what they say, “A wet day at Disney is better than a dry day anywhere else” despite the roadblocks Chapek and Co. put in our way. I’ll make a week of it anyway.
If a Cat 3/4 hits Tampa and then stalls, parks will close early Tues and stay that way potentially for as long as Fri.

Door Coaster

what will be Hurricane Hermine is expected to hit Florida Wednesday as a F2 (110 mph) storm.
A few things:

1. This is Ian. A disturbance off Africa grabbed Hermine first.
2. The F scale was used for tornadoes, but has since been retired and replaced with the EF scale. Hurricanes use the Saffir-Simpson scale and this is a Category 2, not an F2.

Lilofan

Like your attitude! Whatever weather event it brings people closer together in these times. Take some pics if you have a chance and share if you like !

Touchdown

Original Poster
A few things:

1. This is Ian. A disturbance off Africa grabbed Hermine first.
2. The F scale was used for tornadoes, but has since been retired and replaced with the EF scale. Hurricanes use the Saffir-Simpson scale and this is a Category 2, not an F2.
1. It wasn’t when I started this thread 3 days ago
2. Sorry about that, but welcome to the thread! Didn’t think it worthwhile to update the first post.

JohnD

Like your attitude! Whatever weather event it brings people closer together in these times. Take some pics if you have a chance and share if you like !
I’m wondering if the parks will close at all at this point. If not I’m in AK on Wed. where I have Savor the Savannah scheduled. Maybe it will still go on rain or shine. Likely rain. I’ll just have to see.

The Mom

Premium Member
I believe I’ve heard that by Monday afternoon the weather teams can zero in where the hurricane will make landfall in FL. By that time it would be too late to do hurricane prep. This should be happening or already happened by FL residents.
I am always ready except for extra gas for the generator, and perishable items, such as fruit and dairy. Along with snacks and more adult beverages, plus some soft drinks.

I have stores of cat food, litter, batteries, etc. Being without power for a week after a hurricane made me take stocking emergency supplies more seriously - including buying a generator. But since it uses gas, I have battery powered items for personal comfort - such as fans, lights, radios, TV (I can pick up JAX 4 just fine) ,etc to lessen the load, and reserve the generator for the refrigerator and nighttime A/C & fan use.

Lilofan

I’m wondering if the parks will close at all at this point. If not I’m in AK on Wed. where I have Savor the Savannah scheduled. Maybe it will still go on rain or shine. Likely rain. I’ll just have to see.
Last time we visited DAK and rode on the safari truck the CM safari driver said the animals absolutely love the rain and many of them come out and play !

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom