Sightlines are being destroyed everywhere

Vegas Disney Fan

So many of these issues would not require millions to address, particular if addressed early.

A connection to a larger environment is what really distinguishes a theme park from an amusement park. The definition of the land as a storytelling experience is what makes for the experience. There’s a reason that people so consistently talk about reworking studio parks to not just be soundstages, because it’s not really a pleasant environment which is not bothering with show buildings pushed to their most extreme.
But there’s a huge difference from soundstages used as a theme and a building that’s fully themed from the primary view but has a visible show building from an unintentional angle.

A Big blue box that will never be hidden is disgraceful, being able to see the Tron building from a side angle until the trees grow in a bit is not the same level though.

lazyboy97o

But there’s a huge difference from soundstages used as a theme and a building that’s fully themed from the primary view but has a visible show building from an unintentional angle.
An existing guest area is not an unintentional angle. It is known, especially now when technology has also made it easier than ever to do sight line studies. In the case of TRON it wouldn’t even require that much effort, these issues should not be a surprise to anyone involved.

Pepper's Ghost

Good point. They could probably charge a fee to experience the attraction in the app and skip walking over to it.
An app that does this exists already. It's called Youtube, and you don't even have to pay $15 a day to experience it on your phone. In fact, you don't even have to leave home. I guess Disney is in real trouble when that app catches on, huh? 🤣

Pepper's Ghost

A Big blue box that will never be hidden is disgraceful, being able to see the Tron building from a side angle until the trees grow in a bit is not the same level though.
I'm calling BS on that "unintentional angle" malarkey, too. 😁 NOTHING Disney has ever done is unintentional. They're playing 3-dimensional chess in many ways. When it comes to sightlines, they've just stopped caring. You're telling me that when they built an Amazon warehouse-sized building in the park, they didn't realize it'd be visible from Fantasyland? It's not unintentional. It's plain disregard for one of the things that once separated them from the rest. They could've designed it to be better hidden, or at least with a plethora of trees and shrubs to mostly obscure, but eventually completely obscure the eyesore.

As for the lazy engineer comment... I don't think anyone attacked any engineers. I think it's the design that sucks... not the design of the ride, but of the land surrounding the building of course. And if the powers that be didn't give enough budget dollars to design the exterior appropriately, it's still "Disney". We're blaming Disney for this lack of caring about these things... not individual departments within Disney.

montyz81

Original Poster
I'm calling BS on that "unintentional angle" malarkey, too. 😁 NOTHING Disney has ever done is unintentional. They're playing 3-dimensional chess in many ways. When it comes to sightlines, they've just stopped caring. You're telling me that when they built an Amazon warehouse-sized building in the park, they didn't realize it'd be visible from Fantasyland? It's not unintentional. It's plain disregard for one of the things that once separated them from the rest. They could've designed it to be better hidden, or at least with a plethora of trees and shrubs to mostly obscure, but eventually completely obscure the eyesore.

As for the lazy engineer comment... I don't think anyone attacked any engineers. I think it's the design that sucks... not the design of the ride, but of the land surrounding the building of course. And if the powers that be didn't give enough budget dollars to design the exterior appropriately, it's still "Disney". We're blaming Disney for this lack of caring about these things... not individual departments within Disney.
Which really comes down to the guy approving projects like this. Cheap—-ek.

Pepper's Ghost

Couldn't the Tron building just have been made to look like a giant computer tower? Either an old school one, or one of the new see-through with lights and stuff. People go crazy with PC towers these days.
I was wondering where you were going with this. 🤣 I thought computer towers were like having record players these days, but then I did a little Googling. I guess as they say... that's not your dad's computer tower, or record player. Who'd a thunk.

computer tower.jpg
turntable-2048px-0833.jpg

This is what I remember from when I was a kid...
Vintage-Compaq-Presario-9546-Desktop-Tower-Pentium-1.jpg

DCLcruiser

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom